My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am willing to bet that over time it would, but, over the span of a cut and a half? (total of about 6 hours)?
Cut tonight and the same thing started happening that started my cracked clutch cam saga, so, I put the baby to bed for the night and came in to the air conditioning to think about this.

After I replaced the cam (a week and a half ago) it went back together fine, and I had it all adjusted out, cut the whole lawn with no problems and cut 70% (about 2 hours) tonight before it started to slip.

I checked and sure enough I can see that the gap is now too large (and larger than it was when I put it back together.

I will tighten it back up, but doesn't seem to me that I should have to do that this frequently, so any ideas?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Common problem with those who are not used to adjusting the clutch. You must torque the fan bolt down. Consult the info over at the Yahoo site in the clutch folder and then go back and do it over and over again until you get it right. Once you do it correctly, the clutch will hold its adjustment for a long, long time. The problem lies with you, not the clutch.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Common problem with those who are not used to adjusting the clutch. You must torque the fan bolt down. Consult the info over at the Yahoo site in the clutch folder and then go back and do it over and over again until you get it right. Once you do it correctly, the clutch will hold its adjustment for a long, long time. The problem lies with you, not the clutch.
Very well stated in a few words! LOL

·
Super Moderator
32,482 Posts
I used to have to adjust mine about once a year.. as I have gotten better at the adjustment procedure, and also kinda adapted it to what my tractors "Like" I can go years now without a adjustment. Frankly I cant eaven remember the last time.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
45 lbs, that I got, and we used a torque wrench, am I hearing that needs to go tighter?
It's not uncommon for the adjustment to change a bit when trying to torque that nut if you aren't careful that the hex nut doesn't move. I'd readjust it keeping the gap pretty tight--I tighten it until the pulley won't turn then back off just enough that I can turn the pulley and still feel a very slight drag.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Caution Thread Hijack!
But, I thought this was a good place to bring this up.

I have adjusted Case clutches a number of times. Usually I can get them to work ok. But, I have 'adjusted the instructions'. I always engage the clutch, THEN torque the nut. That sequence uses the torque setting to determine the final clamping force of the Belleville washers that actually provide the engagement 'power'. That seems to work fine. But, the Case instructions do NOT say to do that.

Am I wrong and just lucky that it seems to work for me?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I don't think it makes any difference when you're torquing the nut whether it is engaged or not since all you're doing is compressing the belleville washers. You obviously have to have the clutch disengaged to make the adjustment.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Caution Thread Hijack!
But, I thought this was a good place to bring this up.

I have adjusted Case clutches a number of times. Usually I can get them to work ok. But, I have 'adjusted the instructions'. I always engage the clutch, THEN torque the nut. That sequence uses the torque setting to determine the final clamping force of the Belleville washers that actually provide the engagement 'power'. That seems to work fine. But, the Case instructions do NOT say to do that.

Am I wrong and just lucky that it seems to work for me?
That would seem worth trying! I have never had problems keeping the adjustment, though have a trouble reaching the proper adjustment on a few occasions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts