My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out and about last week, and happened upon a score that I have waiting for to come along.

At the home shop, err,, garage space is really tight and my tools are everywhere. The tools I have and a lot of other things are just too heavy for regular shelves, as was evidenced last year by my failed riveted shelving units right in the middle of the shop floor, the mangled twisted shelving standing there looking forlorn. Grinders, sanders, hoists, all manner of " manly things" strewn about...The shop just never really recovered as I was too cheap to replace them with industrial units at home, nor took the time to build some out of stuff I have laying around.:banghead3.And I was not shelling out good money for what could be called " strong shelves" that have wood shelves that sag over time.... Frustrating really, but I now have part of the solution.

Tripped on a bunch of really nice industrial shelving units at a driveway sale from a downsizing company, and just could not pass them up. They have casters ( with grease zerks :)) and the uprights are nice steel tube. The shelves are heavy gauge galvanized sheet, that someone took the time to put in a brake to make them fit decently.:fing32:

After a couple trips with a small trailer , a good washing and pressure blasting they are getting closer to being utilized. Not a perfect paint job by any means but it will be nice enough.

Hopefully today is nice enough to get the finish paint on them.:)

Did I mention that I gave 40 bucks each for them????:fing20::dancingpa:bannana:

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
WOW! Those look really hefty! You did really good! :fing32:

·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I was hoping for a good day to paint yesterday, but the weather just did not cooperate. Too cold ( low 30's) then spotty rain in the PM... Oh well, worked on trees instead. :) Though today looks good in the PM for painting, and I'll see if I can break away from other things to get it done.

Shooting 'em with some closeout XO rust or Rust Oleum I have laying around, I think I gave 10 or 15 bucks for the gallon. Shelves on the cheap for sure, and things on wheels are my new " thing" . :fing32: Even my 4' x 8 ' steel workbench is on wheels so these should be right at home in there.

Attachments

·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shhh, don't tell Mr's M! LOL! Paint was cold, so it's getting a nice warm bath.:hide:

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,876 Posts
That's a very nice score. Problem solved, low bucks, for you. Congrats :fing32:

·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, they are green now, and one blue aisle cart for Pops. He gets one shelf unit too, actually for Mom ( she's going to use it for garden stuff) :) . Turns out Regal blue is the color for the cart ( almost a factory match ) and the Hunter Green is an old standyby. I reduced it with Xylol to give it a kick, as I couldn't find any Japan Drier even though I know I have a can or two.:banghead3.

As I finished painting these by worklight, I'm sure there are a few light spots , but I can take care of that later. Perfect timing too, as a storm just passed over this morning.

Time to tear into the shop and make it more user friendly once again.:)

Attachments

·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And so it begins, what great timing.:duh::biglaugh: I decided to consolidate, as I have another place in town with a few things there as well. Mr's M and I spent the past weekend moving stuff and more stuff from there to the shack here. The piles just grew and grew. Best score was as the shelving and workbenches ( hmmm, materials ! yay!) I had in the other place, just disassembled them and am re- working into the mix.

Oh , this is going to take a while. :bonk: I cut a doorway through one side of the garage, and then into my insulated trailer, err,, mobile storage pod.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've had my share of flimsy shelves and casters. That will be nice to grab a shelf to move it without having to wonder if the wheels will roll or the shelf will bend. :fing32:

·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That ^^^ certainly had happened to me and I hate it.

I really had hoped to put up a tinkertoy shop here at the shack, but the house went over budget. Go figure.

My new paradigm is to use up all materials on hand, even the trailers :)

I spent the weekend consolidating, disassembling stuff, and cleaning house. Sunday was perfect for painting and prep for some under - utilized space in the insulated trailer.

I tore apart my mothballed sprayfoam machine, hopefully it's parts will have a new life as something else ( I already have a couple things in mind) and that yielded some good space in the cave. It is far and away the most expensive workbench I have ever owned LOL! ( see pic) It was kinda hard to do, to let go of that thing, it had been a "sorta" successful part of my business but the economy dictates it is time to move on.

Sprayed out the ceiling 3 coats, walls, 3 coats and backbrushed ( I like my airless paint sprayer :) ) Then a coat of industrial oil enamel on the plywood floor. All stuff on hand.

This space will be my " clean " space, more for painting and smaller projects, isolated from the garage workspace. I work a lot from home , and since I have no basement and am always working on something , I need a " man cave" that's a little more than a garage. The in home studio just ain't cutting it...

The pile of stuff I took out is impressive, and the pile I have to move back in is too. I guess I'm still in the " It's going to look worse before it looks better" stage of re- organizing. Hopefully I'm further along before the ground freezes tight. :imnotlist

Flooring going in this morning before the week gets going....

Here's a couple pics-

Attachments

·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the floor paint did not dry for almost 3 days,it was pretty old ... :dunno: so I worked on other stuff in the meantime, but eventually got back in there to start the hookstrips for shelving at the nose , and got some of the basic side shelving in.

I went after another part of the garage the was well due for some attention- The "shed" area was a catch all during contruction, and the room pictured below was chocked full of all manner of things for our project here, and for others as well.

I think it's an improvement , and hope to put the freestanding shelves back in the shed when all the paints have dried. ( Ceilings, walls, floors too) All shelving will have to be off the floor a bit, so some planning and further pedestals will have to be built.

The air compressor even got a new cozy corner too :)

Attachments

·
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the outside is definitely in the looking worse before it looks better stage. Can't wait to get it all back in shape .

Wish me luck - I'm gonna need it, the nights are getting colder . :duh::ROF

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts