My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of buying a house in Southwestern Virginia. Could some oen explain to me when buying a house the the Septic Inspector what he would do to inspect it.

I know how they would do in NJ. Just want to know what they do in Virginia, if it is different.

Thank you

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you look up the website for the County where the house is located you should be able to find information on septic tank inspections. If not, call the County offices and have them direct you to department in charge of inspections. They can tell you anything you need to know.

·
Daryl G
930 Posts
We just purchased a new home and moved in last month - our new place is in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. As part of the home inspection, the septic system was inspected and this consisted of the inspector placing dye in one of the toilets and flushing it. Later he examined the drain field for evidence of the dye (success was NOT seeing any evidence of the dye). Just last week, we had the septic system pumped as a precautionary measure because you never know how the previous owners treated/mistreated the system... as it can get very expensive if it is in poor condition. Luckily, ours was in great condition - and we were told to get it pumped every three to five years (our new home was built in 2013 and this was the first time the tank had been ever pumped). I have no idea as to what the state of Virginia requires but Dee_Veloper offered some very good advice.

Interesting tidbit... we built our previous home in Alabama in 2017. There were zero inspections / zero permitting requirements for our county EXCEPT for the septic. It had to be inspected prior to covering up the tank and field lines. That was the only inspection!

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn if I can find any information on septic inspections, the house is located in Pulaski County, Virginia . On the Draper Valley Golf Course.

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
I see all kinds of info for new home inspections but nothing for home sales. It may be a requirement to secure the loan not a county requirement.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,180 Posts
I see all kinds of info for new home inspections but nothing for home sales. It may be a requirement to secure the loan not a county requirement.
You're probably correct on that. When we refinanced the bank required it along with water test prior to closing on loan. Again it was just putting dye and inspecting field to see if any was present.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Contact the health department for that area, they are usually the ones in charge of septic systems. You could also call a service co, they should also know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I bought my current house in 2014, in Augusta County Virginia, there was no requirement for septic inspection. I went to the health department in the county to get records on the construction of the septic and the well, then as a requirement for purchase, requested the septic be pumped and inspected at sellers cost.

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another issue in all of this seller added 2 bedrooms to the house, one in the basement and one in the upstairs loft.

Added 2 bathrooms too, so now it's 5 Br and 4 1/2 baths

Septic though never upgraded, only 1000 gallon tank, thinking maybe it should be larger. Only my wife and I though and occasionally relatives staying over now and then.

CO for additions scares me a little bit too, worrying if they can come back onus because they never got permits...........things in Virginia seemed to be low keyed though compared to NJ.

Not sure to go forward with sale or look for another house.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
No more solar for you. I bet the solar helped in your sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
It's more of how good is the septic field, the tank is really for settling so that the solids don't go out the line, 1000 gallon tank is pretty large. Think mine for similar sized house was the same size. PO had 5 kids and never had any issues with it.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Any pictures of the new house? Are you close to the Blue Ridge Parkway?

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No more solar for you. I bet the solar helped in your sale.

Yeah, going to miss the solar......................but taxes will only be a 1/4 of what we were paying for a house half the size of the new house.

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any pictures of the new house? Are you close to the Blue Ridge Parkway?

like 40 minutes from it

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's more of how good is the septic field, the tank is really for settling so that the solids don't go out the line, 1000 gallon tank is pretty large. Think mine for similar sized house was the same size. PO had 5 kids and never had any issues with it.
Only 13 years old.

·
6,334 Posts
You are moving to a beautiful area...best of luck with it....but it sounds like you are paying cash...if you were taking a mortgage you would not get it without all COs in place...this will come back on you when you go to sell...future buyers will have to be cash and willing to assume the risk as you are thinking of doing...., as the banks will not issue them a loan at that time unless you "legalize" everything...in most jurisdictions it costs more to legalize than the originals permit would have been...you have to obtain the permits and if everything does meet code you then get the COs...if not you have to correct or remove

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are moving to a beautiful area...best of luck with it....but it sounds like you are paying cash...if you were taking a mortgage you would not get it without all COs in place...this will come back on you when you go to sell...future buyers will have to be cash and willing to assume the risk as you are thinking of doing...., as the banks will not issue them a loan at that time unless you "legalize" everything...in most jurisdictions it costs more to legalize than the originals permit would have been...you have to obtain the permits and if everything does meet code you then get the COs...if not you have to correct or remove
True, realtors are saying don't worry about though, things are really layed back in Virginia, we don't know what to think.

·
6,334 Posts
I know it sounds cynical...but if the realtors tell you that you should be concerned...they will lose the sale...and their commission...if you contact a real estate lawyer in that county you may be able to get some useful information...do you need a lawyer for the closing down there?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts