My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
Nice save but they are not tractors the are yard work VWs. LOL............. :tango_face_devil:

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
LOL. Volksgravely, the peoples' tractor. I like it. Funny, some time ago I was thinking that it would be a hoot to stick this on the seat pan over the muffler of one of my Gravelys, and send a pic to Autoweek.

Attachments

·
10,309 Posts
‘Patina’

def:

one owner away from getting scrapped, due to looking like carp.

If she runs and works well for ya when you get it all sorted out, then start stockpiling the primer and paint.

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
I know I won't be able to bring myself to keeping it looking like this, so come spring I'll start "beautifying" it, as my wife says. While I was explaining to her just how little it was going to cost to get it running, she said "So I guess you'll be beautifying it too", no doubt factoring in the cost of primer, and paint (she's been around for my past tractor adventures). And a battery, ignition switch and maybe a set of All Trails, front attachment mounts, a front drive shaft...:tango_face_smile:

·
Master Cranker!!!
14,985 Posts
The rust *does* give it the look of an old honest hard working tractor, and it *would* mean less work for me. I just don't know how long I'd be able to keep my trigger finger off of the rattle can trigger.

My neighbor said the same thing though. Clearcoat it the way it is and keep the patina, like a rat rod.
‘Patina’

def:

one owner away from getting scrapped, due to looking like carp.

If she runs and works well for ya when you get it all sorted out, then start stockpiling the primer and paint.
So refreshing to read that Ellisitis is not contagious.
If it is, I haven't caught it. It could be a case of pigmentumphobia, the fear of paint.:Stop: Ellisitis sounds better though.
Fancy paint, shiny paint, blah, blah, blah.........the way that machine looks is a reflection of it's life. Give it a decent seat and a clear coat, Dave. Shed the chains and be free. What matters is how it runs, fruit cups.

Found a vid of you two talking about how riding on one of your polished pearls makes ya feel.........:sidelaugh

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
LOL, very nice. I just hope that this song doesn't pop into my head next time I'm running one of the tractors. It probably will though, so thanks for that, Ellis.:tango_face_smile:

If I leave it the way it is I'll keep feeling sorry for it, so it will be getting new paint. You have to admit it *is* a pretty sorrowful looking thing right now.

Speaking of paint, look at the pic below. How does it make you feel?:tango_face_grin:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Yesterday I installed the ebay cylinder shroud on the phantom, so I was able to run the engine for a longer time. I noticed air, oil, and smoke being blown out of the breather, along with lack of power. I'll check the breather for the heck of it, but think that it's something else causing the problem. I'm hoping that it's a valve stuck in a partially open position.

·
16,275 Posts
Well? Any results yet?? Did you spray some MMO or luber down the spark plug hole and let her sit awhile?

Just thinking here--

glenn

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
No, I just found this out while running it yesterday after installing the "new" right side shroud. I didn't even get to open up the valve adjustment covers to see if all of the valve stems were moving. The tractor is about 1 1/2 hours away at the other place. I'll probably trailer it back here when I get the chance now that I know there is something a little involved going on. I'm hoping for a stuck valve, and not rings, valve seals, or both.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
Fancy paint, shiny paint, blah, blah, blah.........the way that machine looks is a reflection of it's life. Give it a decent seat and a clear coat, Dave. Shed the chains and be free. What matters is how it runs, fruit cups.

Found a vid of you two talking about how riding on one of your polished pearls makes ya feel.........:sidelaugh

Im wondering just what kind of trigger my trigger finger would be used for on that thing, .000 buck wouldnt hurt it to much ( just joking, so please...) Wonder what the flashing light is for on it, Parades ya think?

·
Administrator
12,186 Posts
I know I won't be able to bring myself to keeping it looking like this, so come spring I'll start "beautifying" it, as my wife says. While I was explaining to her just how little it was going to cost to get it running, she said "So I guess you'll be beautifying it too", no doubt factoring in the cost of primer, and paint (she's been around for my past tractor adventures). And a battery, ignition switch and maybe a set of All Trails, front attachment mounts, a front drive shaft...:tango_face_smile:
Will be checking in on your progress, Dave, you do nice work!

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I didnt mean to quote anyone but I guess I dont have this new thing figured out yet but I was gonna say my L model looked the same way as that did and a little grinding & stripping & a few electrolysis dunks and paint of course and it looks pretty good now but Im sure eveyone knows that on here.
Of course a L model has a lot less pieces to deal with than a rider but I couldnt have just let it go to waste either.
If it says "Gravely" on it now a days Im gonna give it my all to get it in my posession because if nothing else it has some good parts on it Im sure. Getting my parts LI was the best thing I ever did concerning trying to restore my L model because without it I would still be saving money and buying new/used parts like a jug and piston for starters and much more. If I hadn't gotten the LI for all the parts I got from it I possibly could have sold-out what I had and forgotten about it and waited forever again to run into one. And I dont have forever anymore,,,,not even close.
I hope I live long enuf to get this one done.
So hope you got some pix of it one day soon looking and running great.

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Im wondering just what kind of trigger my trigger finger would be used for on that thing, .000 buck wouldnt hurt it to much ( just joking, so please...)
No, double 0 wouldn't hurt it. It's a Gravely after all. :)
Thanks, guys. The plan is to get the pressurized engine block situation squared away now so that I can use it to plow the other driveway this winter, then start on the paint prep when it warms up in spring. I'm still hoping I'll find a stuck valve, or heavily carboned up valve seat when I check.

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks again, Mike (quoted your quoted post by mistake last time).

Just stumbled on this thread, great work Dave! Can't wait to follow along :). I remember hearing about the phantom with the adult beverage bet with Ellis many moons ago :sidelaugh:.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Thanks, Mikey. Yes, many moons ago. Over 6 years to be exact. I'll bet you thought that you stumbled across another Ellis resto thread when you first saw it. :) This probably isn't the thread in which I should be joking about Ellis' threads though. Pot calling the kettle black kind of thing. :)

·
Master Cranker!!!
14,985 Posts
Thanks, Mikey. Yes, many moons ago. Over 6 years to be exact. I'll bet you thought that you stumbled across another Ellis resto thread when you first saw it. :) This probably isn't the thread in which I should be joking about Ellis' threads though. Pot calling the kettle black kind of thing. :)
Now now, Dave, don't be too hard on yourself. It hasn't been six years since you foolishly challenged me and you were then thus fairly beaten, and your case of hydration vessels taken from you. It's actually been 4 years, 6 months and 12 days. Not that it's something I keep track of or would ever flaunt. That's just not the way I roll.

mowinplaque.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Now now, Dave, don't be too hard on yourself. It hasn't been six years since you foolishly challenged me and you were then thus fairly beaten, and your case of hydration vessels taken from you. It's actually been 4 years, 6 months and 12 days. Not that it's something I keep track of or would ever flaunt. That's just not the way I roll.

View attachment 2442174
LOL. No, I know you would never do anything like that.. I forgot that you have an atomic clock. So I guess that while our bet was 4 years, 6 months, and 12 days ago, I picked up the Phantom 6 years ago.
The way I see it, at least my hydration vessels went to a good cause. They seem to inspire you to get back to work on your latest projects. "Case" in point, the LoBoy. :)

BTW, it was nice that your Gravely award included the time frame of your "Custom" build (1916-2015)
:p

61 - 80 of 85 Posts