If I am understanding you correctly. You have carbon core wires. They are good for not causing static in older radios and TV,s but not good for endurance. The fine pin pearces the core in the wire making a connection. If you have a hole in the wire, it it time for new wires. They work okay but require more attention.
You could just clean up the spark plug, using a spark plug cleaner (basically a small sand/shot in a sack with air to clean the threads and end of the spark plug). Once a year I visit my friend, bring him treats/drinks and clean about a couple of dozen spark plugs. It takes a while because we catch up/BS along with eating and drinking. No more than 30 minutes to do the plugs.