My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the use of ethanol-based fuels, how long can you keep premixed fuel for use in a 2 cycle engine? I use PRI-G as a stabilizer, and Stihl oil which claims to have some fuel stabilizer. A local Stihl dealer just told me that you shouldn't keep ethanol based fuel for more than a MONTH. Anybody else have some knowledge on the subject?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Depends alot on the quality of fuel you are getting and the ACTUAL ethanol content.

If you are getting E10 or better, and use a good stabilizer, and store it in a sealed container...Id say tops, 3 months.

If you are getting over E10...1 month.

as the volume decreases, the fuels life decreases with it.

1 Gallons has more life than 1/2 gallon.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yeah, the oldest I let it go is 3 months. After it gets older than that I dump it in the Allis. I think it would probably run on bacon grease.

·
Super Moderator
33,701 Posts
Wow, I hate to say this but I've used my 2 cycle fuel for as much as 6 months to a year and never seem to have a problem!

·
Administrator
11,832 Posts
Wow, I hate to say this but I've used my 2 cycle fuel for as much as 6 months to a year and never seem to have a problem!
I used to say that too. I did not even use stabilizer at first. Then around five years ago started to have some problems and went to using stabilizer year round, problem solved. But then something changed again over the last year or so and I'm guessing it was probably the Ethanol % used locally though I do not have proof.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/ne...engines-industry-engineers-say-132968333.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts