My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I haven't paid for it yet, but the owner is getting bombarded with emails w/people wanting to know all about it. Whats wrong with it, how did it run, yada, yada. He says I emailed first and wanted to know was I buying it, cause I said I could get it today, if convenient (it wasn't for him) so I'm going to get it tomorrow. I told him it looked in good shape. He stopped using it because he got one of those Green riders........hmmm, w/ a plastic hood, yet. So his Simp was running up till then.

I'm seeing another thread here about disengaging the hydro.........so does a 4212 have hydro setup in it. I could swear this one looks like it is a stick with a shifter in between the legs......anybody fill me in on that hydro deal like the other guy is asking on his 4212?

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
They came both ways. The one in the pic is a stick. I had one just like it, it was a hand me down and ran like a champ. Still does actually as my BIL has it now.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yea, am I wrong about the width of the deck. I really don't know much about them at all, but I liked this one being in such nice shape. Is the cut on this 36" or 42" ??

I had assumed it was a 42" based on the 4212 model designation, but now I have found a owners manual and their isn't a 42" in any info I've found so far. The owners manual is going to be handy. I have it in .pdf file.

Oh, the manual copy date was 1983, so is that about the range of age for this one. If it has the Briggs, I'll know better tomorrow. But I was guessing late 70's by the all metal hood and no plastic anywhere........

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
38" is perfect for my yard. I had a 38" Murray and sold it(now regret that)and never had the issue with bent blades that I do with a larger deck size.

Thanks.....

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got a little done today with it.

Got a new battery in it, and the engine cranks and started with carb cleaner sprayed into the throat. Engine appears to be good, I didn't see any smoke and it fired right up and sounded normal.

Further inspection revealed a possible problem with the trans axle pulley. I noticed the drive belt wasn't in place and when I began to try to slip it back on, I discovered the pulley is free wheeling. It doesn't appear to be connected to the input shaft. Trans axle shifter is engaging the gears properly, and in neutral, the wheels free wheel as they should.

It needs tires, as the ones that are on it, have more than weather cracking, more like weather HOLES! LOL! Well, they aren't that bad, but they won't hold air longer than a half hour if that long.

Also the paint is sun faded, but I might be able to bring back some of the shine with some rubbing compound. I was impressed that there is very little rust. I haven't had a chance to get a look at the deck itself.

I'll get some photo's as soon as the rains go away.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well here it is after the rains. I didn't even have a chance to get it under cover.

You can see the sun fade color where I have the seat pan up - the Deep Orange is quite a contrast to the rest.

Briggs engine code is 89xxxxxx, so it is either 89 or 90

4212 model 1691427 serial 5069

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts