My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi....
Getting a wonderfully late start on things I am working to get my 1050 into service for the year. I forgot to put in any stabilizers sadly and so have been working to get it to start. I have so far replaced the gas, the small gas filter, the spark plug, but it still does not start. Note: Not engine savvy.

My brother suggested it could be carburetor related, not having properly stored it, but before I go and try to remove it and break it down in whatever manner for cleaning (I found the PDF service manual from a different post here, sweet!) are there simple things I can do to see if it can be gotten running?
Any help would be cool.

-Scott

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Be careful with carb cleaners as they can ruin the foam seals on the outside of the shafts that filter the air that would otherwise carry dirt into the shaft bearing.

One trick I often do to save a full carb removal/cleaning is to unscrew the jet needles so the dirt can move on through. I also stick the red straw on the WD40 into the jet hole and wash the jets with WD40. Nine times out of ten, the dirt gets moved forward but now and then it will shove it back, only to stop in the jet later.

If you run the carb dry, the fuel pump will move a large volume in a short time with enough force to carry dirt into the carb that otherwise would stay in the lines/filter. If you like to run the carb dry, disconnect the fuel line from the carb and flush the lines out.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Also, if you run it dry, the valve seals in the pump may dry out/curl and not be able to pick up a prime. Sometimes, starting the engine on ether or with a shot of gas down the throat may be enough to get the pump primed.

A little air pressure in the fuel tank may also help to get the fuel going. Disconnecting the fuel line at the carb might also help to release the air lock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, I will try it. I still am getting the outer housing off (yay, no time with 3 kids running around) to inspect the carburetor. I will try those things before anything more serious.

-Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts