My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a YT3000 a couple weeks ago, and finally got the chance to mow with it this weekend. To say the least I am very disappointed in it, and am returning it tomorrow. Do you think I will have issues with the return? There is a 90 day money back guarantee.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Tell us more about what is wrong and you should not have trouble.

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, to start with it came with a broken motion lever (the black plastic handgrip was stripped). Now to the actual reasons for disappointment: every little bump and the hood goes flying up, it leaves patches of grass all over the place even after leveling and re-leveling the deck. It makes some funny sounds like something is loose, but I'll be dammed if I can figure out what it is. Needless to say, I'm never going to be happy with it and just want to take it back and move on to a more suitable machine.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I cant say Im surprised...Shouldnt be a problem on the return, dont let em hassel you into another model, or into store credit.

Take your hard earned money and avoid AYP-Husky and MTD...and you should be alright.

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning towards a Toro timecutter or a Lawnboy ZTR. The cost up front is gonna hurt, but all in all I think the benefits outweigh the cost.

I believe they are made in the USA still? Doesn't Toro own Lawnboy now too?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Up front costs are given way too much weight in purchase decisions.

Long after the purchase price is forgotten you are using the equipment you bought.

I know it's sometimes hard to do but I try not to let the up front cost determine which machine I get. Seems like there are way too many low cost options to tempt the people who do.

I'd much rather buy a good quality used machine than a low cost new one.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Buy you a snapper LT200 for less than 3 grand,you'll be happier. No big box stores take stuff back and give you your money back,no problems expected there,but if they do,just raise slightly more cain,they will take it back.:drunkie:

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
TORO owns lawnboy, but MTD makes the TORO riding mowers. As far as I know TORO Still makes their own Z mowers.

Have you looked at brands like Simplicity and Snapper?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Dang, Stweiler, my 22 year old JD didn't have that many problems. Prices on 300 series seems to be declining too. Starting to see 318s for $1650.

I'm just saying...

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, every once in a while you'll see a JD 317/318/322 for around $2k, but they are usually well broken in. I'd love to get my hands on a decent one, but here in Iowa JD green is worth more than gold itself.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
yeah, every once in a while you'll see a JD 317/318/322 for around $2k, but they are usually well broken in. I'd love to get my hands on a decent one, but here in Iowa JD green is worth more than gold itself.
I got my 316 for 400 bucks, and it ran, poorly, but ran. Took another 500 to get it right, but it's a beast of a tractor.

Wish the motor didnt use so much oil, but it gives it character...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Hum, I didn't know Red is so down on AYP (Craftsman), guess it gives him a lot of work. I don't think a Toro is a step up. Look at the 2500 series Cub Cadet, I think they are a step up.

Still, I wonder what the problem was, how long/wet was the grass you were trying to cut? If I was making my first cut today, or even last week, I'd been mowing in low gear and having to cut in two directions as the grass would have been over a foot tall. Even a good mower can't give a good cut on real long (and worse, wet) grass.

Both my GT and DYT have been put into service and both continue to cut well, albeit the DYT blew a head gasket at ony 150 hours, but it runs great with the new gasket in place.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Hum, I didn't know Red is so down on AYP (Craftsman), guess it gives him a lot of work. I don't think a Toro is a step up. Look at the 2500 series Cub Cadet, I think they are a step up.

Still, I wonder what the problem was, how long/wet was the grass you were trying to cut? If I was making my first cut today, or even last week, I'd been mowing in low gear and having to cut in two directions as the grass would have been over a foot tall. Even a good mower can't give a good cut on real long (and worse, wet) grass.

Both my GT and DYT have been put into service and both continue to cut well, albeit the DYT blew a head gasket at ony 150 hours, but it runs great with the new gasket in place.
Im not down on AYP...I just hate to see a person get ripped like this.

OBviously this person has minimal expectations of a mower, he isnt asking all that much. Basically the hood doesnt need to be bouncing all over the place on rough parts of the yard...which AYP products down seem to have any kind of positive hood locking feature, like rubber straps, or a good latch, etc.. It needs to not sound lik it is about to fly apart...probably due to loose hardware, busted muffler baffle (cheap cheap cheap mufflers). The controls need to not come from the store falling off. And more importantly..its just being asked to mow grass, and it cant seem to do that...

And these complaints go hand in hand with what I see day in and day out...nothing new. im surprised he didnt mention the hokey seat and mount.

This man expects to buy a machine, bring it home, and have it...heaven forbid...actually cut grass right and not act like it's about to fall out from under him. Yeah, gonna have to open the wallet a little more...wont end up with a rediculously large deck, and wont have 27hp either, but you can get a mower that actually mows and works right.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
fwiw, Ive got 3 craftsman mowers. An LT-1000 (which is actually going to be scrapped soon, it served its purpose).

Ive got a 1994 19.5hp/46" cut LT Hydro...runs great, cuts great, Hydro is shot, Ive got a spare to drop on but it's just soooo much fun to do...ya know?

And the GT-5000, just waiting on a head gasket...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
My Craftsman experience over about a 20 year period is they are good value machines. I started with a 38" cut 12 HP LT, then I got the GT6000, and lastly the DYT4000. The LT is long gone to the recycle yard, but it "paid for itself", had to replace the starter once, and a mandrel a time or two. I suppose it had 1000 hours on it when I decided not to buy new belts for it the last time they broke. None of the machines have/had a strap down or other catch for the hood, but I can't say I ever noticed any bouncing around by the hood on any of these three machines. Then too, I run at a ground speed that is appropriate for the length/condition of the grass and the nature of the ground (flat, grade, bumpy...)

I am not opposed to taking something back when it doesn't meet advertised performance. But, being this is the Craftsman forum I decided to "drop in" when the set of posts seemed to steer away from Craftsman.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
I don't understand your troubles either. The Craftsman are not comparable to a 318 Deere, or maybe even a Simplicity, but they are a good solid low end LT/GT.

I have had my GT-5000 for 4 years now. Use it summer and winter, and I have not had any trouble with it, except for the Briggs air filter issue (Not a Craftsman problem) and when I first got it home there was an adjustment I had to correct on the hydro linkage.

The GT has right at 100 hours on it now, and still looks and runs like new. Hood stays shut just fine too, and looks like carpet behind the mower deck.

Sure sorry your rig didn't meet your expectations... I would take it back and get something you can live with!

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Do these mowers come completely assembled to the store, or does the store put them together, like install the deck, etc? If so, it might be the store and you might try a different place or avoid getting another one there; I dont know, am just wondering if that might be part of it.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
As far as I know, they are still shipped semi-assembled to the stores/distribution centers. Seat, steering wheel, tires/wheels, deck, hood, and the such all have to be installed.

The but the hoods bouncing up, and some even flying forward and breaking off if you have to make an sudden stop, isnt unheard of on Craftsman. The hood on my 1994 craftsman bit the dust when I had to stop suddenly when I saw some hose in the grass at the last second..snap, crackle...pop..hood is laying in front of the mower.

The hood on my LT-1000 nearly bit the dust when I found a new pot hole in my yard. Snapped forward and broke one of the mounting points but didnt bust off totally. Also broke the front axel.

All of my other machines either have a rubber strap on the back of the hoods, or a tight positive snap, or just a tight fit to the dash.

Most other machines offer some sort of positive engagement in the **** position...I think oven my GT5K does. But the LT craftsman dont seem to. Also Ive found that on uneven terrain the frame can flex so much the hood and dash go a good bit out of alignment, so any positive engagement would be a moot point.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.