My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
That piece is the crankcase breather. The rubber hose connects to the underside of the air filter housing.
I don’t see a place to connect on the underside of the air filter housing, so is it alright if I just tuck it underneath there like it was?

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Richard mentioned the same thing about jacking up that side of the tractor. He said I’d have to unfasten the 4 bolts to change the outer seal. It looks like the seal can be popped out without removing those 4 bolts, but that’s not the case?
The axle seals and bearings are cake. With the transaxle safely jacked up and blocked, remove the four bolts from the axle bearing retainer and then rotate and slide it off to get a good look at everything. You will want to make sure the axle is smooth or the bearing will bind when you try to slide it off.

You will likely destroy the gasket but those are cheap and readily available.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
BTW, is this the filler for the transmission oil? What type do I top off with? And is this more like gear oil and not transmission fluid?

At what point should I post a new thread anyway? Or is it ok to keep adding stuff to this one?
No, that is a level check plug. The fill tube is on the top side of the transmission. I'd consider flushing the system. Spec is 6 quarts of 10W-30. Now would be a good time to locate your manual on gravelymanuals.com.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good information in all these posts.

I wanted to advise, that when you reinstall your new hub and Woodruff key, you may be temped to use anti-seize compound or something to lube the axle for installation and to help keep it from binding in the future. I believe this causes more trouble than it solves by encouraging the hub to slide around more than it should. The better bet is to install clean and dry and add cleaning and retightening the retaining bolt to your seasonal service list.

Other opinions welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Agreed. I would clean both the axles and hub bore by first sanding lightly to remove surface rust then clean the axles thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. No lube or anti seize.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
BTW, is this the filler for the transmission oil? What type do I top off with? And is this more like gear oil and not transmission fluid?

At what point should I post a new thread anyway? Or is it ok to keep adding stuff to this one?
No problem in adding to this thread as you move along. We're following your progress and it will be easier to look for your now familiar thread title.

Yes, Gravely transmissions use engine oil, not transmission fluid.

The transmission oil filler is located on top of the transmission. It's the short length of metal plumbing type pipe with the metal cap threaded on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
I don’t see a place to connect on the underside of the air filter housing, so is it alright if I just tuck it underneath there like it was?
I shouldn't have changed that part of my earlier post. Looking at my 816 this morning, I realized that I was right the first time. That rubber hose connects to the carburetor at it's upper left side near the top toward the rear of the carb. I saw in your pic that the securing clamp is already on the carb. side of the hose. I would connect it, although I have to admit I've been running mine with a cracked hose for a while without any noticeable difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks for taking a look at your 816’s breather tube. I’m probably staring right at it, but I don’t see the clamp to hold the hose or a port to connect the hose. I did find a short piece of hose that’s curved like an elbow at the end. It’s been cut and was just laying next to the carb.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ok. I spoke too soon. I think the clamp you are referring to is the clamp on the hose. The obvious SECOND one I overlooked. I think I see the spot you are connecting to. I overlooked it too—I thought that being a breather tube that the hose needed to breathe, and since that port is solid at the bottom I didn’t think it was right.

I need to pick up a longer length of hose and I’ll reattach it there.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks. I’ll clean the axle and hub real well and reinstall. My parts from Richard’s came in yesterday, and my new used hub from eBay should be here sometime next week.

Something interesting about that breather tube is the Onan Manual shows it attached to the air filter housing as you originally said (pic attached). I guess Gravely changed the set up when these were built. I guess these tubes are just a vent, so it doesn’t really matter where they go.

The blade in the attached pics is for sale a couple hours from me. Is it a good match for the 816? Should it hook right up?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
Ok. I spoke too soon. I think the clamp you are referring to is the clamp on the hose. The obvious SECOND one I overlooked. I think I see the spot you are connecting to. I overlooked it too—I thought that being a breather tube that the hose needed to breathe, and since that port is solid at the bottom I didn’t think it was right.

I need to pick up a longer length of hose and I’ll reattach it there.
I just took another good look at the pic you included with this post. The rubber hose in your pic is your fuel line. The breather hose *does* connect at the baseplate of the air cleaner. If you remove the air cleaner cover, and air filter, you will see the hole (and maybe the other half of the breather hose) in the air filter housing's baseplate to the side of the carb air intake. Sorry about the confusion.

Yes, that's the right plow. It will hook right up as long as your tractor already has the 2 mounting brackets on the rear axle. If you don't, you could ask the seller if he would include them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The blade in the attached pics is for sale a couple hours from me. Is it a good match for the 816? Should it hook right up?
Plug and play. :fing32: The only thing a base tractor needs is a pair of rear mount plow brackets - which your 816 already has.

Gravely ownership is a slippery slope. One day you buy a nice 816 - the next day you have a garage full of attachments/accessories! :tango_face_grin:

A set of front wheel weights would go nicely with that plow... and a set of seat springs if that seat is a rigid mount.

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
Gravely ownership is a slippery slope. One day you buy a nice 816 - the next day you have a garage full of attachments/accessories! :tango_face_grin:

A set of front wheel weights would go nicely with that plow... and a set of seat springs if that seat is a rigid mount.
...And a snow blower, and a cab, and a tiller, and another 816, and...:tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Has anybody warned him about G.A.S. ? Too late now . . .

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
Has anybody warned him about G.A.S. ? Too late now . . .
kyavion,I guess it's time you knew, G.A.S., or GAS stands for Gravely Acquisition Syndrome. We all have it, and there is no known cure. You will catch it too, if you haven't already.:tango_face_smile:

It's good that you have already found a plow. Now you'll be all set this winter, especially since you already have the chains.:fing32: That plow is the improved version too, with it's cross frame reinforcements.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Right.

When you have multiple gravelys, they form breeding pairs and you're doomed. You can hold it off for a while by only acquiring one, but sooner or later another will follow you home.

The classic symptoms:

Well, there was this great package deal; I only wanted that attachment, but it came with another tractor.

It takes time and effort to swap attachments around. So much easier to have one set up for task A, and a separate one for task B.

And the worst of all: I have to buy this one, because it's a great parts machine! But, it really looks pretty good; maybe I could make a runner out of it. I know! Here's another one which would make a great source of parts for the last one!

Ask us how we know . . . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
I just took another good look at the pic you included with this post. The rubber hose in your pic is your fuel line. The breather hose *does* connect at the baseplate of the air cleaner. If you remove the air cleaner cover, and air filter, you will see the hole (and maybe the other half of the breather hose) in the air filter housing's baseplate to the side of the carb air intake. Sorry about the confusion.
I popped the air filter and I don’t see it. I think the original connection point you mentioned may have been correct. Or should I just drill a hole in the base of the air filter housing for the tube?

Some more pics of the breather hose and air filter housing are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Like you all said, this G.A.S. happens fast. First I just wanted the tractor. Now a plow pops up and of course it’d be handy to have. Then I see a front PTO with adapter kit, and that sure would be nice to have too. Then I could get a brush cutter and really do some damage. But wait, the cost of that front PTO and brush cutter might be the same or more than just buying a walk behind with a brush cutter. Plus I wouldn’t have to mess with swapping stuff around if I also had a walk behind. But that front PTO seems too good to pass up. What to do, what to do. All I wanted was something to mow with. That was it.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts