My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a commercial zero turn Toro and a JD 530. The 530 has less than five hours on it. The reason for the purchase is that I have a big hill in the back that the Toro can't negotiate. I bought the 530 with the locking differential and wheel weights and was assured by the JD dealer that this would be no problem. I used to use my JD x85 push mower on the hill and cut the rest with the zero turn. I have had sixteen knee surgeries and four stents just recently put in my heart for two blocked arteries. I still have two that are 85% blocked and told by cardiologist that I should no longer use the push mower on the hill. I'm thinking of trading the Toro and the JD 530 for a JD 748. I'm sure I will lose my butt on the trade but my question is would you guys make the trade? Thanks!!!!

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
With less than 5 hours, are you still in the first 30 days of owning the tractor? Is it an X530 you have?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am past the thirty day mark as I had my second heart attack right after the purchase and was not allowed out in the yard to play for forty five days...

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Go for it and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Does your x530 have turf tires or HDAP's? When I took the turf tires off my 445 and installed HDAP's, with the locking differential it felt like it would climb a tree.

If you trade for an x748 you will love it and all that it can do. I passed the 50 hour mark on mine yesterday, no regrets so far.

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
I have a commercial zero turn Toro and a JD 530. The 530 has less than five hours on it. The reason for the purchase is that I have a big hill in the back that the Toro can't negotiate. I bought the 530 with the locking differential and wheel weights and was assured by the JD dealer that this would be no problem. I used to use my JD x85 push mower on the hill and cut the rest with the zero turn. I have had sixteen knee surgeries and four stents just recently put in my heart for two blocked arteries. I still have two that are 85% blocked and told by cardiologist that I should no longer use the push mower on the hill. I'm thinking of trading the Toro and the JD 530 for a JD 748. I'm sure I will lose my butt on the trade but my question is would you guys make the trade? Thanks!!!!
You say that you were assured you could, but you didn't say what the results were when you tried?

How is it equipped? Turf tires? Like was said here, HDAP tires make the world of difference. On a small hill with a high grade at my house with the turfs I would slide all the time and never made it up. With the HDAPs I can even pull my full water cart up that hill.

I have an L130 with a K66 transaxle so no locking diff.

Bet you got turfs.. I'd bet HDAPs would be the ticket.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have THE HDAP tires and the JD wheel weigts recommended by the dealer. He came out to the house after the delivery and failure to make it up the hill to try for himself. I was able to get out of the mess myself. When he tried he just kept drifting farther and farther down the hill into the woods. I had to go and get my Hummer and the chains and yank him and the X530 out of the woods. The same thing happened with my Toro dealer when he delivered the Z turn. He said "no problem" and before I could dive in front of him as he took off, there he went. He actually took the Z turn airborne and flew into the woods, a good thity yards in and I had to pull him and my new mower out of a tree. Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
No disrespect intended but with you medical history I would do any "darn" thing that made me feel better and would help the cause, if I had the $$$$$$

Add BTW I would make the dealer show me it works!!!!!! assure is spelled like assume

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I have THE HDAP tires and the JD wheel weigts recommended by the dealer. He came out to the house after the delivery and failure to make it up the hill to try for himself. I was able to get out of the mess myself. When he tried he just kept drifting farther and farther down the hill into the woods. I had to go and get my Hummer and the chains and yank him and the X530 out of the woods. The same thing happened with my Toro dealer when he delivered the Z turn. He said "no problem" and before I could dive in front of him as he took off, there he went. He actually took the Z turn airborne and flew into the woods, a good thity yards in and I had to pull him and my new mower out of a tree. Thanks for the advice!
Wow, I'm surprised the dealer didn't reconsider his recommendation after that!

Anyway, I agree with these guys -- just get the big X if you can afford it. Life is short and you need all the help you can get at this point, what with the heart condition. Treat yourself!

And I bet if you explain your heart attack situation to the dealer, they will give you very good credit on that X530, especially where you're buying an even higher-end unit from them instead. They should be able to resell that 530 for top dollar.

Just one additional thought: Maybe it's the X749 you really need? Most report that they are amazingly capable on the hills.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
748 and 749 are the same with the addition of All Wheel Steering. Honestly unless you *need* all wheel steering, I'd skip it.

If I had a lawn where I had to maneuver around a lot of real tight areas it might be a consideration, but I personally don't see the need and you can save a few bucks plus there are implements for the X748 that won't work on the AWS machines, like the Front End Loader.

·
Super Moderator
32,656 Posts
Wow an X5xx with HDAPs that couldn't negotiate a hill. You don't have Mt. Rainier in your back yard do you? Sounds like you really need the 4x4 and extra tractor of the x7xx series!

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Add 4WD for a much lower, and heavier Center of Gravity and it will do what the 2WD will do, more safely :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts