My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm new to this site, found it on google search.

There is a small engine repair man who has a Simplicity 7100 series, not sure of the specific model, for sale for $1500. Originally asking $1700, but felt sorry for me and my blown transmission on my John Deere 170, and dropped it $200. He has put in a new engine and a new Hydrostatic Transmission within the last 10 months(over $1000 in value) The body is in good shape.

I have had very bad luck with mowers over the last 5 1/2 years(2 riders and 2 push mowers with lots of repairs) and I need to make sure my next purchase will be a good one. I also weigh 300+ lbs and I understand that I should be on a lawn "tractor" not a "mower". I also mow just under 1 acre of yard with hills.

Is this a great deal and should I pull the trigger? Should I be asking anymore questions or just take the deal before someone else does??

PS - Are snowblower and tiller attachments easy to find for this series?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
dear wbseipel, you have my sympathys, my family has genetic tendencys towards obesity also, that being said please excuse my bluntness as my intention is not to hurt your feelings but assist you in saving your own life. the property i mow is 1 acre also, i measured the subdivision road being built behind my house, exactly 1/2 mile trac i ride my bike out there, you need a 22inch push mower and see your doctor. your viens are probably filled with plac so it's a good idea to take it slow, also change your name to shorttimer because if you don't get a life style change soon your probably noy going to be around very long,
like i said get a 22inch push mower, and what you save not buying a riding mower, purchase in stead a treadmill and a bicycle, every night mow a little bit of your lawn until your healthy enough to mow the whole thing, it's going to take awhile. i used to mow a part of my lawn almost everyday, at night after i got home from work. i didn't have time to mow it all in one shot, when you get up to mowing it all in one shot your heathy enough to ride a bicycle and walk on a treadmill in your mornings, i have arthritis, as a matter of fact i'm on prescription medication for it, so i know how hard it is to get started. but even with arthritis it's better for the joints to get exercise. i'm out of time keep me posted, and most of all good luck short timer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr Joekatbro - I'm a former college football lineman and I stand 6'5" 305lbs, only 10 lbs heavier than my playing weight. I work out everyday and according to my doctor, my health is great. My problem is time...I have 4 daughters who are very active in sports and music, which doesn't leave me 4 hrs a week to mow the lawn with a push mower. My family doesn't have a genetic tendency towards obesity, but nice try. I don't need the sermon, I was just looking for an answer to my question, which you did not supply me. Good luck to you with your health and your push mower, sounds like you need it, shortimer.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome!

Here's a link to a thread on the 7100.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=529447

$1000 doesn't sound like much for a new engine and transmission, so I'm a bit skeptical. Do you happen to mean a different (used not rebuilt) engine and tranny?

$1500 isn't a lot for a really good running GT. I think if I were you, I would look around a little more though.

I also think your stature had little to do with the failure of your last tractor. I see bigger boys than you on 10 hp rear engine riders.

You probably made uninformed decisions previously, not now that you've found this forum, you will make better ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your answer. The guy had worked on my dad's stuff for 15+ years and this tractor was a customer of his. They decided it was going to be too costly for them, so he took it for his time instead of charging them. He said he had over $1000 into it with the new engine and hydrostat(which he said was $340) I'm assuming the engine was rebuilt. The nice thing is he lives 2 miles away and will be giving me a summer warranty. I'm laid off my job right now and can't afford to spend any more than $1000-1500, so I was hoping this was the right deal for me. Regarding too much weight, he said that this tractor had a different style oil distribution(pressure vs ??) which he said helps when going up hills like I do with a "big" load. Thanks again.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It helps to know this is an established person. I'm not doubting the guy's veracity, it's just that I don't see buying both a rebuilt engine and a rebuilt tranny for $340. Even with dealer discounts.

Now I did just buy a very good running LT1000 (sears) with a 20 HP Briggs for $150. It has a manual tranny, but I bought it for the engine. So I am more inclined to believe that for $340 he scored a used engine and tranny, perhaps changed the fluid in the tranny, and decarboned the heads and ran a compression check on the engine. He may in fact have taken measurements of wear on key engine components and found them to be in specifications. He may have rebuilt the engine himself. That would account for the labor.

I think he means a fully pressurized oiling system versus splash type. Did the engine have an oil filter? He means that the oil is pumps to the needed components rather than splashed by a spoon looking thing on the end of a piston rod.

When you operate a splash lubed engine at any angle, you can starve the engine of oil because all the oil is suddenly in the wrong place. Again, that has nothing to do with your "load" - a 90lb cheerleader would have the same issue.

This is a nice heavy garden tractor. I believe they first came out in 1979. Do you have any idea as to the year? I'm more versed on JD values and I haven't seen any for sale by googling.

As I said before, $1500 for a good running heavy GT isn't way out of line. I just don't know the price ranges here.

I suppose you could think about how much you trust this guy. Then you could think that you could put twice your $1500 in a new light duty GT from a famous retailer, and have less than half the tractor.

Let's see how many Simplicity guys chime in tonight. If you can, post the year, model and serial number so they can give you a better idea as to worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
D-Dogg - once again thanks for the comments, I'm learning alot from you. It is a fully pressurized oil system. The combined cost for the engine and tranny was over $1000, with his labor included it pushed it to the $1500 neighborhood. I do trust the guy a lot, went to school with his sons. I'm going to scan the classifieds, etc...to see what else is out there. I will find out today what the specific model # and serial # are.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Cool,
Also try to get the engine model and serial numbers if you can. There are a couple of dozen professional repairmen out here who could speak to any inherent problems with a particular engine. If you have a digital camera, try to get a picture up here too. We love pictures.

http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_900_2022_01_UV_SMA.pdf

Interesting link on identification. The 7100 as I just learned is a Sovereign and I see plenty of threads on the forum regarding those. You would probably have better luck searching Sovereign versus 7100 on the forum.

It should have a 42 or 48" deck, and a very beefy transmission.

http://www.manuals.us/browseproduct...reign--Baron--7000--7100-tractor-service.html is a link to manuals for sale - dang you would think these were green tractors for the prices they are asking.

The good news is that parts seem plentiful, and 5 years down the road, should you need a new engine, the Kohler Command (commercial grade engine) CH20 will fit this tractor.

From what I can gather, this is a beast of a GT. Is this what we're talking about here?

Shame on me for showing you a pic with a Johnny Bucket, now you'll want one. Bad dog, D-Dogg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wbseipel back in 1997 I bought a 7117 from a guy who also blew the engine for 100.00 with a 42 in. deck and replaced the engine with a Kohler 17 hp series II which cost me $1369.00 for the engine alone. The 7100 series tractors are great machines with the sunstrand transmissions which are bullet proof. I never had a problem with it and did a lot of cutting,tilling and snowblowing with it. It was a real workhorse and never let me down. I since have replaced it with a legacy xl and only because of a want not a need! To give you a price comparison I sold it with a snow plow, snow blower, tiller, molboard plow and wheel weights for $2000.00. I would not shy away from the machine for it's lack of durabulity. I hope this helps with your decision. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My son has a 7116H with a 48" mower deck and a 48" blade. He inherited it from my Dad, who bought it when it was about 2 years old. It's given him good service. We haven't had to replace anything but ignition parts and normal wear items.

·
Registered
748 Posts
WBSEIPEL, I have to echo what a lot of the guys with the 7100 series tractors have said. About 5 years ago picked up a 7117H with blown motor and no hood.
Put an 18hp twin onan in it that I had on shelf, found a hood on ebay and this tractor has been an absolute beast. Plow snow, pull 12" mold board plow, disk harrow and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Have a 7100 series with the series2 kt-17, it pulls trailers, blows snow, cuts grass, grades dirt, aerates, and pulls shrubs. 1500 is a lot for the machine but if it really is all new then save yourself some fix it time and buy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts