My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, when I pulled the shutoff handle yesterday it came out all the way...the cable broke close to the base of the pull handle. 1977 Ford 335 Industrial Diesel so it is not a total surprise. Any tips on how to repair the line, i.e. rejoin the twisted cable?

Thanks,
Richard

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
The cable and handle are an integral part. You need to replace it. The original part number was E5NN9C331EA. That original part number has been superseded by part number 84257062. You can buy one under the new part number from any New Holland dealer for around $19.00 or $20.00. You can search the original part number on Google and find third party after market units for a bit less.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, NR, I ordered one and it has already arrived. Are there any tricks to installing it or pretty straightforward?

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
Since yours broke at the handle end, you should be able to just disconnect the old cable at the injector pump end and slide it out of the sheath and then slide the new one in from the dashboard end and connect the other end of the new cable to the shutoff lever on the pump.

If you bought the entire assembly that includes the sheath then you have 2 choices:

1. slide the new cable out of its sheath and re-use the old sheath.
2. Remove the old sheath which is connected to the dashboard by a nut on the rear. It's easy to get at the nut if the lower sheet metal is already missing as it is on a number of them these days, but if that lower sheet metal is still there it needs to be removed to be able to get at that nut behind the dash.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new one looks nice, but the cable is larger diameter than the old one, so I could not slide it into the old sheathing. I took off the lower panel to see if i can get to the lock nut to remove the old one, but it is pretty high up and I cannot turn the nut with my fingers...getting a wrench in there is next to impossible. I would have to work my way around the light switch, which is under it. NR you mentioned it was easy with the lower panel off, maybe I am missing something?

I tried to find ways to get to it in another way but no luck.

Any ideas guys?

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
You may have to pull the light switch to get to the nut with a wrench. Make sure you mark which wires go to which terminals on the switch before removing it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I can. I have the ROPS and the industrial frame, getting to that spot is so difficult. Will try again this weekend, but I do not have high hopes. Is it difficult to remove or loosen the top panel? If I do that I may also change the instrument cluster, which is in bad shape and the hour counter is not working.

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
The light switch should be easy to get off. The handle should have a set screw on the bottom and you just loosen that and remove the handle and then unscrew the nut holding it to the dash and it should just push in to the hole and drop on its own.

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
Here's a picture of how the light switch is mounted:

·
Registered
272 Posts
If it's a working tractor, and not a trailer queen, I'd just drill a new hole somewhere in the vicinity of the original and install the new sheath and cable. Leave the old one where it is. Problem solved. Good luck.
Duane

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks NR and Duane. It was a battle, but it is done.

Tried to take off the top panel, removed 4 screws, and it was still solid, so abandoned that and just did what NR suggested. It is just a spot that is hard to get to.

Now off to some other issues...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts