41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hello, Just wanted to let you know I have been reading every single post. It has been so informative, a fount of knowledge, and an incredibly helpful resource . My son is away at school so I'm doing this on my own by using all your guidance. Thank you all so much. Today I had the front tires replaced on site (they were shot). Tomorrow I'm having the local servicer come pick it up and take it in for inspection. I'll know then about the battery condition and the hours (!) Get back to you when I know more.
Lisa

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lisa,
Sorry I’m not close. Helping several widows here helps me understand some of what you are going through. That’s why I posted earlier that some other MTF member that might be close and might give you a hand. What you described isn’t difficult if you’ve done it before, but when you have to take care of things you’ve never done, that’s another story. Not having to hire it all done would also save you a fair amount of $$$. Maybe if you have some retired guy nearby? We often are looking for something to do to keep from getting bored and to keep the brain from getting rusty. Here’s wishing you well with this task.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My JD X595 is finally ready for delivery from the local servicer next week. It needed a new battery after all. He also gave it a "service kit" (I was told this is the oil change and the 4 filters), and replaced the 3 blades. Between parts, labor and tow the cost will be $650 when delivered. Last week I replaced the 2 shot front tires at a cost of $255. I now have what the servicer describes as a "very solid machine". He even gave me 2 phone #'s of customers who saw it and might be interested in purchasing. I know that many of you offered pricing guidelines when there were a lot of unknowns at the time. Now that there is a clearer picture of just what I have, could I ask you again please for advice on pricing before I call those 2 leads?
I have:
- JD X595 diesel lawn and garden tractor with 54C mower deck, which I believe he purchased in 2004
-1337.9 hours
-seat and hood replaced 2013 (and remained unused thereafter)
-new front tires 1/2020
-new battery 2/2020
-new blades 2/2020
-"service kit" 2/2020
-cosmetically nice condition
-located Chico CA

Thanks very much,
Lisa

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would guess that rubber in and around Chico, Ca is very expensive….lawn tractor tires that would be. Here is my neck of the woods those two (2) 18x8.50-10" front tires for the X595 would cost about $79.00 for the two, and another $20.00 for mounting and balance on the old rims. $156.00 for labor of what ever is just too much tp pay over what a tire shop should charge.
Now that you have added $905.00 to the cost, you might be lucky to get it back in selling the 2004 X595 with 1338 hours, and hoping you may sell it for $6,000.00.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doing all that work makes it easier for people to judge the tractor. I believe the cost charged was excessive too, but you didn't have the knowledge/ability/desire to do the work yourself. It is done now, so best to move on.

At 1300 hours, it will be much easier to get more than one person interested. The X595 is a great machine and I am sure there are many people who would be interested in it. Looking at machine finder, I don't see a lot for sale. There are a couple at $4500-5K, but they look pretty beat up. At $7K and above it easier to find a newer machine with even fewer hours and in better shape. So $6K, seems reasonable. I would ask your servicer guy what he thinks is reasonable. The local market can vary a lot. It also depends on how much time and negotiating skills you have to spend on this.

A long time ago, I bought a new chipper. It was a top of the line home owner type. I think I paid $3.5K for it. I used it for two seasons (probably about 25-30 hours total) before I bought a used small commercial one for even more money. I knew I was not really going to get my much of my money back. So, I was never motivated to sell it. This year, I finally cleaned it up and made sure everything was working. I listed it for what I thought was a fair price $2,250. This is about half of what a new one would cost. It took awhile to get someone interested. I guess not that many people have a need for one or don't want to pay for one. Finally I got someone who was interested and they came by. They had $2K in cash, so we made a deal. Luckily, I had someone else interested, so I didn't have to make a really hard decision if they had given me a really low ball offer. They had traveled a long distance and showed up when they said they would, so it was worth the slight discount on my asking price to be done with the process. It was a little sad to see Chippy go, but I am sure he went to good home and will get a lot more attention there.

Spring is coming, so there will be more people looking. Figure out what is the lowest price you are willing to accept and also what you think is fair. I like it when both parties feel like they got a great deal.

·
10,357 Posts
Here in Minnesota, that would be a $5,500 to $7,000 machine. GT’s are harder to find in California.
I would price the machine in the upper $6,000 range.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Remember you can always go down in price, but you can never go up (barring a bidding war, which isn’t likely to happen).

While it seems you paid more than many of us deem reasonable for that work, I think a lot has to do with your location. I have family in the Santa Clarita area and everything is more expensive there than here in PA. I think if you trust the dealer and feel good about the work, then it was worth it.🙂

·
Registered
391 Posts
1300 hours and turnkey is far easier to sell than 3100 hours and not running...well done. Some folks will still think 1300 hours is too high but I think you have a solid $5-6K machine if you are patient. Good luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lisa here is my opinion. I believe market value depends alot on your location. So if it was mine here in MN I'd price it at $6500 and give it a week or two before changing price. If you have no interested callers you can always lower your asking price. Also I dont know when your mowing season begins but it would sell easiest very early in the mowing season. For us it would be late April early May depending on mother nature your region is most likely different.

Now if you can't store the machine and/or need the money real bad you can ask a lower price and it will sell very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2,233 Posts
Lisa, you have a John Deere dealer there in Chico, California. I know he sells small tractors. He has 8 other John Deere dealerships in the area. I would ask him if he can purchase it or try to sell it for you. Looking on google maps, he has small tractors on his lot for sale.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Giving the thought, that a John Deere dealer don't make any profit(s) on their new or used equipment, would be a joke.
Should Lisa ask a Deere dealer in the area, she might at best get a offer of $2300 and at best a $2600 if the dealer has a person waiting outside to buy a 2004 X595 with 1339.7 hours for a price of $6500 as is.

·
Super Moderator
26,673 Posts
Actually I would ask that dealer if they have an X595 for sale and see what they are selling them for. Then price your machine under their pricing by a few hundred. Hours will need to be looked at though as that is the normal thing folks look at.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Machinefinder.com resolves all the suggestions people are making about who to ask, if the local dealer actually has L&G stuff, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Any luck on the sale yet?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts