My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilemma. I just bought a Case 444 with a tiller, Deck, 3 point hitch
and a separate Brinly hitch. I already have a Snow Blower for my Wheel Horse.

I have a 1973 Ford with 3 Point Hitch and rear Power Take Off with a rotted deck and no other implements. I have stripped it down and was getting ready to paint it when I came across the Case.

Do I part out the Ford, which I got in trade for a small garden tractor which cost me nothing, sell it as it is, or finish the restore. Restored without any usable implements I believe will accomplish nothing in the way of value. Selling the 3 Point, and Power Take Off will bring more I believe. The steering and seat are worth a few bucks also. Is there a market for the transmission? The 16hp Kohler motor, which ran great when I took it out, is worth something or I could just keep it in case something else comes along.

I already have a case 220, and have a line on another Case 444.

What do I do?:thSick:

Nick

·
^_^
65 Posts
I don't really like it when people part out anything that's complete. :Stop:

That being said, how much do you want for the PTO and 3 point? :fing32:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Sell it as. Sounds like you could let it go pretty reasonably, and there are lots of young teenage boys looking for projects.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'd keep it as is. Why part out a good tractor? If it is like my 145, the mower deck is an ungainly piece anyway. Mostly because the discharge side sticks out 2 feet beyond the tractor. Also if it's a pedal hydro, you might find it more user friendly than the Case left side hand control.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question. What is the difference between the 125 and the 165? I know the engines are different but are the other parts interchangeable? the 165 is open side 1973 older model, the 125 is newer closed side.

I noticed that the 125 although hydro, has what looks like a handle to raise and lower the deck.

Since writing about this yesterday, I have found a snow plow for sale close by, and someone has a complete and new looking 125 for say also.

I do hate to part things out. I see a lot of that done on what looks like great old tractors that once done, are never replaceable. On the other hand, you have to think about what is reasonably usable to you and the net worth when finished. On the other hand, where would we get parts if someone did not do this.

The question for me to decide is do I want to use the Ford to plow, the Case to till, the Wheel Horse to blow snow and occasionally cut grass, and the smaller 220 Case to cut grass with. Since I already have both a 3 point and a Brinly hitch that will fit both Case's, I can put a hitch on both. I also have a MTD 995 with a drive shaft deck and 3 point but no other implements, that I want to keep for later restoration.

There is only so much room in my shop, which is 16' X 28' that I built last year. I am in a flux right now trying to make decisions I won't be sorry for later. Seems like every time I decide to get rid of something, I find a use for it later. Wife looks at me with a blank stare sometimes, like I am nuts and then just shakes her head and smiles. But she never complains.

Also there is the fact that I am 74 and if I die tomorrow, this will all go tho the scrap yard because my kids have no sense of the value of these things.

Nick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You can jump ship and go to the Case side, and leave us Ford guys with a great piece to restore, and when you want to come back, someone can sell it to you, unless you sell to a true Ford guy ,he would never let it go... that is a real nice rig restored, especially with the PTO and 3 point hitch, and that Eaton/Peerless trans combo is superior to any Case Hydra-drive.But it sounds like you have easier access to the Case stuff, so.... I would go with them If your heart tells you .. then go with it ;)

Dang Nick, you are in a pickle, andd you have some really nice Iron too, the 125 is too different , only thing that would work for you is the mower deck if it is in good shape, and the tires too
:fing32:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can jump ship and go to the Case side, and leave us Ford guys with a great piece to restore, and when you want to come back, someone can sell it to you, unless you sell to a true Ford guy ,he would never let it go... that is a real nice rig restored, especially with the PTO and 3 point hitch, and that Eaton/Peerless trans combo is superior to any Case Hydra-drive.But it sounds like you have easier access to the Case stuff, so.... I would go with them If your heart tells you .. then go with it ;)

Dang Nick, you are in a pickle, andd you have some really nice Iron too, the 125 is too different , only thing that would work for you is the mower deck if it is in good shape, and the tires too
:fing32:
I am going to take a little more time and see what comes my way. I will probably paint the frame on the Ford and then take it off the stands and stand it up in a corner to get it out of them way. Unless the right offer comes along. Can store the rest of the tractor up in the attic of my shop. Might buy the plow, it is close by and can get it cheap. It does have a strong motor and has lots of power. Would need an oil pan to use it in something else as they weld the things to the frame. Never say that before, but understand why.

Nick

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Nick, I can certainly understand your plight. You should feel lucky that your wife never complains. I get the same blank stare followed by the words " We don't need another tractor" or " we don't have the money to waste on old tractors or their parts".

You have a hard decision to make and I don't envy your position. I have two of these tractors and love them both. I redid one top to bottom last year and I don't even use it. It just sits in the garage. It's just the feeling of accomplishment I get every time I look at it. It was a summer long project where every part was stripped down, primed and painted. They are very dependable tractors and worthy of hard work in the yard or on the farm or as a garage showpiece.

Here is the album of the project. Hopefully the finished pics will help guide you in your decision.

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr247/Mickeymotormount/tractor pics/

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have decided to sit on the Ford for a while. It ain't eating anything, and I found room for it. Moved the sheet metal in the attic of the shop, and will stand the frame on end in a corner. I know as soon as I get rid of it I will be sorry. Hate to leave a project half finished, but I really want to do that Case. I want to use that tiller in the spring. Besides, I know if I wait long enough, I will find a decent deck for it.

Nick

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I have a deck that came with my LGT 165 I'll never use if you're interested.I'm about 100 miles South of DC just off US 29. 434 978 4944

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Nick, I'm glad you decided to hold onto the Ford for awhile. I'm sure the time will come to get the ol' girl out and put 'er back into service.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nick, I'm glad you decided to hold onto the Ford for awhile. I'm sure the time will come to get the ol' girl out and put 'er back into service.
Yes I am glad too. Hate to put something that good out of commission. Once done, it is gone forever. Of course if everyone felt that way, where would we get parts. Sometime over the winter I will restart this project and make it new again. Meantime I will be gathering any implements I can find to go with it.

Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts