My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95-98 simplicity (not sure) 16hp vanguard ohv. mowed a week ago, ran great. went out yesterday and cranked and it was back firing and running like crap. long story short i pulled the valve cover and the pushrods were laying in the bottom. the aluminum one (intake maybe?) was bent. i think they got too loose and just slipped out. so i ordered new ones on eaby.

so they look the same length except one is aluminum and the other is steel. anyone know if i can replace the aluminum one with a steel one? good idea or not? do i have another problem that caused this? thanks in advance

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,174 Posts
Well you didn't post the engine model number but IF it really is a 16 hp Vanguard V Twin, the aluminum pushrod goes on the exhaust. In B&S engines, whatever valve has the compression release function will have the aluminum pushrod. I assume it has to do with heat expansion. While I have heard of people with Intek V Twins and some singles substituting a steel pushrod and apparently working OK at that time, I don't know if they may have had trouble later. I would not do that.

You need to check the height of the valve guides. They should not extend more than 1/8" above the head casting. Valve guides coming loose, working up and hitting the valve spring retainer is a frequent cause of what you describe. This is caused by plugged cooling shroud resulting in over heating.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so i think the valve guide came loose like you said. if you sitting on the seat its the left head. is that cyl 1 or 2? sounds like a common problem. new head is @$210. found a couple used ones on ebay for @$50 but i need to know if i need cyl 1 or 2. thanks

·
Tractor Nerd
3,239 Posts
Ack vanguard. Yes you can use a steel rod but make sure the measurements are there. If to long shave it. If it was me, I would get rid of those cheap vanguards and get something more reliable or even a older B&S engine that does have internal bearings.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
"Cheap" Vanguard? That's one of the best small engines ever made. Speaking of bearings, what kind of bearings does your car or truck use?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Vanguards are great engines and used on mostly commercial applications.
If you have one in a lawn mower or garden tractor that is why you paid a premium.

These engines are made by contract for Briggs and Stratton via Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey dere;

You're very right in that vangards are not at all cheap. By the time it blows up, search for more nippon parts, sell out the American worker, you are paying a very stiff price indeed. The old American ones were made so much better , there ain't no compare

all the best

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,174 Posts
Ack vanguard. Yes you can use a steel rod but make sure the measurements are there. If to long shave it. If it was me, I would get rid of those cheap vanguards and get something more reliable or even a older B&S engine that does have internal bearings.
You don't think that the aluminum pushrod was used for a reason? Read my first post.The pushrods are the same length.

By the way, NOT SURE, you can repair that head. For instructions contact me at address below, put in proper format and remind me.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts