1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
Starting trouble D-Dogg

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think it's awesome that Sears is upping the ante with a high end GT. I bleed green, but absolutely love the lines that Simplicity makes on the lawn. None better...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I don't understand the problem. It is a link in the Simplicity Forum to a thread about a Simplicity built machine. It happens in the Murray Forum all the time, and it is appreciated by us that may have otherwise missed the thread or information because of its original placing.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
It`s nothing new Sears or Craftsmen have their LT`s, GT`s and ZTR`s built by many different Manufactures. If you go to Sears you`ll find Snapper sitting on the show room floor. Guess who owns Snapper and Simplicity and even the few new lawn tractor that has the Allis Chalmers name attached to it, one`s even a all wheel steer model, which is pretty cool and priced right. Looks just like a Regent, that not a bad thing.

Thing is Gray this is a open forum where anyone can post a comment. I posted before and got remarks made to me that were uncalled for just because I don`t own that brand of tractor, it was a general question that applied to all brand, so what. get over it. Just look at the number of members this forum has and you think there are to many Mods, come on.

It maybe a Simplicity built my them, but to Sears specs. one things for sure the deck removal will be easier then any AYP built tractor, ever was. I don`t care for the heat magnet black paint job.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Obviously the craftsman is only a half-bred simplicity. No filter, no discussion about the rear end, I bet its not the full roller deck either. There have been Montgomery Wards and Jc Pennys tractors and they were usually cheaper knock offs, smaller motors, no headlights, etc. Didn't sears just get a simplicity based zero turn? Wasn't the new allis chalmers a murry deck? This is what we will get since briggs took over. It looks like a simplicity today, but in 5 years parts will more closely resemble a murry. Heck, even the new pretige and conquest are not truly comparable durability wise with the old sovereign and 716 allis. Good machines, well, they have some improvements like foot control, power steering, turning radius, etc... Is the frame and rear end as heavy? Personally I do not think so. They are also selling a mower on horsepower. I have a 64 landlord with a 9hp that will outpull a lot of 20's. Its just where the new simplicity is headed. Keep your old machine. Methinks it will outlast all the new ones!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I sidelaughI can understand Grays sentiments. The tractor is a SIMPLE CITY not a simplicity. :sidelaugh

Sorry Gray, i had to do it.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Burntime, I do believe 90% of Sears merchandise is on sale at any given time during the year. I would imagine Simplicity considered the effect upon their dealers in striking this deal with Sears, and made sure they offered something slightly less than a full blown Conquest.

Consider, last night, I could have gotten an additional 15% discount by opening a Sears charge card, and could have pulled out my "10% off my next purchase" coupon, received in response to my complaint about their auto center screwing up my last tire purchase.

The Simplicity dealer 3 miles away would have had a fit!

But, I am glad Sears now offers such a machine to Sears loyalists (which I happen to be for whatever reason).

Sure, the oldies are always better in many respects, but consider that many (who are not members) will be very interested in a new, top of the line machine from Sears.

I'm also certain that the missing Conquest itmes such as the deck rollers could be added aftermarket, though I did not inspect the deck carefully enough to verify that suspicion.

Finally, I feel that this move will bring a little more brand recongition to Simplicity, which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Honestly I do not think Simplicity will be what it is today in 10 years. Briggs swore they would not change anything and a year and a half later they closed the plant in Port Washington. Parts are going up and quality is going down. Simplicity is still a good machine, but the bean counters will keep widdling away at the quality. I think the sears will bring more recognition to the simplicity name like you said, I just thing the lack of service (not like the local simplicity stores are much better) will erode the quality name. Heck, if it does not cut like a simplicity what good is 30hp?:thSick: It is just the way of the future. Like I said earlier, the new allis is a shell of the old simplicity. Keep your old stuff, it will outlast the new stuff! Next time I am at sears I will take a look...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Honestly I do not think Simplicity will be what it is today in 10 years. Briggs swore they would not change anything and a year and a half later they closed the plant in Port Washington. Parts are going up and quality is going down. Simplicity is still a good machine, but the bean counters will keep widdling away at the quality. I think the sears will bring more recognition to the simplicity name like you said, I just thing the lack of service (not like the local simplicity stores are much better) will erode the quality name. Heck, if it does not cut like a simplicity what good is 30hp?:thSick: It is just the way of the future. Like I said earlier, the new allis is a shell of the old simplicity. Keep your old stuff, it will outlast the new stuff! Next time I am at sears I will take a look...

Very well said!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Why not a Craftsmen branded Simplicity. Simplicity has to be the most branded GT in history. Lets see, Deutz-Allis, Agco-Allis, AGCO, Massey-Ferguson, Homelite, Wards, J. C. Penny, TECO, and GII have all sold GT's made by Simplicity. And last but not least 90% of the GT's sold by Allis Chalmers were made by Simplicity.

I'd rather see John Deere selling green Simplicity's than than what they are now!

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
Why not a Craftsmen branded Simplicity. Simplicity has to be the most branded GT in history. Lets see, Deutz-Allis, Agco-Allis, AGCO, Massey-Ferguson, Homelite, Wards, J. C. Penny, TECO, and GII have all sold GT's made by Simplicity. And last but not least 90% of the GT's sold by Allis Chalmers were made by Simplicity.

I'd rather see John Deere selling green Simplicity's than than what they are now!
Well the reason Simplicity countinued to make AGCO and Deutz machine's because It had to do with Allis Being there parent company from the 1960's to the early 80's. It's like when IH sold Cub To MTD in 1981 MTD(CCC) still made Cub's for IH until IH was Bought by Case in 1985. Part of the deal of the sale.:thThumbsU

·
Lost & Found
210 Posts
With the exception of the 30hp Briggs, non-servicable K-66 or K-71, 24x10.5 rear tires, and what looks like a 15" seat.. It's a Snapper GT500(Prestige clone). Snapper being the only clones without the rear deck roller. I checked Snapper's website and noticably, the GT's are no longer listed in the product tab (unless you enter GT500,GT600, etc.. in the search box on the site)...Hmmm... I know Sears has been selling some Snapper models over the past couple years.

The Snapper GT500 Series garden tractor combines durability, performance and unparalleled ease of use with an exciting design, enhanced operator comfort and control.

With tilt wheel, cruise control, power steering, hydraulic attachment lift and Automatic Controlled Traction™, it's more than you'd expect from a garden tractor.

List Price: $7,600 **

Features & Benefits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25-hp Kohler Command™ V-Twin OHV engine
Foot-controlled automatic transmission
Quick Hitch™ attachment removal system
Padded, soft-grip steering wheel
Tilt wheel
Easy-adjust 18" super high-back seat
Cruise control
Four headlight illumination
Automatic Controlled Traction with differential lock
Heavy-duty 10-gauge welded steel frame
Cast-iron steel axle
Hydraulic attachment lift
Power steering
4-gallon fuel tank
500 cca battery
54", 3-blade mowing deck

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Last year I was at our sears store just kicking tires, winter time. there were two Snapper lawn tractor both only had 42" mower decks. I just checked sears.com now and the only thing that came up for Snapper Lawn tractors were small walk behinds and attachments for the Snapper tractor, I guess getting there feet wet testing the market sank to the bottom.

Guess most Sears shopper are more interested in saving money.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
"Guess most Sears shopper are more interested in saving money"

I think most Craftsman customers cannot justify the price difference. Apples to apples, I can see why the AYP's would outsell the Snappers by a large margin. That's not a crack on Snapper either. My YS4500 cost me 1,299.00 last season. 42" deck, foot controlled hydro, TT K46 trans, 21 HP Briggs. Brand new out of box, not a return or scratch and dent. IMHO when it comes to entry and mid level LT's noone in the marketplace can touch Sears when it comes to "Bang for your Buck". Opinions will vary.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
"Guess most Sears shopper are more interested in saving money"

I think most Craftsman customers cannot justify the price difference. Apples to apples, I can see why the AYP's would outsell the Snappers by a large margin. That's not a crack on Snapper either. My YS4500 cost me 1,299.00 last season. 42" deck, foot controlled hydro, TT K46 trans, 21 HP Briggs. Brand new out of box, not a return or scratch and dent. IMHO when it comes to entry and mid level LT's noone in the marketplace can touch Sears when it comes to "Bang for your Buck". Opinions will vary.
Murray used to be that before they went out. My Murray Brand new cost $900 with a 15.5Hp 42" cut 6-speed peerless.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I went on the Sears website and saw the "Simplicity" tractors. They are definitely impressive, however, their Sears Item Numbers begin with 071. That refers to Agri-Fab Corp. Can this still be considered a "Simplicity" tractor?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I went on the Sears website and saw the "Simplicity" tractors. They are definitely impressive, however, their Sears Item Numbers begin with 071. That refers to Agri-Fab Corp. Can this still be considered a "Simplicity" tractor?
I believe 071 is actually a Sears dept number, as explained by a Sears employee here at MTF. I think the MTD's also started with 071 when they first showed up last year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts