My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little tractor drove out of the garage under it's own power today.
This engine hasn't been run since the 70's and it wouldn't start when I first tried it.
Turned out the points were stuck open.
Once I got them working, it started right up and ran good with no smoking or knocking noises.

So I hopped up on the seat and backed her out to get these photos of it setting outside with the engine running.

There are a few bugs to work out. .....
The clutch doesn't release all the way and either the generator doesn't work or I got the volt meter hooked up wrong because it's not registering any volts.
The engine suddenly quit running when I was driving it back in the garage and wouldn't start back up and I haven't taken the time to find out why yet.
All an all, it was a good first run.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Ahhh! The maiden voyage. Course the "Maiden" is a bit long in the tooth.:thThumbsU

Good looking ride Ray.

Mike

·
Citizen of Earth
15,958 Posts
Nice machine! I'm not familiar with these at all, so are the steel wheels stock? I hope you find out the engine stoppage is something simple to fix.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
looking good

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice machine! I'm not familiar with these at all, so are the steel wheels stock? I hope you find out the engine stoppage is something simple to fix.
The steel wheels are what the garden tractor came with from the factory.

·
Transplanted flatlander
41 Posts
Ray, looks real good. Congratulations on the first run. I do have to admit that step with the open bars on the ends gives me the willys. I think I would edge that with something less likely to bark my shins on.
-Scrumpy

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sir, that is just too cool. My wife's family all live in MI. I think one of our trips will have to include a detour by your place.:fing32:
You are welcome to stop by any time.
Send me a privet email and I'll give you my address and phone number.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the engine stalling yesterday was easy to fix.
The problem was a screw loose in the operator ... I hadn't put enough gas in the tank and it ran out!

·
Registered
853 Posts
The little tractor drove out of the garage under it's own power today.
This engine hasn't been run since the 70's and it wouldn't start when I first .
What model is it? I've been collecting Shaw tractors and factory paperwork for near 50 years. I've never seen one like that. Only thing close that comes to mind is the Shaw D4T. D4T is one of the few Shaw made with an engine mounted sideways and it used a Briggs engine, not a Wisconsin.

Attachments

·
Transplanted flatlander
41 Posts
JDemaris,

Not sure of the model but this was a walking tractor that someone at one time made a four wheel tractor out of. JDCrawler is redoing it and making it more user friendly as the original conversion was not easy to use.

-Scrump

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Worked on the "bugs" today and got them all straightened out.

I made a flat metal bracket that bolts on the inside of the clutch pulley.
This bracket is bent on the end so it goes under the belt with about a 1/4 inch clearance between it and the belt.

Then I made another flat metal bracket that bolts to the top of the frame rail and fits over the transmission pulley.
This bracket also has about 1/4 inch clearance between it and the belt.

Here are the two brackets with the clutch engaged and the belt running.

When the clutch pulley is raised up, the bracket on the pulley grips the belt and holds it up against the bracket that is over the transmission pulley.
This stops the belt from moving so the transmission can be shifted easily.
It works good !

Next on the list was checking the charging system.
I switched the wires on the back of the volt meter but the volt meter still didn't work.
So I removed the volt meter and used a jumper wire to check it across the two terminals on the battery.
It reads a good 12 volts on the gauge so I'm assuming the volt meter is OK.

I then checked the wire from the regulator with a test light and it lights up when the engine is running.
So I took the old ammeter that was on the engine and hooked it up to the wires.
As you can see here, it is reading a charge with the engine running.

Do volt meters not work with starter/generators ?
This is the first volt meter that I've tried on anything.

A member here ( Scrumpy ) said that the step with the open bars on the ends gives him the willys and he thought it would be good to edge that with something less likely to bark my shins on.

So I took another look at that today.
I had rounded all the corners on each of the flat bars so there weren't any sharp edges but he's right that it could still do some interesting damage if I slipped and came down hard on it.

Here is the revised step with a rounded edge on it.

-

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
I can't see the pictures.......

Never mind.... I see them now....

Looks good Ray!!!! :thThumbsU

Merrie​

Merrie​

·
Transplanted flatlander
41 Posts
Ray,
If your amp meter works and your volt meter does not then you are wired into a circuit in a manner as if you cut a 12 volt wire and put your meter in line. the volt meter needs to have one side at 12 volts potential and the other at ground. the amp meter needs to be inline with the charging wire so the shunt inside can read the current but it acts like a price of wire. If you were to wire the plus side of the volt meter to the gen side of the amp meter and the minus side to ground it would work.

-Scrump

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ray,
If your amp meter works and your volt meter does not then you are wired into a circuit in a manner as if you cut a 12 volt wire and put your meter in line. the volt meter needs to have one side at 12 volts potential and the other at ground. the amp meter needs to be inline with the charging wire so the shunt inside can read the current but it acts like a price of wire. If you were to wire the plus side of the volt meter to the gen side of the amp meter and the minus side to ground it would work.

-Scrump
Thanks for the explanation Scrump.
This is my first experience with a volt meter and I didn't have any wiring diagram for it so I learned something new today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts