My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the find
click here that I'm interested in.

I think it's a nice little project after the untimely death of the JD 108 (see John Deere mower section), but being stuck in gear concerns me. Any ideas on how to deal with that?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I learned at simpletractors.com, its called the bent screwdriver trick. One of the shifting forks may be stuck. I fixed a 7016, this may be the same. You need to see if there is an inspection hole. Next you use a screwdriver to follow the two rods, one will have a shifting fork bound. Of course it could be an all together different problem. Those little guys go for 100-200 in running condition and the blowers are not a big add on in price. I bet you could find a good running one with a blower for 150 and not worry about it.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
I think it looks generally neglected and probably needs a good go through - most of that a fairly easy project. So, do you want to do tranny work?
If you are willing to take that chance, I think the price is a desperate reach - and is merely an ask for a true price of $100. And possibly less than that. I think the blower helps to prop up the price; but it is pictured growing weeds. And I think, overall, it has been run into the ground; and owner is no mechanic. I wonder about deck bearings also. But the big problem might be motor if it won't run. This one has ALL the usual risks with a bonus challenge.

If you want to play in the shop for a few weeks, it could be fun.... for a low price. And you could argue that you could resell or part it to recover investment, if all goes down.

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll pass on this one. Thanks guys!

Keep it simple... lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts