My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my 7013 and came across a 7116 and 7117 and wanted to get your thoughts on which is the better choice. I have heard the stories about the KTs and believe this has the series II. So which does everyone prefer the single cylinder Briggs or twin kohler KTII and why.

Other than the engine and modified frame to fit the kohler are there any other differences that would make one better then the other (not considering hydraulic lift possibility on the 7117).

If someone were to tie these two guys up and pull, who would win? And with the least maintenence.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oh boy are you opening a can of worms here. Kohler verses Briggs ought to bring them out of the woodwork. I own the 7117 but it was upgraded to the Magnum 18 hp. Mine has electric lift which works fine but seems a tad slower than the hydro lift. We will see how it works with the snow blower this winter. The singles are noted for torque but vibrate. The twins are smooth but are heavier and tend to put more of a load on the front axle so steering requires more input from you. If the 7117 is longer than the 7116, your turning radius is going to be larger. As far as a pull off goes there are too many variables to consider to give a good answer. I'd be more concerned about fuel consumption.
Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I like both. The kt runs smoother and quieter...the briggs more old school and better on gas. Either way you can not go wrong...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't even think about the fuel consumption, is it noticable between the two? And I would imagine the 7119 is even worse.

Are there any issues with the KTIIs that still remain?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I run my kt17 and it runs great! No smoke and tons of power. The fuel difference is not a lot, I can cut an acre lawn about 2.5 times on the kt. 3 times on the briggs. Not a big deal but I did notice it. It would not sway my decision either way, just pointing it out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
When looking at the mowers I wouldn't worry about the fuel as much as the condition of the units. Smoking, rust on the deck, hydrostatic, would be my concerns plus I have found my units run better on premium, no ethanol, so gas is a concern but not the top priority. If all things considered as fairly equal I would go with the Kohler, my preference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 7116. lawn deck, tiller, snow thrower and clipping vacuum. It is 22-23 years old and although Simplicity does not maintain an active catalog of parts, I have found it easy to maintain and repair.
The only Kohler engine I have is in my Crafstman. I was surprised by its ability to work- but I am still a fan of Briggs- perhaps because it is WI made or that I made dies for it. I find Briggs easier to reach around and work on, the Kohler engine needs more dis-assembly to get to the area you want-in my opinion.
What do you want to use the tractor for-just grass? Both are great. For more I would stick with Briggs as the attachments also run off your engine as it drives your PTO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts