My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because we all dont live in the same city, shipping our mowers to each other is going to come up as it has in the last week or two. I just want to share the info that I know about shipping with you guys.

My dad is a local semi-truck driver and there is nothing cheap about using a big name commercial trucking company

For those of us that live in the Midwest, Spee-Dee Delivery is a very affordable choice. They only ship to Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and St Louis. Just to give an example of how cheap Spee-Dee is, it would cost $56 to ship a 150 pound box from one edge of their shipping area to the other edge of their shipping area. There are not very main terminals where you can drop off your boxes but for a $10 service fee they will send a truck to your house to pick up the box. For those of you that live just outside the shipping area (borders of states), Spee-Dee will hold the package at the nearest location to you and you will have to go pick it up. Also Spee-Dee does not use dimensional weight. For those of you that dont know, dimensional weight means if a box has a certain girth it automatically weight 50 or 75 or more pounds, even if the scale does not read that weight.

For everyone else there is a website called uship.com. I found out about this company while watching the A&E series "Shipping Wars". You go to this site, make an account, and then post what you need shipped. Include information on origin, destination, weight, time frame, dimensions, and pictures. The shippers will then bid on what they will charge you to ship the item. Remember they bid to get the shipment at the lowest cost to you. You do not have to box the item but it might be helpful for the shipper and it will protect the mower.

Hope this info will help everyone

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another idea I have is an intramember "shipping service" I know that I will be making a trip to southern Illinois to pick up something and could possible pick up or drop off other members mowers at another members place. If it would off set my gas be $20-$50 I would do it. The only problem is going to be trust. I would hope the everyone here would trust everyone but you just dont know.

Just an idea. In a perfect world it would work but the world is not perfect.

·
Cityboy
607 Posts
Another idea I have is an intramember "shipping service" I know that I will be making a trip to southern Illinois to pick up something and could possible pick up or drop off other members mowers at another members place. If it would off set my gas be $20-$50 I would do it. The only problem is going to be trust. I would hope the everyone here would trust everyone but you just dont know.

Just an idea. In a perfect world it would work but the world is not perfect.
I like your ideas but it's seems to be hard to get folks involved. I've noticed that they will post a listing from craigslist about a great deal on a mower in their area and then when you ask them or anyone in the area to please go buy it for you and ship it and you will pay for it and their time you never get any takers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.