My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new head gasket yesterday and got it put on today. Put some bad in the tank and the glass bowl leaked like a sieve, but had to try it anyway.

Few cranks and she fired up! Just for a few seconds, but I know it will go. Going to stop at Napa tomorrow and see if the have the glass bowl and valve and get it on.

By the way, does anybody have a picture of the throttle setup when not using a governor? Mine came with a governor but due to a broken tab, I'm going to bypass that for now.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Got the new head gasket yesterday and got it put on today. Put some bad in the tank and the glass bowl leaked like a sieve, but had to try it anyway.

Few cranks and she fired up! Just for a few seconds, but I know it will go.
:congrats:
Going to stop at Napa tomorrow and see if the have the glass bowl and valve and get it on.

By the way, does anybody have a picture of the throttle setup when not using a governor? Mine came with a governor but due to a broken tab, I'm going to bypass that for now.

Basically it's just a rod straight from the throttle lever to the carb.

You'll need something shorter than the rod which goes to the little belcrank on the front of the carb. My advice is take the old rod off and save it for when you get the governor going. You can substitute a piece of stiff wire or welding rod for it, just to get you going.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
:fing32:

The throttle literally looks like a piece of wire. You might be able to make it out in this photo from when I was rotating the GRW hubs on my '63 LI:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:fing32:

The throttle literally looks like a piece of wire. You might be able to make it out in this photo from when I was rotating the GRW hubs on my '63 LI:

PERFECT! Thanks

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The first run is a great moment. :)

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Plumbob,

Unless you are trying to recreate an old Gravely for show, get rid of the old glass filter bowl set-up. Install a new screened shut off valve in its place, and don't forget to add a clear in line fuel filter in the new rubber hose.

A clear fuel filter in the fuel delivery hose is a great trouble shooting tool, it lets you know if fuel is making it to the carburetor.

Roger,

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
First start is magical....well for me it is. Congrats and good luck finishing it up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plumbob,

Unless you are trying to recreate an old Gravely for show, get rid of the old glass filter bowl set-up. Install a new screened shut off valve in its place, and don't forget to add a clear in line fuel filter in the new rubber hose.

A clear fuel filter in the fuel delivery hose is a great trouble shooting tool, it lets you know if fuel is making it to the carburetor.

Roger,
Thanks, I believe I will be going this route with it. Not planning on a restoration, I plan to work with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Plumbob,

Roger,
+1

The glass bowl on my '48 L was leaking very badly when I got it. I tried a new bowl gasket but it still leaked. I liked the way it looked, but for now I'm running an inline fuel filter and eliminated the glass bowl. Its great not having any fuel leaks, although oil leaks are a different story. :fing20:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I used to be a believer in bowl-type filters (gascolators) because I figured they kept out water better than inline ones, and you could easily see if you were getting water.

Nowadays with all the ethanol, your fuel picks up the water and carries it straight to the carb :(

Several of my machines have gascolators, but a bunch more don't. I'll use whatever works, but when things start leaking, I just stick in a T fitting and an inline and be done with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts