My Tractor Forum banner

shopping for an 8n have a few ?s

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  raytasch 
#1 ·
my wife and i are looking to purchace our first tractor. we recently bought a 12 acre homestead and are looking for a machine to help with the chores. grading the driveway once a year, mowing three small fields, digging postholes and skidding/hauling firewood are a few of the things we'd like to use our tractor for.

i have found two 8ns localy each have their own issues. there is a '48 8n that comes with a box scraper. its listed at $2300. its in good shape but has a charging issue. the generator is shot. the owner is running it off a 12v bat. when the bat runs out of charge the tractor starts to sputter and he charges the bat again. i'm guessing there could be some fried wiring if i poke around enough.

the second 8n is a '53. it comes with a blade. and is listed at $1500. it has a smoking motor.

the hydrolics and tires seam comprable on the two. i shopped around and found a generator but they are expencive. about the same as a rebuild kit for the motor. we'd like to just use the tractor and not be taking on a restoration project. i've read and been told the flat fours can smoke for years but for all i know this one has been smoking for years and could die tommorow. i have a compression testing gauge and could check the #s. i have know idea what they should be but its probably listed on this site somewhere.

anyway would anyone care to share their advice on which might be a better choice? cheaper with smoke and a blade, or more $ for no charging system and a box scraper?

See less See more
#3 ·
The 8n is a 6 volt positive ground system. It should have an alternator if changed to 12 volt or a rewired generator to 12 volt or a 12 volt generator. If all he did was switch the battery to 12 volt then the 6 volt generator is not going to charge it.
Charging issues are useally less costly then smoking issues.
Both tractor prices are a little high in my area.

Kirk

#4 ·
Welcome to MTF.
IMO, an 8N in good condition for a couple thousand is not a bad deal. So far as the charging, an alternator kit and a new wiring kit will correct that problem for less than $200. if as you said, it has a 12v battery. For a working tractor with electrical problems, I would convert to the 12v alternator....Think lights or any other electricals you may want to run later.
Be mindful of the limitations the N's non live hydraulics. If the other tractor is truly a 1953 it is an NAA Golden Jubilee with live hydraulics and is, IMO, much more desirable. You'll need an ORC to safely power a rotary mower, usually called a bush hog or brush hog. Check rear hubs for being tight and hydraulics for holding a load with the engine stopped. Good luck.

#5 ·
I agree that the charging issue will (most likely) cost considerably less money to fix than the smoking issue (most likely) will.

In my opinion... $2300 is not an outrageous price for an 8N with a box blade, but... I might would try to use the repair requirement as a leverage to try and get that price lowered... see if you could get it for $2000.

Now... if that '53 actually turns out to be a '53 (which would be an NAA, rather than an 8N)... depending on what is actually wrong with it... I might take a closer look at it.

Like Ken mentioned... photos would help us give you some insight....

#6 ·
Good advise, for the very simple job of fixing the charging system you could have a fine tractor. PROVIDED as has been mentioned he has not been running a 6v system on 12V, even then it ain't no biggie to change it over.

The best thing to do is to go the John Smiths site and download his excellent guide for evaluating a tractor.

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/

#7 ·
the 48 has not been converted to 12v. the owner simply dropped the battery in. the points and condensor could be fried? lights? i'll get some pics and double check the year/make of what i called the '53.

does anyone know what reasonable cylender compression #s would be?

thank you for the advice.

#8 ·
A healthy engine will run near 100psi on compression and all cylinders should be close. They will run with less. More is better. If the PO failed to install a resistor in the ignition system the points are fried, yes. That should not be a deal killer as you would want to go through wiring correctly anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.