My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does the single-stage snowthrower work at clearing the white stuff that the road crews push onto the end of the drive? 16 Tecumseh ponies. Am I going to have to plan on some old-fashioned shoveling? I am on a secondary main, luckily only one lane each way but wider than a side street.

It ain't pretty but......

Attachments

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
Some people have said the snow throwers bog down in hard packed snow and slush. A loader would probably be the best thing for moving large amounts of plowed snow out of the way. Here's a video clip of a Sears 19.9 HP tractor throwing fresh snow. Talk about a cleanup job.

http://youtu.be/bkwr8zblUoQ

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I don't know, take a look at this 2-stage blower and tell me why you'd ever want to run a single stage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq34SZhZQCg

My 15.5 hp Craftsman lawn tractor throws the snow nearly as far. I think that beside the distance, the 2-stages do much better at throwing a concentrated stream of snow rather than spraying it all over the place.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Man I just looked at the videos and thinking why would anybody even want a snow blower. Move south. :dunno:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I just looked at the videos and thinking why would anybody even want a snow blower. Move south. :dunno:
I know this ain't Facebook but I see the need for a "LIKE" button on the forum.

My bro was teasing me that he moved to Hotlanta because he heard the long-range winter forecast for the Great Lakes states - above average snow, several storms, and bitter cold. Since he's gotten there he's informed me that their average low temp drops to below freezing for a whopping 13 days in January. A bitter cold 31 degrees. :crybaby:

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Lee...only problem with the 2-stage in the video is that the snow would be ending up in the neighbor's yard, rocks and all. Maybe that's not such a bad place for the stuff to end up at, after all.

How come all videos show nice dry powdery snow being thrown. Real blowers need to be tested in wet 'blue snow'. They'll either work great or break down in that stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Nice thing about having that kind of reach is that you can always throttle down somewhat to reduce the distance you throw, if that's an issue. Either that, or knock down the discharge deflector a little and throw it more horizontally.

I've found that really dry snow is a pain to blow, it always ends up blowing back at you and you eat it big time. Of course, like you say the blue concrete stuff is nasty, too.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
2 stage is the way to go for sure, but in our case single is all they made for the old Suburban's. Long as it moves the snow out of the drive way it's all good. I don't need it 50 ft away, just out of the driveway.

About keeping the snow on your own land, well I have read threads here where people were a little ticked off (to say the least) about the guy next door blowing snow on there land. If you live close together, you really should only do what you would want others to do to you. Even if you using a shovel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts