My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I picked up a Sears model sickle bar mower ID# 917.253120 but I am missing both belts. The one from the motor to the mule drive and the one from the mule drive to the mower. Does anybody know the sizes I need and maybe where to get them? Its going on a SS16.

Also, how thick can the weeds be I can mow? I have weeds and small seedling trees (magic marker size and below).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I'm a little slow today. I looked at the manual and I only need one belt. I just assumed it would need two. Does anybody know of a good source for these?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I have one ordered and am lookinf forward to gettign those weeds.
How big of weed can I mow? Would I damage the teeth if I mowed seedling trees about a foot high?

·
Registered
334 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with small trees but two rules must be adhered to with this tool.

1. Keep your throttle low, perhaps even half. The manual for the sickle bar talks about this. That's because the reciprocating arm on the sickle bar will vibrate like crazy at higher RPMs and threaten to tear itself apart.

2. Keep your ground speed low. I would be hard pressed to recommend much above 2nd gear and HI range. At half throttle that should be just about right.

The thing that really causes a sickle bar to balk is THICK grass, especially if you're going too fast! Hope that helps!

Nate

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, that is very good to know and it helps a bunch. I'll take it slow. Thick grass isn't a worry here but the weeds grow fast and tall. Can't wait for the belt to arrive so I can tackle them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts