My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My grandfather in-law has an old Ford tractor just sitting on the land my wife and I live on, which he said I could work on as my own. I don't know anything about the Ford tractors and don't know the model or anything. Where would an ID tag or anything be with a serial number? I'll take some pictures also and get them posted! Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres some pictures I just took. I saw that it does not have headlights on it it, but it looks like it did originally from the factory as there are holes on each side. Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, very helpful! Now to go see what year it is and if it will start!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
nice old 8n.looks like a 51-52.has the proof meter.

·
Registered
585 Posts
looks to be converted to 12v looks like an alternator on the side, speaking of serial numbers saw one at a tractor show for sale number was 112 sign said i looked at it was so rusted idk how anyone could have made it out guy was real proud of it though unrestored he wanted 3800 for it and it was rough mine looked like a show piece next to it

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I changed the fuel filter but still did not start. I did determine though that I'm getting fuel from the tank to the carb. I'm going to get a new dist cap and rotor since they look to be in pretty poor shape. I read on here that Napa carries the parts. I may just order online though since there's no Napa in my area. Points and pulling the dizzy kinda scare me though because I'm afraid I'll never get it in there correctly again. I also forgot to write the serial number down so I'll do that later to get an exact year model. I believe its a side mount dist since it's cocked off the the side.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW the sitckies are mighty helpful and so is the vendor that I found on there!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks guys. I changed the fuel filter but still did not start. I did determine though that I'm getting fuel from the tank to the carb. I'm going to get a new dist cap and rotor since they look to be in pretty poor shape. I read on here that Napa carries the parts. I may just order online though since there's no Napa in my area. Points and pulling the dizzy kinda scare me though because I'm afraid I'll never get it in there correctly again. I also forgot to write the serial number down so I'll do that later to get an exact year model. I believe its a side mount dist since it's cocked off the the side.
it is a side dist its got a tach which mean its prob not older than a 52 that was last year of the flat head cant remember when they started putting tachs on them, but with the tachs i believe there all side mounts real easy to work on

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
it is a side dist its got a tach which mean its prob not older than a 52 that was last year of the flat head cant remember when they started putting tachs on them, but with the tachs i believe there all side mounts real easy to work on
Tachs can be put on any N by changing out the governor.. We need the serial number...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I found the plate where the serial number is supposed to be but its been painted over so many times over the years that its un readable. Hopefully knowing that its a side mount dist helps me in finding parts. On the frame of the tractor, near the trans, theres a number stamped in that reads 8N-C. Anyways I'm giving the battery a full charge over night and am going to try and start it again in a couple days. I thought it may not have been firing before because I was only jump starting it and the engine may not have been spinning quick enough. Anyways thanks for all the help so far and I'm sure I'll need more along the way!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well I found the plate where the serial number is supposed to be but its been painted over so many times over the years that its un readable. Hopefully knowing that its a side mount dist helps me in finding parts. On the frame of the tractor, near the trans, theres a number stamped in that reads 8N-C. Anyways I'm giving the battery a full charge over night and am going to try and start it again in a couple days. I thought it may not have been firing before because I was only jump starting it and the engine may not have been spinning quick enough. Anyways thanks for all the help so far and I'm sure I'll need more along the way!
well maybe get a piece of paper hold it up to were serial number and rub a pencil over paper to see if it appears on paper. Also i would crank on it on and off (give your starter a break so it don't burn up) to get the oil up in the cylinder walls. Also you might check your points they should be shinny for a nice blue spark a kit at tractor supply is around $20 seems every tractor i work on thats been sittin needs a set.

·
Registered
585 Posts
oh p.s if taking points apart scare you there is a reference manual on this site that has shop manuals that will tell you how to tare tractor down and how to reassemble it. Oh and you could always post pics and ask these tractors are real simple to work on

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to goahead and pull the dist. Does it only go back in one way? I don't want to throw my timing off and am worried about not lining it up exactly right. Is it notched? I searched but didn't get a clear answer on the side mount distributor. Thanks

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Why are you pulling the dizzy? Just pull the cap off to acess the points. Clean them up with some sand paper or replace them.

Kirk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I'm pulling it is because I'm gonna have a friend show me in person how to do points. Even after reading on here about changing points, I still don't feel comfortable about doing myself. So how do I make sure I don't get it out of time when I stab the dist after I rebuild it?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The side mount dizzy ain't like the front mount. you pull it and I can promise you you WILL get it out of time. Change the points on the tractor, it isn't hard and if you have someone who can show you surely they can get some time to show you how without removing the dizzy.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Most of the time points don't even need to replaced unless they are too far gone. Open them up with a flathead screw driver or your fingernail, stick a small piece of sand paper in between and polish both sides or replace. It's a lot easier then pulling the dizzy.

Kirk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts