My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a plug aerator, any recommendations,brinly,agrifab,pros cons.
The JD aerators are about $420. but they look like they are made very well would like to hear your input thanks....

·
MTF Poster
101 Posts
Re: Show me your aerators: Anybody have the John Deere 40" 48" plug aerator?

Unfortunately I don't have any pics on hand. I have a 48" Agrifab and have no complaints about its performance or construction. It is a lot heavier then I expected it to be. My Step Father has the 48" Deere version and I honestly don't see much difference between the 2. We bought them both around the same time 3 years ago. Probably doesn't help you with your decision but I think you'd be fine with any of the brands you listed:fing32:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,094 Posts

A couple pictures of my CL Feldmann 48" Aerator with sprayer tank strapped on top to supply weight. First one, fresh in the back of my truck on NTM day:

Behind the x728, in transport mode:

It is well made, was not well taken care of by prior owner, has replaceable spoons, pulls good plugs all across the width, and based on my usage, like twice in the Spring, and once in the Fall, should last me a lifetime. They are expensive, so I waited till I found one on CL. I have a couple more images in action as well as a video if you are interested in more on this brand.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Here's Mine

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts

Ehammond, I am interested to hear more about yours. Width? Number of spoons? Are spoons replaceable? How many gallons does the drum hold?

It looks like you may have built some of this yourself. Looks great.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts

Here's Mine

It also detects land mines. :hide:

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts

I have a Brinly. Sorry, no pics of it!

I got the smaller version, i.e., not the 48" model. It works great and I've loaned it to several of the neighbors (we share implements - a great deal for all of us). I think most are settling on fall aeration schedules - too many weed when done in the spring!

PS - Assembly was a pain, but that is my only complaint.

·
Registered
801 Posts

I purchased the Agri_fab smart link system. You buy the base and then what ever of the 4 attachments you need for it. I got base, the core aerator and the de-thatcher This setup cost me less than your spike aerator alone. You can also get a spike aerator and a roller. And the nice thing is that it takes up less storage space than having individual devices. Takes less than a minute to switch out the links.

Here is a link:
http://www.mowersdirect.com/lawn/agri-fab-smartlink.html?gclid=CNy44fP1p7cCFcaj4Aod3yUAdw

Here is a youtube video

·
Registered
281 Posts

I purchased the Agri_fab smart link system. You buy the base and then what ever of the 4 attachments you need for it. I got base, the core aerator and the de-thatcher This setup cost me less than your spike aerator alone. You can also get a spike aerator and a roller. And the nice thing is that it takes up less storage space than having individual devices. Takes less than a minute to switch out the links.

Here is a link:
http://www.mowersdirect.com/lawn/agri-fab-smartlink.html?gclid=CNy44fP1p7cCFcaj4Aod3yUAdw

Here is a youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o2l6FVZfGQ
interesting, i notice that for aerating though there are only 6 rows of tines on this unit compared to the JD 48 which has 12. thats what sold me on mine

·
Registered
281 Posts

A couple pictures of my CL Feldmann 48" Aerator with sprayer tank strapped on top to supply weight. First one, fresh in the back of my truck on NTM day:

Behind the x728, in transport mode:

It is well made, was not well taken care of by prior owner, has replaceable spoons, pulls good plugs all across the width, and based on my usage, like twice in the Spring, and once in the Fall, should last me a lifetime. They are expensive, so I waited till I found one on CL. I have a couple more images in action as well as a video if you are interested in more on this brand.
now thats a heavy duty unit, very nice!

·
Registered
801 Posts

interesting, i notice that for aerating though there are only 6 rows of tines on this unit compared to the JD 48 which has 12. thats what sold me on mine
More seat time.... :thThumbsU And I cut my thumb putting one of those tines together. 6 stitches...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks for all the responses, I've noticed that some of the aerators have a support in the middle as well. Not just on each end of the axle, does that make sense? In Jere's picture it looks like he has a total of 4 axle supports, to me this makes sense, when you load the top with weight it will have equal pressure thru out the axle length??? But I could be very wrong about this theory of mine!!!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

My neighbor has a small aerator but the tines are all fixed to the axle so when you turn a corner, the inside tines act more like a tiller and rip the snot out of the lawn. I also noticed he has a hard time making it turn with his small tractor.

I don't know how others are constructed, but properly done, the tines should be broken into separate rotating sections to prevent the tiller effect.

That or 3 pt mounted so it can easily be picked up and backed into position so no cornering is required.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, I've noticed that some of the aerators have a support in the middle as well. Not just on each end of the axle, does that make sense? In Jere's picture it looks like he has a total of 4 axle supports, to me this makes sense, when you load the top with weight it will have equal pressure thru out the axle length??? But I could be very wrong about this theory of mine!!!
396 BB,

When I had my JD 345, I had a light duty 42" plug aerator that didn't have supports in the middle and I loaned it to my neighbor who snapped the axle in half and bent the frame. I welded the axle and straighten the frame but the axle snapped again in a different location from hitting a submerged bolder and I really bent the frame so bad this time that I decided enough is enough.

Just so happen that the local MF dealer had a sale on and I picked up a commercial grade 48" plug aerator at an excellent price. I've been extemely pleased with the quality of this unit for the last 7 years.

I personally would not buy one without some sort of support in the middle for the axle.

Roger

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,094 Posts

It does, here is a better picture to show the supports. And, as also noted, the axle is split so that the spoons can rotate at different speeds when turning a corner.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Ehammond, I am interested to hear more about yours. Width? Number of spoons? Are spoons replaceable? How many gallons does the drum hold?

It looks like you may have built some of this yourself. Looks great.

It is 48" wide has 48 spoons that are replaceable. I'm not sure how much water it holds but when full it weighs close to 500 lb. It will plug 4 inches deep.

I did build the hydraulic lift on it.

This is what it looked like before I started making it work with the hydraulics on my JD 455.

Attachments

·
Rider on the Storm
892 Posts

Thinking about buying a plug aerator, any recommendations,brinly,agrifab,pros cons.
The JD aerators are about $420. but they look like they are made very well would like to hear your input thanks....
Brinly-Hardy owner here.. highly recommend! :fing32:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinly-Hardy-40-in-Tow-Behind-Plug-Aerator-PA-40BH/100087059

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinly-Hardy-48-in-Tow-Behind-Plug-Aerator-PA-48BH/100137013

Attachments

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

396 BB,

When I had my JD 345, I had a light duty 42" plug aerator that didn't have supports in the middle and I loaned it to my neighbor who snapped the axle in half and bent the frame. I welded the axle and straighten the frame but the axle snapped again in a different location from hitting a submerged bolder and I really bent the frame so bad this time that I decided enough is enough.

Just so happen that the local MF dealer had a sale on and I picked up a commercial grade 48" plug aerator at an excellent price. I've been extemely pleased with the quality of this unit for the last 7 years.

I personally would not buy one without some sort of support in the middle for the axle.

Roger
Thanks for the feedback Roger, these are the little things that I wanted to hear, someone who has field tested them and put them to work..

I have the 40" Brinly (
http://www.brinly.com/PA-40BH-plug-aerator.html) which worked well until I snapped a weld on one of the spoon plates last fall.
Did you replace the aerator with a new one?

It does, here is a better picture to show the supports. And, as also noted, the axle is split so that the spoons can rotate at different speeds when turning a corner.

Thanks for the pics Jere, sounds like a quality piece of equipment!!! I like the fact that the axle is split I never would have known!! Did you pay a premium price if you don't mind me asking?

It is 48" wide has 48 spoons that are replaceable. I'm not sure how much water it holds but when full it weighs close to 500 lb. It will plug 4 inches deep.

I did build the hydraulic lift on it.

This is what it looked like before I started making it work with the hydraulics on my JD 455.
Ehammond I remember your thread build on that aerator, If I had a property the size of Jere's I would look into one like yours very nice!!!

Brinly-Hardy owner here.. highly recommend! :fing32:

The tires are semi-pneumatic transport wheels. That what the description says..

Again Thanks for all the feedback much appreciated!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts