My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I just picked up a Sherman Power Digger Model 49. From what I can tell this backhoe was not very popular. I have searched the web and finally found something google can't find. I found a lot on the model 54 but zip for the model 49.

From what I can tell the big difference is the 54 has a cylinder on the bucket to curl where the 49 is fixed to the boom. The 49 only has 3 controls on the hyd quadrent - right left swing, boom up/down, and crowd.

Does anyone have one of these or has anyone seen one ?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
There's a couple machines here in town with backhoe's,a little similar to that.Where in CT are you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link Kirk. I already have the original manual (from 1950) but the only picture in is the one above. I was surprised the parts list in the back or the manual didn't have any exploded drawings of the assemblies. From the one pic I have I can figure out how everything goes together I'm just not sure how it mounts to the tractor.

George

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'
ve got one on my 8N. Let me know if I can be of help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi merlynr

If you could take a picture of how the hoe mounts to the tractor and a picture of how the hyd hoses are routed that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

George

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I can see it working for general excavating , digging a ditch etc. but not being able to load a truck as it would dump its load if raised to the height needed to clear the side of the dump body. Likely that why it wasn't very popular , true it was a cheaper system to build but limited use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree it will be limited but will be handy to have on the property for general digging. I suppose I could add a cylinder to the bucket without to much trouble but I like the simplicity.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi merlynr

If you could take a picture of how the hoe mounts to the tractor and a picture of how the hyd hoses are routed that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

George
Are you only interested in the backhoe part or all? May be a couple of days. Ok only the hoe part, but bear in mind that all hydraulics run off of a pump in front of engine. It has pipes and hoses all over the place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you only interested in the backhoe part or all? May be a couple of days. Ok only the hoe part, but bear in mind that all hydraulics run off of a pump in front of engine. It has pipes and hoses all over the place.
Actually if you could just get me pics of how it attaches to the back of the tractor that would be a huge help. From what I can tell there are suppose to be U bolts that go around the rear axle and brackets that mount to the center axle housing one on each side just below the top link.

Thanks
George

1 - 15 of 15 Posts