My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

i've been sorting through all sorts of gremlins on my very used but still running strong 12.5lth (model 1691886). i fixed all the electrical stuff (including a bad solenoid) and it starts and runs perfectly.

problem now is with the transmission. i shift into forward and it goes but its clear that most of the power the engine makes is not going to the wheels. it struggles to go up hills though it does get up to speed in the flats. i ultimately want to pull a cart with this tractor so i need to sort this out.

any ideas?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Check the belt from the trans to the motor? Might even want to check the pulleys on the motor and on the trans to make sure they didn't shear a key.

O and fluid levels in the trans.:dunno:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Check the belt from the trans to the motor? Might even want to check the pulleys on the motor and on the trans to make sure they didn't shear a key.

O and fluid levels in the trans.:dunno:
:ditto: It might be a belt slipping when you're trying to go up hill. If it's not that, it could be that your transaxle fluid's either low or has lost its viscosity and needs to be changed.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:ditto: It might be a belt slipping when you're trying to go up hill. If it's not that, it could be that your transaxle fluid's either low or has lost its viscosity and needs to be changed.
by the transaxle fluid you mean the fluid that i can see in the hydro reservoir? or is there another fluid in the transaxle itself? sorry to be such a noob but i've never owned a car/truck with an automatic transmission of any sort.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw, is it OK to stand these tractors up on the back wheels? i know you could do that with some older tractors, just not sure about this one.

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
He means the oil in the transmission hatmakes the whole thing work. That little reservoir is just an expension tank.

You can drain the trans by jacking up the tractor and removing the hose that enters the side near the bottom. Let it drip for quite a while to get out as much as possible. Be sure to drain the plastic reservoir and, if possible, remove and clean the screen. Refill with 4.3 pints/2 liters SAE 30 oil.

If that does not work, ouch.

It is possible filter is clogged but it is inside transmission -- requires removal of end plate, etc. etc.

Try an oil change and prayer first if the belt does not do it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi oifla.

I have the same tractor and had a problem with the same thing. Oiled up the linkages on the brake and all was well. Make sure it is coming back all the way after you take your foot off it. Pull it back with your hand if you have to.
Just a thought.

Kevin

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi oifla.

I have the same tractor and had a problem with the same thing. Oiled up the linkages on the brake and all was well. Make sure it is coming back all the way after you take your foot off it. Pull it back with your hand if you have to.
Just a thought.

Kevin
oiled up the linkages, applied grease where the manual called for it. that seems to help. my brake pedal doesn't bounce all the way back but it is much better than when i picked up the mower.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new belt was probably not necessary but the refreshed oil was. took a while to go in but the little tractor is alive again. it seems to have much more power to the ground and it runs much smoother.

the belt that i replaced was a simplicity belt and i'm thinking it was the original/factory belt. that made me think the fluid was also original. well that and how nasty it was when compared to what i put it.

it took a while to get the wheels spinning after i replaced the fluid but i jacked up the rears and left it in drive for a while and that got things going. a few minutes of running the tractor in forward and then reverse seemed to really get the fluid in and the air out. like i said, it seems to run much better now. better low end and much better top speed.

i didn't get to give the tractor a full run because the ground was so wet from all the rain we got today but i will try it tomorrow.

thanks all for the assist!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the simplicity runs very nice and the replacement of the trans fluid definitely made an impact. having a small issue with the trans though. when it is in the neutral slot it slowly starts creeping in reverse. it is only a little bit but enough that i have to put it in drive a bit to offset this rearward drive. is there a way to reset the neutral spot on these transmissions? i hope that's clear (if not i can explain further)

·
Registered
160 Posts
the simplicity runs very nice and the replacement of the trans fluid definitely made an impact. having a small issue with the trans though. when it is in the neutral slot it slowly starts creeping in reverse. it is only a little bit but enough that i have to put it in drive a bit to offset this rearward drive. is there a way to reset the neutral spot on these transmissions? i hope that's clear (if not i can explain further)
This should help with the neutral adjustment:

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/document/index.cfm?doc=TP_700_1220_06_XX_SMA_LO.pdf

On page 21, don't be confused by the page numbering for the different setups. They should read 22, 23 and 24 instead of 21, 22 and 23.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks homesteader, that looks promising. i should be able to adjust the transmission using those instructions, much appreciated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts