My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a series 400 JD for pretty much nothing. The problem is that it is blown up. I don't have it in hand yet so I can't say exactly what is wrong with it other than the owner says his wife ran it without oil and blew it up. It is an early 80"s model. What are my options for repowering this thing? Is it worth messing with? It has a deck and a plow.

·
Super Moderator
16,345 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the link. Any ideas on what I could use to repower on the cheap? Also I am a capable mechanic so fixing the stock motor is an option.

·
Super Moderator
16,345 Posts
The only other thing I can suggest is a rebuild kit and rebuild it.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Keep an eye on places like the want ads here & Craigslist. I just picked up a Kohler Command CH18 from a welder for $200, to pu in a 317 chassis I bought for $40! I put want in www.weekendfreedommachines.com. ~~ grnspot110

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just sold a clean JD 400 but trans was making noises. Big mower. From what I read about them, they were made for heavy work and people usually worked them hard. Probably good you are a capable mechanic. Check part availability though, they aren't compatible with the 420s, 430s etc in terms of accessories. There definately is a following for those 400s though. Got alot of inquiries on mine off craigslist alone.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Think I got $400-$450 out of the 3 point on one I bought for about that amount of money with a bad cylinder. You can't lose whether you fix it or part it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys have got me stoked! My buddy is supposed to pick up the motor out of it this weekend. Then I can see what the damage is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts