My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know it sounds cynical...but if the realtors tell you that you should be concerned...they will lose the sale...and their commission...if you contact a real estate lawyer in that county you may be able to get some useful information...do you need a lawyer for the closing down there?
Also in the contract it said the attorney doing the closing would be the attorney for both the seller and buyer........I said no freaking way we will get our own.

Yes, we have been talking to a attorney down there, things are different in Virginia though, they never even heard of a 3 day attorney review period for looking over a house sale contract.

Who is suppose to obtain a CO, been awhile since we bought a house. How would they even know the owner added 2 bedrooms, does someone go in each house when sold?

Things sure are going to be different down south......just hope things turn out okay.

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
[a

·
6,334 Posts
It is sometimes done that a lawyer represents both sides.....a blatant conflict of interest...the seller is supposed to have everything in "saleable" circumstances....meaning everything is supposed to be legal..all COs in order...all additions and work "signed off" ..you could use this as leverage to reduce the price..in which case you have to stand back and figure out what has to be made legal and how much any alterations to be brought into compliance could cost

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's more of how good is the septic field, the tank is really for settling so that the solids don't go out the line, 1000 gallon tank is pretty large. Think mine for similar sized house was the same size. PO had 5 kids and never had any issues with it.
Not necessarily. Around here the size of the setic system is determined by how many bedrooms, not bathrooms or fixtures. So going from 3 to 4 bdrms adds about 4k, imagine going to 5 bdrm would add another 4k.

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow that septic tank size table is much different from Virginia. Virginia code 12VAC5-610-815 below. I have a 5 bedroom house that was built in 1991 and the original owners (I am no. 2) only had a 750 gallon tank installed, but I knew that there were never more than 3 people living in the house until I bought it in 2014. Still going strong and with only my wife and I, I expect it to go much longer. Now, resale may be a big problem.

12VAC5-610-815. Septic Tank Design.
A. Tank capacity. The minimum hydraulic detention time shall be 48 hours based on daily design flow. In no case shall the septic tank capacity be less than 750 gallons. Table 5.2 contains the minimum required septic tank capacities for dwelling units.
Table 5.2.
Septic Tank Capacities for Dwelling Units.
No. of BedroomsApproximate Tank Volume in Gallons

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow that septic tank size table is much different from Virginia. Virginia code 12VAC5-610-815 below. I have a 5 bedroom house that was built in 1991 and the original owners (I am no. 2) only had a 750 gallon tank installed, but I knew that there were never more than 3 people living in the house until I bought it in 2014. Still going strong and with only my wife and I, I expect it to go much longer. Now, resale may be a big problem.

12VAC5-610-815. Septic Tank Design.
A. Tank capacity. The minimum hydraulic detention time shall be 48 hours based on daily design flow. In no case shall the septic tank capacity be less than 750 gallons. Table 5.2 contains the minimum required septic tank capacities for dwelling units.
Table 5.2.
Septic Tank Capacities for Dwelling Units.
No. of BedroomsApproximate Tank Volume in Gallons
Where abouts in Virginia?

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Verona, north of Staunton.
Oh you are up by Massanutten, we have been there a few times, we will be about 2 hours south of you close to I-81

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure exactly where in VA but I moved from SC to Scott County VA and things are indeed different here in the mountains. I got a traditional mortgage on my house and the credit union didn’t even require an inspection.

I paid for one, and paid the guy to inspect the septic system just for my peace of mind.

Far SWVA is VA in name only.....might as well be part of TN or KY. Nothing like the DC suburbs or tidewater parts of the state.

We are about 45 minutes to Kingsport, TN and 1 hour to Cumberland Gap in KY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The house is in Pulaski County, Virginia , not far from where you are.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts