My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any easy way to sharpen a saw? or do you just toss them?

ive got a few hand saws, and one of those fat max keyhole type saws, all 3 are duller than a butter knife...

im putting up a vinyl fence and have had to do some minor cutting and all 3 are practically useless...

is there a way (or place) to sharpen the blades? or should i just go and get new ones?

·
Super Moderator
31,846 Posts
I never had good luck trying to hand sharpen them. there are people that have the tools to do it right. Frankly if its just a cheap modern saw, I would toss it myself. I have a few OLD Distens [I think thats how its spelled??] that I have to get sent out somewere. Dull as can be, but one of the best made saws ever!!!

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I never had good luck trying to hand sharpen them. there are people that have the tools to do it right. Frankly if its just a cheap modern saw, I would toss it myself. I have a few OLD Distens [I think thats how its spelled??] that I have to get sent out somewere. Dull as can be, but one of the best made saws ever!!!

The problem was not that the saw wasnt sharp...
The problem is the saw set...
A dull saw with good set will cut better than a sharp not set saw...

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Sharpening a saw is actually pretty easy. All you need is the correct sized saw file, but you can find those on the internet. If it is a rip saw, just file straight across, if it is cross cut, file it at an angle. Buy a saw set (an old stanley off ebay is best) and you are good to go. I actually cut the teeth on my old distons with just a file. Of course this only applies to old saws. New saws are "impulse" hardend. The teeth are basicaly harder than your file. If that is the case, pitch it.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Another skill lost to modern manufacturing and cheap labor, Justin. I recall several garage based saw sharpening businesses back in the 1960s.

Thanks for the post though. I have my first Stanley hand saw (7th birthday), and need to sharpen it or find someone who can.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
is there any easy way to sharpen a saw? or do you just toss them?

ive got a few hand saws, and one of those fat max keyhole type saws, all 3 are duller than a butter knife...

im putting up a vinyl fence and have had to do some minor cutting and all 3 are practically useless...

is there a way (or place) to sharpen the blades? or should i just go and get new ones?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless you have a lot of patients and a jeweler's eye these three tools to assist in your endeavor of saw sharpening is a must. They are 1) saw clamp, 2) saw set, 3) 6" slim taper file mounted to a file guide.

It's been said that practice makes perfect but I've been practicing for 50 years and I've yet to do a perfect one.:banghead3.

If they are quality brand name saws I send mine out to be sharpened.

And then on synthetic materials I often use a variable speed Saber saw with a fine tooth metal cutting (hacksaw) blade inserted and usually achieve satisfactory results.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,846 Posts
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then on synthetic materials I often use a variable speed Saber saw with a fine tooth metal cutting (hacksaw) blade inserted and usually achieve satisfactory results.

Ditto... I always use a hacksaw when cutting stuff like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts