My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm tooling along on the Toro 212-H towing my plug aerator while my Dad finished mowing the back yard with the Craftsman (good seat time day) when the Toro shudders and quits. I look down and gas is spilling from the side of the engine and I notice that the carburator bowl has fallen onto the front axle. I quickly unhooked the fuel line to raise it above the level of the gas tank then set about looking at the carb. I've never fiddled with one of these before. I found the nut at the bottom, screwed the bowl back on to the carb, unsure of the correct orientation, tightened it up, reattached the fuel line and she started right up. I finished aerating and put the tractor away. Can it really be that simple?

·
Super Moderator
36,722 Posts
No, those parts are supposed to fall in the grass and just disappear! At least that's what always happens to me! Glad yours didn't though, better to be lucky than good some times!

·
Registered
200 Posts
No, those parts are supposed to fall in the grass and just disappear! At least that's what always happens to me! Glad yours didn't though, better to be lucky than good some times!
:thThumbsU He's right! You got lucky and sometimes it is that easy!

·
Super Moderator
36,722 Posts
Someday I'm going to have to rent a metal finder and do some major recovery out of my lawn!!! :ROF

·
Registered
645 Posts
Had a neighbor borrow a push mower once. She mowed half her yard and stopped. Next day she went to finish and couldn't get it started. I go out to look at it and the carb is laying on the deck with the bolts still in it. Put the carb back on and pulled the cord. The whole engine spun around! (Techy) All the bolts to hold the engine were gone as well as the nuts.:Stop:

·
Registered
77 Posts
My float bowl and the bolt would have jumped under the deck. The bolt would have made a perfect bounce and the blade would have shot it out the side of the mower, it would have either went through a window or landed in the next county. Meanwhile the float bowl would be wadded up and sliced in half, one of the halves would then find a nice spot to go through one of my back tires. :fing32:

Yeah, that's how it would work out for me. :drunkie:

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
nice save

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
LOL... I bought a truck once that the carb was almost falling off. The guy said he tuned up EVERYTHING and could not keep it running. I thought it was odd that the air cleaner was all wobbley and the nut was still tight on the air cleaner! I paid him the $100 he wanted for it and drove it home. (Stopping out of sight to tighten the said carb down!)

This was back in the 80's... Sure wish I could find deals like that now!

·
Registered
645 Posts
LOL... I bought a truck once that the carb was almost falling off. The guy said he tuned up EVERYTHING and could not keep it running. I thought it was odd that the air cleaner was all wobbley and the nut was still tight on the air cleaner! I paid him the $100 he wanted for it and drove it home. (Stopping out of sight to tighten the said carb down!)

This was back in the 80's... Sure wish I could find deals like that now!
Jeeps and Fords with the 1 bbl carb used to do that all the time!:)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I had the carb fall off my Bolens one time. It had a 20HP kohler with the carb on top of the engine. I was down in the woods with the tractor cutting wood and hauling it up to the house. So I go to start it up and as usual it fires right up. I go to speed the engine up and nothing happens. It just keeps running at idle. I opened the hood and there was the carb... Just lying there on top of the motor, misting just enough gas to make the engine run. I tightened it back up and was on my way, I guess I was lucky I didnt lose any of the mount screws or anything. So yes, sometimes it is that easy.

Jason

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
All i can say is... How does that horse shoe feel..... I'm with most other guys... My mounting bolts would have found the largest most expensive window with in 200 yards and made a nice hole in it..

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
My float bowl and the bolt would have jumped under the deck. The bolt would have made a perfect bounce and the blade would have shot it out the side of the mower, it would have either went through a window or landed in the next county. Meanwhile the float bowl would be wadded up and sliced in half, one of the halves would then find a nice spot to go through one of my back tires. :fing32:

Yeah, that's how it would work out for me. :drunkie:
That's how it works most times.:trink39: But you left out that you see it just before you hit it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had a good one. Screw fell out of the throttle plate and ended up on top of the piston. Good thing was when the piston came up the screw hit the bottom of the plug and closed the gap. Killed the motor. When I removed the plug I seen what had happen. Pulled the head to see what the problem was and found the screw. Removed the screw, Bolted the head down put the same screw back in the plate with some "Locktite" . Now how's that for having a Horseshoe up your back side??:drunkie::trink39:

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Had a neighbor borrow a push mower once. She mowed half her yard and stopped. Next day she went to finish and couldn't get it started. I go out to look at it and the carb is laying on the deck with the bolts still in it. Put the carb back on and pulled the cord. The whole engine spun around! (Techy) All the bolts to hold the engine were gone as well as the nuts.:Stop:
Why would you loan your neighbor junk. If you did not like her, just tell her to get lost. I bet you sat on your deck drinking beer watching her the whole time.
:sidelaugh

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
rvgary- wow! did you go out and buy a lottery ticket after that?

the lasted "that was easy" for me was my $50 john deere 112L with no compression. took the head off and tapped the valve seat back in (had popped out and held the valve open), but i don't know how long that will last.

one time one of the blades on my string trimmer (w/ the 3 blade head) flew off. they are held on by a screw and nut. i looked down and they were both sitting right below it. picked them up and put it back together and finished trimming. but a couple weeks later it happened again but everything went in opposite directions probably landing in the neighbors lawns. blades were worn down to little stubs anyway though.

·
Registered
818 Posts
On that Lotto ticket, I should have but figured I had to go another 74 years to get that lucky again and I don't think I'll make it:sidelaugh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts