My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not posted on here in a while, life got REAL busy the past couple of years. I moved three times, finally buying the house I'm in now a few weeks ago, and I'm working on getting my workshop set up, finally.

A bit of history... I moved to my grandmother's efficiency apartment in 2013, then a few months later to the rental house next door. While there I found a nice big storage building for $1000, easily worth $4500 or more, 12x16, three windows, pre-wired, with a loft and built-in workbench. :thThumbsU It was on Craigslist and by the time I drove over the guy said he had about 30 calls. I bought it then and there and made arrangements to bring it to the rental house.

There was no power there then so I just used an orange extension cord and limited power to the lights and light tool use. But mostly, it was used for storage as the rental house was tiny (760 sq ft!!).

The missus and I wanted our own place so we looked and bought our present house in June and I made arrangements to move the building once again to it's final location. I had to cut a dogwood tree down to make room for it, but there's only about a dozen on the property...

Anyhoo, I got the building moved on a big rollback for only $350.00

I took pictures as I had opportunity so I'll post some of those and then keep updates going as I do them...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The pic above is from the old house as we were loading it on the truck. More to follow in a little while.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,741 Posts
Good to see you posting again, Morris :fing32: Keep us up to date with your workshop journey. And well, you know..........:wwp::wwp::wwp:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha! Funny, my old image hosting site, TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting, for some reason isn't accepting my uploads. It was great for forums because all I had to do was click the link to the picture for message boards and it would allow me to simply paste the code onto the text field. Now I have to figure out how to do it manually...

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Strange, Tinypic was working ok this morning. Anyway, I was living in Mooresville but my new house is 20 minutes away in Kannapolis. Full of pecan and peach trees, so I wanted to place the building away from those. The best place was in the far corner, and my building mover just looked at me when he saw the location and said, "You don't want much, do you?" :hide:

Really, though, even though it was a bit of extra work to get it there (tight turn backwards around a giant pecan tree), it's the perfect location. He got it dropped and I started the process of leveling it and getting the blocks under it.

My guy was a real pro, he had the best method of getting a building onto his rollback I'd ever seen. Instead of using the winch to pull it up, he lifted the end with his wheel lift and then got the blocks out from under it, and shifted the truck into neutral. Then he hit the winch and essentially pulled the truck under the building rather than pulling the building onto the truck. Lot less wear and tear on the winch that way.

Then, he dropped it where I asked and took off.

So, I had the task of jacking and leveling it. Anyone who's done this knows it's a PITA to get it right. I first had to get the building straight; it wasn't quite parallel to the house. I jacked the front end of the building and placed small bricks under the runners at an angle, so when I released the jack it would fall and move sideways. Six times of that and I had it straight.

Then came getting the blocks under it...

It took most of the day, but I started with the smallest, thinnest blocks and raised it a bit at a time, then jacked the other side, then to the other corners, back again, until finally it was at the height I needed it, and level.

Got it as close to level as I could, then got the blocks under the middle part in place.

And, it's in place...

:woohoo1:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still have blocks to get in place before I start really moving stuff in, under the center of the building. But that shouldn't be too hard.

Ok, next item up for bids... the roof.

RANT ALERT: People don't know how to install shingles anymore!!! Ugh. You know there's a little cellophane cover over a strip of tar on the top of shingles? Remove it before installing. Why? because it allows the shingles to adhere to the ones above them, creating a nice, tight solid roof. When it was transported I lost a good 15 or more shingles from the roof. Should have bought some tarp and stapled it over the roof, but time didn't allow that. I was following and watching the shingles blow off one by one. None of them had the cellophane strip removed. On the other hand, this happened the first time I moved it, also, and I had to replace some of those. I did it properly, and guess what? Not a single one of those so much as moved or flapped in the wind.

So, I borrowed my friend's ladder and got to work. I also had tree limbs pressing down on the roof and sawed those out of the way.

Got the shingles in place... hate they don't match but that's impossible anyway once they've been out in the weather.

·
22,321 Posts
Looking good. Nice roofing work. Good and straight.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks, I've had to do some roofing in the past...

You can probably guess what's next: POWER! Got to have power in my workshop, so I was thinking of getting some basic 12 gauge buriable feeder wire, but the more I thought, I figured the voltage drop and heavy amp usage of certain items (like a window AC unit) meant a heavier-duty wire. I was chatting with a friend on Facebook and he said he had a roll of service entrance wire and it was mine for the asking. Sweet!

And then we hit the jackpot. He had some cables and plumbing to lay to his buildings as well, so we were planning to split the cost of a trencher. His buddy works at a rental place and brought it to us FREE as a favor. :bannana: My friend dug his on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, and I got it Saturday afternoon.

He did manage to cut his gas line, unfortunately. While I was there we had 4 fire trucks arrive right at the same time a funeral procession was going by his house. Ouch.

Anyway, got my place taken care of Saturday afternoon...

If you look close you'll see a length of Romex 14-gauge sticking out of the ground. Apparently, there was a building where my shop is now at one point and the previous owners laid that illegally in the ground. Thankfully the electrician who worked on the house had already disconnected the wire. Whew!

Today, I got the cable laid along with an empty length of 1/2 inch conduit which I can push a phone line and cable TV line at some point in the future.

Tomorrow I start on the connections...

·
16,525 Posts
OK--you are looking good there so far!
You have done a lot of the 'scut' work by yourself--and I know you are tired...but when you accomplish things like this, without a huge out-lay of $$--it just feels so much better!:thThumbsU

Following along here-

glenn

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
I see your building is a bit higher off the ground than I am used to seeing. Is there a reason you have the floor that high? Nice building by the way, well worth the cost of relocating?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two reasons for the height of the building. It's actually only one cinder block high on the side in the above pic, and the slope of the lot is enough so that two on the opposite side brings it level. First, this is a very humid area, ground tends to get saturated at times and the height allows some airflow underneath so it doesn't stay damp. Second, I am planning to build lean-to's on each side for additional storage/workspace. The height allows me to do this without nailing into the shingled roof, but rather the soffit.

And yes, this is a very well-constructed building, easily worth about $5000 if I bought it new, and it's still in great shape even after three moves. Definitely worth the cost of moving!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And yes, I am tired... I've spent all summer packing and moving to this new house. But I've learned to prioritize and pace myself. Today was a good example.

I was planning to have it all hooked up by the day's end, but that didn't happen. I only need two circuits, one for lights and one for outlets. I just don't have that much heavy duty equipment like 220v compressors. I know, plan for the future, but most likely if I need heavier stuff I will use the basement workshop, closer to the main breaker panel.

Found out my used-but-good condition breaker panel I wanted to use is obsolete, and can't be used. So I had to buy a new one and new breakers. Getting all that straightened out took three trips to Lowes.

I had the ground rod already, so I decided to start with that. A few years ago my sister moved to an apartment and gave me her rod driver. (What the heck did she have a driver for??) But that thing was a lifesaver. The first four feet went quickly, but I got to the hard pack and I was averaging a half-inch on each downstroke after that.

Finally got it all the way in. Took about 40 minutes.

And that's all I really accomplished today. But I'm not complaining. Every step forward is a good step...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Setting up my new/old workshop: HOLD THE PRESSES!!

Major changes in my electrical setup happened this week. Quick bit of history (and yes, I'll be quick)... My maternal grandfather died young, when I was only 7. My best memories were spending time with him in his workshop. He was a world-class machinist with some great tools. I inherited a lot of them. But the big stuff was sold shortly after he died. A family friend bought his metal lathe and big drill press, and used them for the next 47 years. He is 90 now and not able to do any more shop work.

My grandmother, age 102, called them up and asked point blank, would they sell them back to me? The answer was yes, and I bought them extremely reasonably on the spot last week. Saturday I hauled the lathe and drill press to my shop with the help of a couple of stout friends and they're back in the family again!

This additional equipment meant heavier-duty wiring, so I opted for 3 20-amp circuits and one 15-amp. Plus a 15-amp circuit for the lights. I wound up building an entire load center beside the door, with a main breaker, light switch and sub-panel to house the individual circuits.

Getting the wires run... (sorry the image flipped, it refused to play nice and stand up straight!)

And the final product:

All I've got now is to tie the feeder wire to the main breaker and switch it on! Hoping to do that tomorrow. :praying:

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,994 Posts
Congrats on repatriating those family tools. That's such a great story. Enjoy them!

·
22,321 Posts
Now those are two very fine looking pieces of equipment. Good for you for getting them back. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
My father had that exact lathe and I think the drill press was the same, too...

Very cool.

Curious if you or the hauler got wide load permits for moving the building? Definitely over 8'6" wide.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, the building is 12' wide. I assume he got a permit, but I didn't ask. I had to get a permit for the building from the town and also the county.

Today was the big day, finally got all the connections wired in and flipped the switch, I got juice! Everything worked fine, no tripped breakers or arcing.

I'm definitely looking forward to learning how to use the lathe. I got tons of bits and cutters and all kinds of things I don't even know the names for. I've got a learning curve ahead, that's for sure!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts