My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes...

what would you like to know???

where i live in quebec canada...these are used mainly in the winter. people put them in their driveways for a temporary garage during the winter months.

the brand that is sold the most up here is called... Tempo....as in temporary.

i sold mine last year cus of back probs and not being able to set it up in the fall and take it down in the spring.

most municipalities let you use these but some do not allow them for various reasons.

some people and more so on farms use them all year round for wood storage tractors and such. i don't think the bylaws in the country side is as strict on structures like these.

the brand Tempo is the more expensive one around here. there are many other companies that sell them but the quality differs very much.

don't be shy ask me anything about them have been using them for 25 or so years with the exception of the fore mentioned reason of bad back.

fab

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'm most curious about is how it stands up to typical exposure levels of sun, wind and rain over an extended period. I don't expect it to stand up against a full grown Oklahoma thunderstorm - I hope to have the shop completed before we get into the fall severe weather season, but I'm hoping it can handle daily 90 - 100 + temps, full sun, and some wind and rain without breaking down too quickly.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,336 Posts
I've heard of more problems related to snow than anything else.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Go with the roundtop style as they can take quite a snow load. I have a 12x20 that's been standing for many years.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,588 Posts
I got a 10'x20' from TSC. It's going on its 3rd or 4th year and holding up well. The covering is getting brittle from sun,rain, & snow, but there are no rips yet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have had several temporary shelters over the years only because i have moved and drive way sizes have changed but the longest i have used a shelter was for ten years and the only thing that wore out was the doors from wind making the bottom of the door flap in the wind and it wore out on the bottom where it rubbed on the ground.

now, price does say a lot when purchasing one of these shelters and the price would be in the quality of the tarp. also the quality of the tubing the thicker the better on both the tubing and the tarp itself.

as for the sun wearing the material down i can't tell ya cus i only used them during the winter months and the sun is not as strong, so i can't help ya there. most of the ones i have owned were white in color so they reflect the heat quite a bit if thats of any help to you in deciding what to buy.

as for the wind, if you have it anchored properly it will withstand almost any wind. one home i had was out in the open, no protection from the wind what so ever and the winter winds can blow quite hard at times up here in quebec and i have never had any probs. i've seen some of my neighbors have to go and collect their shelters down the rode...loll...because they did not tie it down properly. hint....you have to keep the doors closed when you know there is going to be a storm of some sort...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Sounds like a workable solution for my immediate needs, plus will give me a temp shelter/cover I can setup quickly when needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts