My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '67 1067 has a 42" 3-blade side-discharge deck. I was thinking of blocking the exhaust chute, then cutting the back open to make it into a rear discharge deck. I think rear discharge is the best method I've seen for no-clipping-pickup guys like me, since it spreads the clippings out over the same area they were cut from. Do you think that it would work?

JayC

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't know if cutting the deck is a good idea, I doubt it.

Why not block the discharge chute? The deck would then (might) perform like a mulching deck, end of clippings. :dunno:

I had a rear discharge and towed a sweeper. Wife loved that setup. Lawn was groomed! Perhaps a towed lawn vac?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Get ready to use a leaf blower to clean off all of the clippings in on and around the rear end of the tractor and inside of the wheels. I once had a rare never used 48" mulching Toro deck on one of my 117 Groundsmasters. I used my Sawzall and opened up the rear of the deck just like rear discharge versions. Earlier versions of this same deck were rear discharge from the factory until Toro got too many complaints of the engine compartment of the Groundsmasters completely filling up with grass clippings. Stupid me I sold that deck to a guy from North Dakota for $200. I had forgotten it used the same gearbox that my 52" used. I should have kept that deck or at least the gearbox. Wuuuups.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I have the 42" rear discharge on the 310-8 I just got. I'm looking forward to the rear discharge as I've never had one. My concern is as said with clippings covering the rear of tractor. Time will tell if I like or not.

MU

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm pretty sure it wouldnt work, the baffles around the blades and the blades themselves are designed to be side discharge so I wouldn't take the risk of ruining the deck. Also I find if the grass is heavy and you want to hit it a second time to spread it out the side dscharge spreads it better. Who knows though, I've never done a conversion before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts