My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have a couple Simplicity 6216, and I have a problem/question about the newest one I bought last night. It runs very, very slow. Third grear on the new one is about the speed of first gear on the old one. We were looking at it today, and it appears that the belt wasn't threaded properly. When we changed the belt, it did speed up some, but then the brakes wouldn't work properly. Is there a connection to the brakes I don't know about? At present, with the belt installed correctly, now the engine won't start. Tis a puzzlement, indeed.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Waidmann

(Hi, swampjeep! Taking your advice)

·
Registered
77 Posts
if you changed the belt routing, did you go back thru the adjustments for the clutch, variable speed, and brakes? I would start there, if I had the belt on wrong when I went thru the adjustments, then they are probably all off again with a different belt routing.

I'm just guessing as I'm definately no simplicity expert. I am however going by a sorta expert's hosue tonight to work on the 7116, I'll ask him about it too.

Oh, and Hi Mark, glad to see you made it on here, hopefully someone else can chime in with some better info for ya.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point, I'm guessing it's got the wrong belt on it. I think the belt on it is an inch or so too short. That's why it's snug enough to run (the belt is snug around the shaft, not the pulley), but it slips enough to keep everything running slowly. When we pull it up and on the pulley, it runs faster, but things are "pulled" (for lack of a better word). I'm not enough of a mechanic to tinker with it beyond what I've already done. I'm going to take it in before I really screw it up. If all it needs is different belt, that's a pretty cheap repair.

I'll let you know what the situation actually was.

Waidmann (aka Mark)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you get your speed problem fixed? I have one with the same problem. I haven't tinkered with it yet, but I am reading all about it on here before I mess with it. It appears on this one that the pulley is not expanding. The belt is riding on the outer edge so it's stuck in the slowest speed.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
worth checking, but I know the tractor in this post still has the variator working, just at a slower speed, not saying it's working 100%, but it would adjust the speed to some degree.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
The following attachment show how to adjust the clutch. One thing it doesn't say, that I found out that helps is. When you have the belts off the var. sheave spray it down with WD-40 and make sure the center portion of the sheave moves side to side easily. Wipe the extra wd-40 off so the belt won't slip.

This adjustment is a pain in the *** but worth it in the end.

Attachments

·
Coach John
106 Posts
Just finished getting my"new" old 6216 running last night. Was able to vary speed with pulleys, WOT, but the clutch and brake need adjusting. Thought I was going to the moon first time I backed the clutch out, and raised the front end. Still have work to finish on it, and hope it worked great with the blower this winter. Will be reading more about the adjustments.. Thanks

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Just finished getting my"new" old 6216 running last night. Was able to vary speed with pulleys, WOT, but the clutch and brake need adjusting. Thought I was going to the moon first time I backed the clutch out, and raised the front end. Still have work to finish on it, and hope it worked great with the blower this winter. Will be reading more about the adjustments.. Thanks
You won't have any problems with snow!

Attachments

·
Coach John
106 Posts
Used my 52125 w/ 36" blower for 19 years, and the 6216 with 42" should work even better. One plus I now have a snow cab, but no cup holder..... Great photo!

·
Registered
77 Posts
The following attachment show how to adjust the clutch. One thing it doesn't say, that I found out that helps is. When you have the belts off the var. sheave spray it down with WD-40 and make sure the center portion of the sheave moves side to side easily. Wipe the extra wd-40 off so the belt won't slip.

This adjustment is a pain in the *** but worth it in the end.
this is weird, the book that I had for my 6216 was different, teh cluch adjustment said to adjust the nut untill teh pulley touched the frame, then back off 2 full turns, nothing about this petal measurement. If I still had the book I would scan it in and post it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I'm back after a really busy couple months. Kids are back in school, so things have calmed down a wee bit. However, hunting season begins in a couple weeks, so they are about to heat up again.

I did take the tractor in to Frank and Jessie's Tractor Repair shop for them to look at. They adjusted the brakes, adjusted all the pulleys and belts, and it runs exactly the same. Very slow. Now we're really puzzled. My one 6216 is three times as fast.

I don't think it's the variator. That seems to be working fine, although it's hard to tell when the difference between them is really slow and just about as slow. But it does seem to speed up a bit when the handle is up.

Is it possible this is an adjustment problem? Perhaps the clutch is partly engaged? Or something? How the heck can I get this fixed? Is there a governor of some sort?

The way things are now, I can't use the tractor the way I want to. It would take 5 hours to cut the 3 acre lawn, and I don't have that kind of time.

Waidmann

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I still think something is binding or your variator pulleys do not have the full range of motion. I would remove the belts and the dash and get a good look underneath. There are two slightly different versions of this system and they each have slightly different adjustments, just be sure the manual matches the MFR# of your tractor. My 6216 was also painfully slow until I removed the pulleys and freed up the swing arm as in the link I posted. Now its very fast!

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
Have you checked that the driven pulley (Tranny input) is tight and not spinning on its shaft? I think it only has a set screw to hold it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I"m not enough of a mechanic to take off the dash and fiddle with the variator pulleys. Although my neighbor probably is. I'll show him these posts and see if he has time to pull it apart and take a look.

Now, nowever, I have a slightly different situation. I decided not to take it up to the land, and leave it home where I only have a normal sized lot to mow. Today I began mowing it, and it was slow as a snail. But, lo and behold, about halfway through mowing, it began to speed up. By the end of the lawn, it was moving almost as fast as I think it should be. I'll drive it tomorrow to see if it starts out fast or slow, but at least it did speed up.

Is this consistent with a variator pulley? Something that was bound up, but loostened up as it was used?

Waidmann

1 - 16 of 16 Posts