My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aquired 2 more older LBs over the weekend (that makes 8 runners!), and was wondering if they were original.
The oldest one is a '77 5239G with a D engine. The other is a '79 7268 with what appears to be an F engine without all the brake/switch junk- F100?
Anyway, could someone tell me what the correct shroud type is for each of them? The Toro lookup seems to get a little vague the further back in years you go. The diagrams show bricktops for both, which I'm sure is incorrect.
Any help would sure be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7268 is a helmet or darth vader shroud. I am unsure about the other one.
KEWL! That's the one it came with, although it's one with the extra holes. I'm not too sure on when they went to those. The one thing the mower didn't come with is the steel shrouding that goes around the flywheel, and I want to make sure and get the right piece the first time.:thanku:

The other one came with the shroud I've heard called the 'horseshoe crab' one. Sort of a teardrop shape.

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's some pictures of the 2 newest ones I got-

Here's the fleet-

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
KEWL! That's the one it came with, although it's one with the extra holes. I'm not too sure on when they went to those. The one thing the mower didn't come with is the steel shrouding that goes around the flywheel, and I want to make sure and get the right piece the first time.:thanku:

The other one came with the shroud I've heard called the 'horseshoe crab' one. Sort of a teardrop shape.
General opinion is that the shroud on the Helmet style didn't get the extra holes until 1983. That's when the part number for the shroud changes. Looks like some nice mowers.:thThumbsU

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
General opinion is that the shroud on the Helmet style didn't get the extra holes until 1983. That's when the part number for the shroud changes. Looks like some nice mowers.:thThumbsU
Thanks! They're all runners, but they all need a little 'this or that'. My dad gave me the 4505 Scamp on the back right when I bought my place. The rings are bad- it'll only run a few minutes. The other Scamp is a Frankenstein 7073. I'll probably swipe the engine off of that (it works really good!), and put it on the 4505.
The 5239G (19 inch Deluxe) has a cracked shroud, but I have an extra 21 inch 'Deluxe' shroud. That's the one that shows a bricktop on the toro lookup, and has me wondering if it's correct.

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! They're all in various states of 'being'. That S21ESN is pretty much all borrowed pieces except for the deck, and the drive that I can't get to disengage:banghead3
It had a broken motor mount on an otherwise great engine, so I put a '92 F on it, starter, battery, pull start, different carb. Only after all that do I notice the brake casting is also cracked- what a money pit! I'm going to just take the brake off and wire the switch back to the throttle console to a toggle switch. It sure runs good!
That 19 Deluxe needs a high/low rpm arm and linkage. I still mowed with it a few days ago. D engines are cool! That one and the suitcase top make this ticking noise when the motor gets loaded up. I think it's the flyweights on the governor.
The best 'looking' one is a 1985 8241AE- it's still got all its paint underneath and everything, BUT the capstan drive won't engage the left wheel, and there's a half dollar sized hole in the deck from some mishap or another. Yet another TIG welding job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts