My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father-in-law passed away in March of 2020 and now I have his chainsaws and the sharpener that I gave him for Christmas about three years before he passed.

The saws include one Husqvarna 142, a Poulan 2000, a Poulan 2300, a new Homelite in the case, a Homelite XL, a Homelite Super 2, and a Homelite XL12. I just brought them home a couple of days ago and have not been to get fresh 100% gas to mix up some fuel yet, so I have not run any yet. They all have spark at the plugs except for the Husqvarna. I will get a fresh plug for it and see what happens. If it takes a new coil to get it going I'll do that too.

The new Homelite. I doubt if it ever had more that one tank of fuel ran thru it.

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
Nice collection!

So what is the car? I'm thinking 49-50 chebby.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Close, it's our 1940 Chevy 2 door sedan, been in the family since I found in a local scrapyard in 1980. It has a 1962 engine, a 261 cubic inch "big" six out of a Chevy school bus with a 60s three speed trans, on the column. The front suspension is Mustang II with mid-size GM disc brakes adapted. Push is supplied by a Chevy 12 bolt rear axle. It serves us well and has been on several road trips over the years. Currently in bad need of a bath and a clutch replacement, both happening very soon. Thanks.

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
Close, it's our 1940 Chevy 2 door sedan, been in the family since I found in a local scrapyard in 1980. It has a 1962 engine, a 261 cubic inch "big" six out of a Chevy school bus with a 60s three speed trans, on the column. The front suspension is Mustang II with mid-size GM disc brakes adapted. Push is supplied by a Chevy 12 bolt rear axle. It serves us well and has been on several road trips over the years. Currently in bad need of a bath and a clutch replacement, both happening very soon. Thanks.
Cool. The tail lights had me confused as to what year. I don't think I ever saw those lights before.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. The tail lights had me confused as to what year. I don't think I ever saw those lights before.
The taillights are, like a lot of other '40 parts, 1940 only. Chevy used a lot of parts on '39s that were '39 only and then did it again, a lot of parts on 40s were '40 only.

On the chainsaws, The "new" Homelite in the case, with the 16" bar, the little XL, and the little Super 2 started and ran well. I will work on the others some more.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I now have all of them running except the Husqvarna and the XL12. I really want to get the XL12 going. I think it will be a keeper.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to a local show in a couple of weeks and I think I'll take the two Poulans and the Husqvarna, if I can get it running, and sell them. The Homelites are the start of my Homelite collection. I've already joined up over on the House of Homelite site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts