My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling my 19" International 3311, and have been asked about shipping it. I've never shipped anything that large, so I'd like to ask for some advise from the experts here who have.

Is it best to package yourself, or have a shipping company do it?

Who is the best to ship through, UPS or FedEx?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I sold my 5232 and shipped without any problems. My advise would be to pack yourself, get dimensions and weight. Get quotes from a few different carriers. I weighed mine with an old bathroom scale.

I removed the obvious items including wheels.

Good Luck.

MU

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I sold my 5232 and shipped without any problems. My advise would be to pack yourself, get dimensions and weight. Get quotes from a few different carriers. I weighed mine with an old bathroom scale.

I removed the obvious items including wheels.

Good Luck.

MU
Actually the 5232 deck arrived with a chunk broken off of it. In retrospect it's probably best to leave the wheels on. The 3053 I just shipped had the wheels left on. I double layered the cardboard on the bottom and sides of the box and used foam to try and protect the powdercoated areas. I've seen boxes full of packing peanuts used successfully, too. But they get all over the place.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The best way to pack. Double or tripple wall box with a extra tape holding the bottom in. You could also use liquid nails to hold the box guts together. Install solid bottom 1" sheet styrofoam board. Line box with with l" styrofoam. Install a solid top and double line. Use heavy packing tape. Wrap chrome pieces in news paper or foam sheet, tape the ends. The mower deck goes in first sans mulch plate and wheels, wheel adjusters full up. Stuff the wheels under the deck then pack with peanuts. Pack everything in tight, tight, tight. On a most mowers you can pull the recoil and recoil cup to prevent damage and makes the motor a flatter surface as well as reducing your box size 2"( on a 22260-61 this is an expensive part). Pack and wrap everything to prevent scratches. Remember this will be kicked, dragged, rattled, and dropped. UPS says that your package should survive a 6' drop. They will deny most insurance claims. There should be no movement in the box. A slightly bulging box is a good thing. I generally apply a full 60yd roll of tape to the outside of the box. I get my boxes from the local toro dealer and packing peanuts, wrapping foam from the recycle center for free. The insulation board runs $10 at home depot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geesh, sounds like you pack 'em better than the factory they came from did. O.K., this is definitely doable, pick up would sure be easier, but if need be, I'll ship. Thanks for the input.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I had my 8157 shipped here from Florida, via UPS. They brought the mower to the UPS store, and they boxed it up themselves. When it was delivered, the box wasn't in spectacular shape, but the mower was. It was double- and triple-wrapped in bubble wrap, the handle was wrapped separately, and it arrived in perfect shape. It wasn't cheap (about $200 as I recall), but it got the mower here in A1 condition.

·
Administrator
21,526 Posts
A thought might be to get a few cans of the spray foam insulation. Spray in the bottom of the carton, put a plastic garbage back down, put the mower in, another plastic garbage bag, more foam insulation.

I priced shipping stuff via Greyhound bus and seems as tho the price was going to be about $45 from Kansas City to New Jersey, just grabbing some places for reference. Drop at the bus depot, pick up at the bus depot.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
It is hard to find the right sized box to ship a mower, so I ask at the stores that sell new ones. I have found that putting a 2" layer of styrofoam peanuts in the bottom of the box and then cutting a close fitting heavy cardboard false bottom inserted over the peanuts to set the mower on will help with the package tossers. Raise or remove the wheels so that it is sitting on the deck and wrap lots of bubble wrap, foam sheet around the folded or removed handles to keep them from rubbing the other parts of the mower. Be sure to remove and run dry all gas from the tank and carb, then put a piece of plastic food wrap under the gas cap or it may smell of gas and the shipper might refuse the shipment. If it is a 4 cycle remove the oil and tape a note to the gas tank that no oil is in the crankcase. Pack lots of wadded up newspaper around the deck to keep it from shifting and breaking through the sidewalls of the box. You will find that if you do it right it will take an hour or so to get it packed up reasonably well. I also glue and tape the carton well. If you can include some sort of handles on the box it will be easier to handle and might not get dropped and thrown around as much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts