My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Evenng

Working on the neighbors 3414H and have an electrical issue.
This mower was bought used, and the P.O. cobbled every wire on the tractor (including the high tension plug wire). The voltage regulator was fried and the generator was putting out full voltage all the time. The regulator was replaced with a used unit. The mag and ignition switch are new.
I re-wired the tractor, endedup replacing the dash with a newer piece that has the amp guage instead of the idiot light.
The engine (14 H.P. Briggs) starts up and runs strong. It was used for about a week, then it started to miss and finally died. The problem is that it keeps frying the circuit breaker (20 AMP).
What would cause this? Voltage regulator? How do you trouble shoot this?
Thanks to all who respond.:thanku:

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
im not a pro but sounds like a short grounding out to me. what else would fry a circuit breaker ?

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
I would start by identifying the charging system on the engine first and take it from there. What do you have for wires coming out from under the flywheel? Is it a black and white wire with white connector? a single red wire with a green connector? we need to first determine if you have an AC alternator that is unregulated...etc..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Evening

The tractor was wired as per an owners manual for a 3416H. There are no electrical accesories.
There are a total of three wires form the mag; the high tension lead to the spark plug, a ground (black), and the the lead to the points/condensor (white).
Unfortunatly, the site with the diagram will not open for me.
Thanks to all.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
Good Evening

The tractor was wired as per an owners manual for a 3416H. There are no electrical accesories.
There are a total of three wires form the mag; the high tension lead to the spark plug, a ground (black), and the the lead to the points/condensor (white).
Unfortunatly, the site with the diagram will not open for me.
Thanks to all.
The link was to the Owner's Manual. Don't know why it did not work for you, but I guess you do not need it anyway.

I probably can't help you much. Were the new regulator and switch the right ones for the tractor? There are several variations of each of them.

Maybe you could measure amps on the wire leaving the "L" terminal of the switch. Or maybe measure what is going into the regulator where the wire from the breaker goes into it. Amps must be getting sucked up by one of those wires connected to the breaker. Anything flaky about the new ammeter?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That 20 amp breaker should have no interface with the ignition what so ever. I would take the ground wire loose from the keyed switch and see if it corrects the problem. The switch is the only place where the ignition and starter/charging systems come into close proximity. I an guessing that the keyed switch is faulty and starts shorting out into the charging system intermittently as the tractor vibrates and rocks and rolls in use. When the tha switch grounds out it pops the breaker and eventually the grounding gets constant enough to kill the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts