My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just found a Ingersoll odyessy for sale local, looks to be in good shape from the picture and going to look at it in person tommorow morning, it apparently has the holding valve and right discharge deck. I think I can get it for five bills, what should I do?

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Post pics when you get the chance. Cosmetic condition dictates value just as much as mechanical condition.

Basic stuff in any inspection applies. Does it smoke, knock or use oil? Does the hydrive and implement lift work well and free of leaks? Does the deck have rot or bad bearings/blades/mandrels/pulleys? How are the belts and PTO? Do the electrics work as they should? Headlight lenses glazed? Decals in good shape? Seat torn? Etc, etc.

Is the body beat up and the paint neglected? The Odyssey monniker wasn't begun until the early 2000's, I think. It shouldn't look like **** if it was well maintained. If it's nice and everything seems kosher I wouldn't feel bad dropping $500 on it. Ask if he has any attachments to go along.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i wasnt sure about the years of manufacture, the guy said he bought it off the original owner and has had it for a few months but needs money to support his powerking collection more than he needs this mower.
Nothing comes with it except the deck, and the picture isnt the best, but I think it should be worth that much based on the fact that from what I can find it is basicly a newer model 224 type tractor.
the only thing I am really unsure about is the elctric pto clutch, dont know anything about them or if they wear out or are hard to work on.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
I'd offer $400 and go from there.
Electric pto's usually don't last as long as the old manual ones. (That could be a bargaining point or anything else you may see that is ruff.)
I'd take an old 224 over this one, however it's near you and parts are probably more readily available on a newer machine. :fing32:
Let us know what you do.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it looks to be in pretty good shape, I am going to give it the rundown tommorow morning.
I am a bit aprehensive about the electric pto clutch, I just recently mastered the EZ clutch and the design seems genius in its simplicity.

I have heard others mention expensive prices for new clutches. So if anything would keep me from bringing it home, that would be it if it doesn't seem right.

How old are these machines? I can't find anything about them on the web and i am curous about what year it was made.

How rare are these machines? one thing that makes owning an old case easy is the fact that there were a lot of them made and used parts are pretty easy to track down, with this unit, how much of the parts maintenace has to be through the dealer, and how much could I interchange with ingersoll 3000 used parts if available?

Also, I had a previous post that had asked about rotary brooms and from that was told about the need for RH engine rotation to be able to accept the attachment, I know there are decks, snowcasters and plows available for RH rotation tractors, will these fit and work on this particualr tractor?

I am anxious to see it in person and run it through its paces, I have much more knowledge about the features and operation of these tractors than I did when I bought my first one so hopefully i will not miss anything that be helpful in the negotiation of price.

Thanks for any addition al info and help, just trying to make the best informed and educated decision tommorow, well actually today, since its already tuesday.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
I believe the Odyssey was to be a model for the budget minded buyer. It was almost a copy of the old style 200 series tractors, but with a few advious differences.
1997 would be the year.
This is what they looked like in the crate new...

Attachments

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Mike, 1997? really that new? If it is built like a Case/ingersoll then it's still a baby!!! I am wondering what about it made it for the "budget minded"? Did they cut any corners or is the build quality the same just packaged/branded different?
I see some obvious differences in the deck based on the parts list, it is a bit more streamlined and simple, but just a heavily built?
also what about interchangability with orhter ingersoll attachments? Thanks agian...

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
It's all interchangable with that (this would have the right hand discharge mower deck unlike the older left hand discharge decks) and just as heavily built. Built the same as others, possibly cheaper paint and other small parts, but what's important is it has the same heavy drivetrain we all know and love.
Think of it as a car. One model will be more expensive due to options the other cheaper one does not have due to less opperating cost to build, but they both share the same drive-train.
Good luck! :fing32:

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I will let everyone know what I decide and how it turns out. I hope I can still haggle like I used too, :thThumbsU

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
It is an Ingersoll through and through. Don't be afraid of the name.

Only thing I've really figured out that is different is the rear sheetmetal and fenders. Some have said those were from an earlier 200 series design (early-mid 80's).

The Vanguard engine is a very good commercial unit and should be easy to maintain for a long time to come.

I've never been able to nail down the production timing on the Odyssey, but 1997 makes sense. A quick look at the engine numbers would help detail that for all.

Good luck with it.

Brian

·
1,359 Posts
Think of it as a late-model black knight. :sidelaugh

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I am passing on the tractor. I found the sellers to be very rude and demanding and for someone selling a mower out of season I found that unacceptable.

I was told if I couldn't get there right when they wanted me there, they didn't want to sell the tractor. I told them to keep it.

the seller called me back a few hours later and we talked a while and I am going back in the morning. We'll see what happens.

·
1,359 Posts
Go back and offer him half. Tell him you had a change of heart and are willing to pay what you feel it's worth.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
First off, there's not a thing wrong about the Odyssey model. They made it for about 2 years (1999 and 2000) if I recall correctly. If that one is a good runner and in nice shape then $500.00 isn't too much money to pay. Eventually, this tractor will be in great demand by collectors because it is a hydriv model but issued in low numbers. Those facts plus the unique paint scheme will make it a hot item in years to come. Just look at what happened with Deere's Designer Series (now called Patio tractors).

In their day, those models were spurned by many die-hard Deere owners because they weren't clad in green and yellow. Today, collectors pay as much as $1300.00 just for a pristine SEAT for a Patio tractor.....no tractor attached.

However, I can understand your reaction. That's a bad situation and difficult to deal with. You can fix a lot of things but you can't fix "stupid" and those three people are stupid. Few people even know what an Odyssey is or who made it. That fact tends to make it rather unmarketable. They just blew a buyer out the door because they couldn't get their act together. That might have been the one and only opportunity they will get. I'd keep my eye on it if I were you. The price may come down even more.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to give it another chance in the morning, Hopefully we can work out a deal and everyone involved will benefit.
will keep you all updated. i'd really like to end up with it.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
update:
What a complete waste of my time. These people are extremely ignorant and trashy, I should have known the moment I pulled up and saw how they keep their home and property that this wasn't a machine that I wanted.
It looks a though someone set off some dynamite in the middle of a huge pile of cheap mowers and reduced them all to a scattered mess over an entire half acre. looks like probably close to 100 various push and riding mowers. (in the time since making the 50 minute each way drive out there, I google street viewed their property and just a few short years ago, it was pristine, but what was once a nice home is now a mower graveyard, and apparently a hygene graveyard as well.)

I showed up a little early to meet the seller/s and was told by the wife that they had left and wouldn't be back for a while. I was polite and sat there with her for over an hour and a half before the seller called her and she relayed to me that they had an "emergency" and wouldn't be back until later that day.

All the while I was not allowed to actually "see" the tractor bacause it was locked in the garge and she (the wife) was not allowed to have a key to her own garage.

I asked to use the bathroom (I take a water pill and it hits me hard) and I almost gagged when I walked in to the house, and upon finding the restroom I was faced with several days of urine and floating feces in the once white but now brown toilet bowl. Dear Lord this was one of the nastiest places I have ever been and I used to work for a household rental place delivering rented furniture and appliances and have seen some real depravity in my lifetime. These folks set a new standard for filth.

I left, dejected but still polite and made the long drive home. Shortly after getting home my phone rang and the 15 year old kid told me they were back and I could come back out. Almost two hours of driving already and facing more driving without even seeing the tractor, plus my 5th and 2nd grader were due off the bus before I could get out there and back, I told the kid that I had wanted to get together in the morning for a reason, and that I couldn't make it that afternoon, i was told "thanks" and hung up on.

They turned away a buyer with cash money, and a truck at the ready for whatever reason, but they claim to be needing money for bills and such, funny how the same phone number shows listings looking for Kohler engines, and Power King tractor hoods and parts, and large air compressors the very same day they are trying to sell tractors for "much needed money for bills"

Everyday these folks try putting it up on CL and everyday I try to call them back, but they will not answer the phone.

Feel free to contact them, but be warned that you will be dealing with some trashy people who probably don't take any better care of their equipment than they do their property, or themselves. Which is not at all.

I had peviously asked the man if any manuals were with the tractor, the answer was no, so I doubt that the fluids have been correct or it has recieved proper care and maintainace other than having an unwashed rump sweating up the seat while this poor tractor dodges the random shards of scrap metal, nails and other tire ruining artifacts scattered across the property.

At this point I am sooo done with this crew. Contact at your own risk and expense. They are located in Bethel Ohio.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Went to look at a CJ5 Jeep last week that according to the seller had" a liitle rust in the rear floor pan but otherwise a nice body".and " Runs good but could use a little carb work."

Reality was, it had holes rusted through the both sides of the body a pigeon could fly through and it would not start. Seller kept telling me how rare this model was.

The only thing rare at that place was truth.

·
16,525 Posts
update:
What a complete waste of my time. These people are extremely ignorant and trashy, I should have known the moment I pulled up and saw how they keep their home and property that this wasn't a machine that I wanted.
It looks a though someone set off some dynamite in the middle of a huge pile of cheap mowers and reduced them all to a scattered mess over an entire half acre. looks like probably close to 100 various push and riding mowers. (in the time since making the 50 minute each way drive out there, I google street viewed their property and just a few short years ago, it was pristine, but what was once a nice home is now a mower graveyard, and apparently a hygene graveyard as well.)

I showed up a little early to meet the seller/s and was told by the wife that they had left and wouldn't be back for a while. I was polite and sat there with her for over an hour and a half before the seller called her and she relayed to me that they had an "emergency" and wouldn't be back until later that day.

All the while I was not allowed to actually "see" the tractor bacause it was locked in the garge and she (the wife) was not allowed to have a key to her own garage.

I asked to use the bathroom (I take a water pill and it hits me hard) and I almost gagged when I walked in to the house, and upon finding the restroom I was faced with several days of urine and floating feces in the once white but now brown toilet bowl. Dear Lord this was one of the nastiest places I have ever been and I used to work for a household rental place delivering rented furniture and appliances and have seen some real depravity in my lifetime. These folks set a new standard for filth.

I left, dejected but still polite and made the long drive home. Shortly after getting home my phone rang and the 15 year old kid told me they were back and I could come back out. Almost two hours of driving already and facing more driving without even seeing the tractor, plus my 5th and 2nd grader were due off the bus before I could get out there and back, I told the kid that I had wanted to get together in the morning for a reason, and that I couldn't make it that afternoon, i was told "thanks" and hung up on.

They turned away a buyer with cash money, and a truck at the ready for whatever reason, but they claim to be needing money for bills and such, funny how the same phone number shows listings looking for Kohler engines, and Power King tractor hoods and parts, and large air compressors the very same day they are trying to sell tractors for "much needed money for bills"

Everyday these folks try putting it up on CL and everyday I try to call them back, but they will not answer the phone.

Feel free to contact them, but be warned that you will be dealing with some trashy people who probably don't take any better care of their equipment than they do their property, or themselves. Which is not at all.

I had peviously asked the man if any manuals were with the tractor, the answer was no, so I doubt that the fluids have been correct or it has recieved proper care and maintainace other than having an unwashed rump sweating up the seat while this poor tractor dodges the random shards of scrap metal, nails and other tire ruining artifacts scattered across the property.

At this point I am sooo done with this crew. Contact at your own risk and expense. They are located in Bethel Ohio.

The only saveing grace here, it sounds like--is you got to leave and don't have to live there--or assopciate w/ them....:trink39: Thank ur lucky stars!!
\
He most likely got that tractor in a deal somewhere--and that was the best of the bunch....the rest is lying around the yard....:thSick:

Ride easy and look for something else..

glenn

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I posted this here and at the yahoo group, I just got PM'ed from the owner of that group that I "have no right to speak of those people that way" and my message was removed.
No personal info is in the post. Only the aproximate location. Everything I wrote is true. I don't see a problem relaying my experience and warning other interested parties.

·
1,359 Posts
Perhaps the member of the Yahoo group knows them personally.

As far as the sellers are concerned; I'd chalk it up to experience. You gave them two chances. Apparently they enjoy fiddling while Rome burns. If they are, in fact, hard up for money I'd wait until October and if you see it posted again offer $100.. if you feel so generous. They may be in dire financial straits and grown a collective brain by then.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts