My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined, and looking to purchase an older garden tractor for a complete tear down and rebuild. Tonight I joined MTF, posted an introduction, and posted in "Backyard Round Table" soliciting feedback on members preferred brands...

All that said, there is a Case 442 locally that I can get for $400. The tins are straight, and the K301 fired right up and ran great. Mower deck was really loud, but mowed alright. My intention is to do a complete rebuild on whatever I get, and have it nicer than new! My question is: Are there enough parts readily available for 442s to do a restoration like this? These seem to be made for only a couple of years, and I see 444s, 446s, and 448s listed everywhere. But not necessarily 442s. Is there a good source (or two or three) for parts, decals, manuals, etc? Any help would be great!!!

I have been looking at different brands for a little while now (John Deere, Cub Cadet, etc) but to tell you the truth, there is something pretty cool about those big tires on the 44 series! Funny how these things work, I may buy a GT because I liked how the tires look! Another thing I like about the Case is that I can see myself collecting all of the big wheel versions... something easier to do that say collecting a bunch of Cub Cadets or Deeres!!

So please help me out... is this a good tractor to start with? Can I do what I want to do with this model considering there aren't a ton of them out there?

Thanks!!!

Amstaff

PS - I will start a thread on the restoration of whatever I buy.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
If it is your plan to become a collector than a 442 is a good place to start, especially being they are going to be harder to come by.

You can always make an offer on it and hopefully get it cheaper but if it runs good then its well worth the price.

The good - parts are interchangeable between the 442 and the other 400 series tractors and are easily had used on ebay or new from an Ingersoll dealer as in bhildret (Brian Hildreth) of this forum.

The bad - the only real concern is that if this is an earlier version they used the older style decks and mule drive borrowed from the earlier 100 series tractors, parts and attachments for these are going to be harder to find. However, they used to sell an update kit for this or if your handy you can buy a used newer style frame and make your own.

I say go for it.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take another look at it today. Where should I look for serial # to determine when It was built? I don't remember seeing one, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there because I didn't look for one! I did look at the tag on the motor, but that's it. How do I know if it has the older style, limited attachment set-up? I can snap so pics when I go back there today.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The serial # is on the dash tower, just below the steering wheel.
Get it. Once you go Case, you'll never go back.
:wwp:
:MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just got back from going to look at the 442... it's gone. I looked at it yesterday afternoon and heard it run and watched it mow. Was told someone else took it home last night. That's how these work. It sat outside for nearly 2 months. Within a couple day span he had three people interested in it. Now I'm thinking about going bigger... 446 or 448! But I would also buy a 442 or 444 if I can find the right project. So I'm calling out to all of the Case enthusiasts: Let me know if you find a reasonable 400 series tractor so I can start my very first rebuild/restore thread!!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ya, you gotta be quick on the draw when these tractors come up for sale. It helps to informed on what to look for and the first one there with cash. There should be good pick-ins there in PA. Keep your eye on the Craigslist for PA. Try to find a package deal with all the goodies so you can use it for other thing besides mowing ... There's not much the 400-series won't do ... Good Luck ....

:trink40:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, you gotta be quick on the draw when these tractors come up for sale. It helps to informed on what to look for and the first one there with cash. There should be good pick-ins there in PA. Keep your eye on the Craigslist for PA. Try to find a package deal with all the goodies so you can use it for other thing besides mowing ... There's not much the 400-series won't do ... Good Luck ....

:trink40:
Thanks. I plan on doing a bunch of research so when the right tractor comes along I'm ready to go look at it and buy! This forum is amazing with the amount of information!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts