My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! I am new to Simplicity and pretty much GTs in general so I need some help.

I am trading a 2003 Kawasaki Bayou 250 atv, in hopes of finding a GT. I had a guy offer an older Simplicity with snow blade. I am waiting to find out what year it is. (Update- he said mid 80's with a 19 hp K twin- I assumed it was 17 hp since it was a 7117 but maybe I was wrong)

He said it is NOT hydrostatic, what else should I be looking for. I am looking for a tractor to mow, plow and till with, possibly add a lift as well.

Only pic I have, not the greatest.

Attachments

· Registered
63 Posts
Same tractor I have. AFAIK mine is hydrostatic, not belt driven. They're pretty heavy duty machines and should be able to handle everything you mentioned.

I'm sure there are others on here with more info than me though....

John

· Registered
427 Posts
It probably had a new motor at some point in its life. The 7117's shipped with 17hp Kohlers I believe. The model number does correspond to hp, my 7116 has a 16hp briggs.
A new engine is not necessarily bad, unless you're looking for a purely original machine. As long as it's spec'd at or above the original you're fine if not better off.

It looks like a nice machine, but as a general rule its a lot easier to buy something that has as many attachments as you think you need included with it than to try and hunt them down. Especially with stuff like the tiller, which needs a linkage on the tractor that never seems to be with tillers sold separately.
I suspect you'll want a hydro as well, as those (usually?) have a hydrolic lift for the deck and rear implement. Tilling with a hydro is also nicer.

btw, manuals are available from http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/ - not that the hammerwall link doesn't work, but its easier to get stuff directly from the maker when available

· Registered
153 Posts
I've got a Hydrostatic version of that machine here, it came to me minus the engine. If I ever get around to it, I plan to retrofit a 16hp Briggs single cylinder from a 7116.
I sort of assumed that all the Kohler 17 opposed engines back then had some sort of issue. I've yet to find a machine or engine that isn't blown up.

· Registered
515 Posts
You would be much better off if the engine has been replaced as the engines that came in these were prone to lubrication problems. The later versions of this engine had full oil pressure and were much more durable. I don't know what your plans are for the tractor but Hydros are a good thing for most applications. Especially mowing and snow blowing. Mine is a hydro and has a Kohler 18 hp. Magnum engine. Very nice machines and probably ran close to $5000 new.

· Registered
535 Posts
I've got a Hydrostatic version of that machine here, it came to me minus the engine. If I ever get around to it, I plan to retrofit a 16hp Briggs single cylinder from a 7116.
I sort of assumed that all the Kohler 17 opposed engines back then had some sort of issue. I've yet to find a machine or engine that isn't blown up.
All kt17 s weren't bad. I just sold a 82 A/C 917 that I owned since 86 . It used no oil and never even had the muffler off of it. Had the motor off the tractor in 89 to replace the starter, other than points, oil and plugs that was it. Still ran great when I sold it Moved up to a legacy.

· Registered
419 Posts
Looks like a 3 speed with the hi/lo option, meaning 6 speeds total. With the snow blade and mower deck you are good for plowing snow and summer grass cutting.

Ask if he/she has the belt guards for the mower deck, they are missing in the pic you posted.

Last, wipe down and inspect the axle tube (on the right side, between the transaxle housing and the differential which hangs on the end the axle tube by the right side wheel). Look all around and feel with your fingers to make sure there are no cracks in it. If there are, it can be replaced ($200 worth of parts and some work on your part) but that should net you a steep discount on the purchase price of the tractor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.