My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Daryl G
855 Posts
Dual wheels changes it's personality dramatically, and makes it a real working tractor. More traction, more weight, and a wider stance. Dual wheels are worth every penny it takes to convert it.
Lnk,
Let me echo what franklin2 stated... dual wheels are absolutely incredible!!! I brush cut some very steep and sandy banks by our creek. Previously, I did this with just a pair of ag tires and it worked ME really hard because I was having to use a lot of 'body english' to keep the machine on track PLUS there were many sections that I simply could not access. Then, I picked up my fourth machine and as part of the package it came with a set of dual wheels. Some time passed and after reading on mytractorforum about the benefits of the dual wheels, I pulled these from my shed and installed the set. I have not removed them since that day! The improvement FAR exceeded whatever I could have imagined. The tractor's ability to perform on hills and banks has improved tremendously. The stability is... well, the machine is going where you point it. I can cut many more areas than I was I simply could not safely reach before. The only downside that I have experienced is that if you are cutting near trees, one needs to be very careful because more than once the extra stanch can grab a hold of a tree and swing the operator and machine as the Gravely tries to climb the tree.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I'll join the throng. Duals are great for marginal traction situations, hills or other rough ground. When I was using my first L8 as the primary mowing machine, I ended up with wanting them due to the ups and downs in my lawn.

https://www.mytractorforum.com/798159-post2.html

They *do* make it noticably harder to turn tightly. You get to practice your technique of not trying to muscle the tractor around :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sound like. Need to find a set of duals. At least for the C8, still not sure what the L is going to best used for. Will wait until I run her a bit to see what speeds I am dealing with. I do have an older brunch mower, with the two holes in the cap. Locked up right now but I will tear it down and see what it needs. It is an old 4 bolt, and is stamped 102 on the casting. I just know it is not a 106. Perhaps it can be my fence line mower.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I for one would like to see a dual wheel LS w/ GRW too! Would go anywhere.
I've never seen dual adapters for GRWs. It sure would be a beast!

I have run GRWs on one of my LS's. Talk about a crawler! It turns out that an LS with GRWs in low speed is just about exactly the same speed as a mountaineer in low/low/low :)

I keep meaning to mount a set of extension axles, and put GRWs on the ends. That would be nearly as cool as dual GRWs . . .

21 - 25 of 25 Posts