My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
should i keep rear weights on all year or will it stress the rear ent (hydro tranny)?

each weight mounts on the fender with 2 bolts.

here is a mount view of one.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I carry that much in one block hung off the pull tab, plus WH wheel weights on the wheels of my 210-5. Single tires with chains still on. I don't plan on mowing the acreage, so the snow blower stays mounted.
Got an 'old' Craftsman LT4000 set up similiar, with a plow on front.
The weight helps the chains make their 'mark' in the asphalt driveway.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:wwp:
I carry that much in one block hung off the pull tab, plus WH wheel weights on the wheels of my 210-5. Single tires with chains still on. I don't plan on mowing the acreage, so the snow blower stays mounted.
Got an 'old' Craftsman LT4000 set up similiar, with a plow on front.
The weight helps the chains make their 'mark' in the asphalt driveway.
wow.how dose it work in the winter?got any pics of it

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I'm upgrading my 'cement block' model with weights made from bulk oil jugs filled with Sakrete (cement in a bag). The plastic jugs look better, can be hung off anything or placed on a shelf, won't scratch anything when you back into it, and are free (I change my own oil). I plan on putting a short piece of pipe into the jug where the cap goes so I can mount a 'flashing light on a stick' when I get close to the roadway.

I'm also revising the method of securing the weight to the tractor (WH 211-5). Thinking of mounting a shelf off the pull tab to hold the jugs.

Got a couple months to figure this out.

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
I'm gonna have to say "WOW!" too!.

I'm not sure that it would cause issues having additional weight on, but I guess it depends on how much you weigh. Let's say your blocks weight 80lbs combined - think of it as if you weighed an additional 80lbs. There's a guy on my road that must weigh close to 400 lbs and he weighs that all year round.... his little lawn tractor just keeps going! :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can't believe a guy with such a nice landscaped yard could have such an ugly rigged up tractor? What gives? I'm sure she's a beast of a worker but I would definitely rethink your whole weight system and apologize to that faithful little tractor. Adam

·
22,762 Posts
Good Gawd Almighty!!!

If you really need the weight, do it right. Load the tires, add wheel weights and chains and lose the second set of tires, they just give you more flotation, not traction, unless you're playing in the mud. if you need more weight, build a platform on the rear end and strap your concrete blocks on that. Over time you will destroy your fenders with the set up that you're using.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't believe a guy with such a nice landscaped yard could have such an ugly rigged up tractor? What gives? I'm sure she's a beast of a worker but I would definitely rethink your whole weight system and apologize to that faithful little tractor. Adam

well its not sopposed to be a looker.it's sopposed to get the job done with it dose and then some.i have a john deere l110 to cut the gras and thats all it dose.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I can't say anything because I've had some crazy thoughts and done stuff like that too.

Like TUDOR said,I'd do it different.Load the tires,add wheel weights,make a mount that bolts on to the rear plate to put some weight in.
I don't know about the second set of tires,I thought it would give better traction if they are loaded but I could be wrong on that.

As for the tranny,I don't know either,like any thing else,working it too hard will do some damage,but I'm not an expert on that.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
C'mon guys, some of the older GTs were .... unusual, to be kind. Anything that gets the job done is beautiful.

Clever adaptations - long bolts to create duallies, a winch to raise the plow, bungies to hold down the bonnet, and that yellow thing - is that wired in for a tachometer, or is it the winch control? That modified hitch - what do you pull with it?

As to weights, if it is not rolling then it does not matter. If you use it in the summer for other than plowing, I would remove both the plow and the weights. That mass bouncing around at either end stresses the frame, steering, everything. You might consider fluid filling the duallies; it might be the same weight as those cinder blocks.

That is a large plow for a light tractor. Do you use chains in the winter?

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Oh Boy Oh Boy you got me thinking now. Darn I don't have any of them cement blocks. We used them all when we built the out house. Guess I will have to have that fat lady next door stand on the back again this year. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
511 Posts
Umm...well...err...uh....I'll just leave it at WOW! ROTFLMMFAO!!!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I wonder if the rear duals could get you into more trouble during the winter than expected. In the NE, most of the 'older' folks put the skinniest tires that they can find on the snow machine, because you want to dig yourself down to the dirt to keep moving. The wider the tire, the more floatation you have, the higher you will ride in the snow, the more chance for snow and ice buildup under the tire.
Duals would be nice for summer grass mowing on damp lawns. You won't sink in as much, less lawn damage. Plus, with all that weight on the rear end, I suspect there is a lot stress on the axle, other than that supplied from the outboard wheel assembly.
If you remove the 'temporary' weight frame, the holes can be used to mount double faced red/amber lights that can double as safety flashers, so all is not lost.
I've seen that plow hoist assembly someplace else, with that remote control. Awful lot of weight on the front of that poor tractor.
But, it does the job, right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts