My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty--here we go. Pics to come. This tractor is equipped with solenoid controls for the hydraulic lift. What I am attempting is to either figure out how the things work and repair...or cobble together an override control. I looked at a thousand pics and decided that the Ford 1500 lift surely would bolt straight on to my sd, and got one on ebay. Nope. Not the same dimensions. I'm still going to sit the 1500 lift on it for pics for proof, in case anyone else is thinking about trying it. I'll make all the mistakes so keep an eye on this thread if you have or are thinking about picking up a Shibaura.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are going to figure this out together. Dad gum it, if somebody made these things, they can be figured out!

Never give up! Never surrender!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's the piston with it's new seal installed. Got a seal from Messicks--SBA050309012, found the part number on New Holland's website. Very nice of them to carry the parts listings on these legacy machines. You can save the listings as a pdf file as well. Has exploded diagrams and all the part numbers. I was going by 1700 tractor, as that one seems to match this 2200 best.

edit--put the seal in a cat food can with some safflower oil, heated it up to 200 in the oven, went on easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Side by side pic of the lift from the 2200 and the Ford 1500 lift I picked up. The head looks very close--may be the same one, but the base of the lift cover is smaller than the 2200 cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tested the ports on the side of the lift with air pressure, after I got the cylinder in and head bolted down. The right port pressure makes the lift rise. The middle one is apparently the "line in" from the pump. Blow air in it, and it comes out of the hole where the steel line from the pump attaches. The left port I think lets the lift down. Air directed to this port is venting into the crankcase as far as I can tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the solenoids taken apart but no pics yet. Drained the hydraulic fluid out this morning. Next step is to get some solvent and clean the oils off the solenoid and lift cover. Test the solenoids coils with a 12 volt source, then hope to find a close enough grey to shoot a coat on before I start bolting back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally getting back to wrap this up. I did get the lift to work through the solenoids. Had to totally bypass all the other control mechanisms and go with a direct switch. Grounded one of the solenoid leads to the chassis, the other to 12v with a "momentary" switch. Not the best fix of course, but it does work!

One switch for lift, one for lower.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you! Apparently they love the solenoid controls in Cambodia and Malaysia, the things have draft control built into them. I just wanted it to go up and down. I would like to get a hydraulic top link on it. There are some Shibaura grey market tractors with the regular lift controls, I got the "Deluxe" version though!

·
1,766 Posts
Shibaura is actually a Japanese maker. Good stuff... I really like mine (though it's a good bit smaller than yours).

:trink39:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That (Japanese Manufacture) is one of the reasons I went with this one--abused as it is. I can tell this rig was made to last. Going to try pulling the head next year and see if I can get it reworked--burning oil--I'm thinking at least part of it is valve seals. I really need to split it and get the whole engine gone through, but I'll be leaning on it too much--going after the privet jungle--about 3 acres of it. Going to put that 4wd to the test and see if we can't just yank a bunch of the invasive crap plants up. : - ) I've also got some of the healthiest poison ivy ever!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts