My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hear ya Steve!! couldn't take the chance up here in Cow Hampshire................. READY
You may get your chance Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
We had 40 MPH sustained winds most of the day with gusts to 60 MPH. That pretty much takes care of the leaves unless we get a big wind out of the East sometime soon.
Now I need to get the equipment switched over for winter.

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
we've been having 20-40 mph winds here. Glad it's not snowing cause I'm not ready.

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
bad high winds here today.

·
Registered
238 Posts
bad high winds here today.
Nearly across the northern part of the USA and into Canada from coast to coast.

As for the OPs posting, I've learned that there are 2 good windows of opportunity to change the oil or flush the hydraulics before old man winter blows from months on end. The 2 windows are the day between Oct 31 and Thanksgiving. Don't put it off.

My Compact tractor is used all year. Crops and hay for the summer and snow plowing in the winter. Thus, the oil needs to be changed 2X a year. Summer grade and winter grade. Check your manuals for the recommend grades to use as each manufacture's engines require different seasonal oils. For most of the John Deere Compacts and Yanmars, it's 5W30 for winter use and J20C for the hydraulic oil.

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
Nearly across the northern part of the USA and into Canada from coast to coast.

As for the OPs posting, I've learned that there are 2 good windows of opportunity to change the oil or flush the hydraulics before old man winter blows from months on end. The 2 windows are the day between Oct 31 and Thanksgiving. Don't put it off.

My Compact tractor is used all year. Crops and hay for the summer and snow plowing in the winter. Thus, the oil needs to be changed 2X a year. Summer grade and winter grade. Check your manuals for the recommend grades to use as each manufacture's engines require different seasonal oils. For most of the John Deere Compacts and Yanmars, it's 5W30 for winter use and J20C for the hydraulic oil.
I wish my Yanmar was running correctly then I would have no worries.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wish my Yanmar was running correctly then I would have no worries.
What Yanmar engine in your equipment isn't working or running right? Got an engine code plate number to go by? I may have a Service and Parts Manual to cross reference that engine.

:tango_face_glasses:

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
What Yanmar engine in your equipment isn't working or running right? Got an engine code plate number to go by? I may have a Service and Parts Manual to cross reference that engine.

:tango_face_glasses:
It's in a 332 JD not going out right now to look for the #'s but it starts runs until you give it too much throttle. Then it wants to die, back it down and then even at and idle. just changed the fuel filter, new fuel with additive. I haven't had time to dive into it yet. so.............. But it ran awesome for 5 months after I bought it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm hunkered down in SE Michigan. A week ago Sunday, did the final gutter and leaf clean up. Pure luck. Monday it started to snow, and I spent some time swapping the deck for the blade. By late Monday about 9.5 inches got plowed, then about 1 more inch overnight.

Rain since with a couple of partly something days between. Ground here is bare now, but 100% saturated, with light rain predicted for the next few days.

Have seen this before. Very early heavy snow, followed by rain, followed by no snow till February. ?? No prediction, just remembering some past seasons.

The "thing" I caught has lasted about 2 weeks now but improving daily. Left me listless, not much appetite, and tired, but gradually recovering. It is a rough one whatever it is. Get as much rest as you can.

Hope you feel better quick

·
15,000 +posts!
19,667 Posts
I hope I dont get sick--I do not get flu shots (for several reasons) and hate going into stores with a hundred coughing people or kids everywhere..here in MA I hear we are one of only a few states with a large flu outbreak already--lucky us..:(

I just watched a recent forecast, and see they are now predicting at least some snow to fall in my area on Sunday just after dark...:(...

It may turn to rain during the night here,but remain snow further inland to the north & west parts of MA..and the storm is expected to "linger" off the coast until Tuesday sometime before pulling away.so some areas may get a good dumping,like up to a foot in the western part of the state..

My area may get "plowable" snow,or just a rain/slush mix,I'm right on the cusp of the rain/snow line..of course the storm is has to cross the Rockies and develop,so things can change a lot by Sunday too...I'm hoping for RAIN...

The outdoor flea market I like going to was supposed to stay open until this Sunday,provided the weather was going to be bearable--but last Sunday it was a monsoon here all day,so they cancelled it two days prior (on their facebook page).

--today I just read they decided not to open this Sunday either,despite it expected to just be cloudy until noon,but its going to only be in the 30's ,and the last few times I went there it was very chilly and windy,under 40 degrees and not too many sellers or buyers were there--they probably didn't expect many sellers to show up this Sunday,cant say I blame them for calling it quits "early"-- their last scheduled day was Nov. 17th ,and that ended up being the last one for this season,but they had announced if the weather permitted they would stay open till Dec 2nd.....:(

I like going there if for no other reason,to just walk around a few miles and get my legs working after sitting all week--if I dont I "lock up" at the knees and spine ...its a long boring 6 months till they open up again in March..
I always score some great deals there ..

My plow tractor is running,I used it a few times recently to plow leaves into piles--guess I should move my J-D "mowing" tractor behind it in the garage so the plow tractor will be first one out the door--and tomorrow I should fill up the wood boxes in the house with logs for the wood stove,it is going to be quite cold this coming week...should put the plow on my truck Sunday morning too,just in case..

Not looking forward to winter at all--every year I am less able to deal with snow removal and the cold,the daylight ending at 4 pm sucks royally too..feels like I just got up a few hours ago and it is getting dark already..but I get up at 5-6 am!..

My back has been killing me the past 2 weeks,I'm hoping I wont need to do any shoveling...glad I got the south facing side of the roof re-shingled on Nov 1st ,and the top of the chimney rebuilt and a new stainless steel cap put on it...it rained many times and the roofer had to keep postponing the job,it was supposed to be done in October...so at least the roof should not leak ..and I can use the wood stoves with less fear now if I need too..

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
Well my hunting this past 4 days was a bust. While I like to hunt I do not like to sit in a tree stand in rain and wet snow 2 days worth. Then you add 20-40 mph winds nope! AND you find a deer tick on you at 4 am Monday morning and it's off for sure. I soaked it with dawn, my nurse wife pull it off dead then called in a prescription for me so I don't get lime again. But hey I came home to a clean driveway even though I don't have the blower on the 332 yet. :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts