My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my husband's JD X595 diesel lawn and garden tractor with 54C mower deck, which I believe he purchased in 2004. I don't know a thing about tractors, engines, etc. I know that he maintained it regularly and that there was a major servicing/overhaul done in Feb 2013 when the engine fluids/filters were replaced, engine tuned, lubrication, spark plugs replaced, blades sharpened, seat replaced, hood replaced. I think meter read was 3100. Then in March 2013 another servicing was done with some parts replaced--bulbs, fuel tank etc. I think the meter read was ~100 higher. Starting shortly after that the tractor was not used, only started up occasionally for the battery. It sat in our driveway. Now in 2020 I have to sell it. The front tires have gone flat. The rear tires need air / maybe need replacement? It won't start--battery is dead. It may start with a jump start, but very well may need a new battery. This a hardship sell, but I don't want to be *****. Neither my son nor I know how to proceed. How do we market and sell this?? What is it worth? Should we bite the bullet and get the tires, battery, tuning done at at least $1,000, possibly much more, and market it in great shape. Would we ever recoup that investment? Or, should we sell as is? And where do we list this? How long do such listings take to sell usually? I don't even know the right questions to ask here to get advice. Pricing guidelines? Please help. See my next post for the pictures.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was my previous post...

I am selling my husband's JD X595 diesel lawn and garden tractor with 54C mower deck, which I believe he purchased in 2004. I don't know a thing about tractors, engines, etc. I know that he maintained it regularly and that there was a major servicing/overhaul done in Feb 2013 when the engine fluids/filters were replaced, engine tuned, lubrication, spark plugs replaced, blades sharpened, seat replaced, hood replaced. I think meter read was 3100. Then in March 2013 another servicing was done with some parts replaced--bulbs, fuel tank etc. I think the meter read was ~100 higher. Starting shortly after that the tractor was not used, only started up occasionally for the battery. It sat in our driveway. Now in 2020 I have to sell it. The front tires have gone flat. The rear tires need air / maybe need replacement? It won't start--battery is dead. It may start with a jump start, but very well may need a new battery. This a hardship sell, but I don't want to be *. Neither my son nor I know how to proceed. How do we market and sell this?? What is it worth? Should we bite the bullet and get the tires, battery, tuning done at at least $1,000, possibly much more, and market it in great shape. Would we ever recoup that investment? Or, should we sell as is? And where do we list this? How long do such listings take to sell usually? I don't even know the right questions to ask here to get advice. Pricing guidelines? Please help. See my next post for the pictures.....

Now here are the pictures...Pictures of JD X595

2,239 Posts
Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum. Are the hours on the tractor 3100 or 310 point zero? If it says 3100 is there another zero to the right like 3100 point zero? That's what you have to verify first. Making repairs is beneficial. They are minor. Looking on some websites the tractor maybe worth anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 depending on if the tractor starts up and runs and the hours are 310 or 3100. You don't want to rush and sell it cheap. Take your time and try and get as much as possible.

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
If You Put It Back Into operating condition You'll get a Better Price for it. By Blue Book Subtract 10 to 15% off for each year Based On the Price You Paid In 2004 If You Put In into operating condition add $1,000 to what ever Price You come Up with after subtracting 10 to 15% a year AT MSRP with a 54inch deck Before Tax It was $12,599 so figure you Probably paid over $13,000 new But if you just subtract 10% it wouldn't be worth anything as it 16 years old Basically Blue book is what a dealer really deals with meaning they won't give You a Lot for it(under $1,000 even if In Operation condition) Ball Park I would say based On 3,200 Hrs maybe you could get $3,000 to $3,500 if You put it Into Operating condition. But that is a lot of Hours even for Diesel

6 years ago I traded a 2003 JD X485 which was 2WD & a electronic Fuel Injected Gas engine with 350 Hrs for equivalent to $5,000 In attachments Might have been $5,500 I just don't remember the exact Number. But that X485 also Had a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch & a 540RPM rear PTO Plus a 7bu Power flow and a 48inch deck

It really depends On where You sell it Craigs List Usually takes a while. eBay Can be fast especially if You don't Put a high reserve on it :)

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
no way thet tractor has 3100 hours on it. It's in to good of condition for that many hours......First thing I would do is check all the fliuds and jump it and see if it starts. Then take a picture of the hour meter so we can all read it.

Just curious you said he purchased it new, just how large of lot(property) was he using this tractor to cut?

Any other attachments? what state are you located in?

·
Registered
549 Posts
In addition to the picture of the hour meter, I’d suggest pictures of the serial number tags from both the frame of the tractor and from the top of the mower deck. They’re rectangular white stickers with numbers and a bar code. This allows us to decode what year it is and other specifics for parts changes and whatnot.

·
2,881 Posts
Lisa...once you decide how you are going to handle it ...we do have a "classifieds" section on MTF where you could post it for sale...you should include the state you are in so people reading have an idea ofwhat the pick up would entail...good luck with it

·
Registered
549 Posts
Facebook Marketplace will likely yield the best results, but certainly list it in the classifieds here and also try craigslist as there are still some stragglers holding out on that site.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Facebook Marketplace will likely yield the best results, but certainly list it in the classifieds here and also try craigslist as there are still some stragglers holding out on that site.

Truth be told - I've had better luck buying/selling on Craigslist over marketplace. However (addressing Lisa), with both of those sites please be extra careful/cautious with scammers and shady characters,

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I have to be careful here because this could be either a silly scam to fool people on this forum or a simple mistake. Look at the pictures of the deck. I have flipped many JD's and even with less than 100 hours, they don't look this good. Look at the decals on the switches. There we see very bright and clear decals which would be extremely unlikely at 3,100 hours. The seat, paint and blackness of the plastic are way too bright for that many hours. The only thing that looks messy is the oil fill cap on the engine. Check out the muffler. Have any of you ever seen a 3,100-hour muffler that still had the factory finish on it? I haven't seen one like that with 300 hours on it. I smell a rat here and until we actually hear back from Lisa, I think we are being played.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The deck on this X595 appears to be 3100 hour one. The seat is a replacement as the original didn't look like the one in the pictures. Of course, one could buy a older used deck an installed it under this tractor. No 310 hour tractor mower deck should look like it went through a typhoon. In fact if you type in 2004 X595 on the internet you probably find a site that list many photos of a X595, and you just may find some picture of the same pictures as listed here.

·
Super Moderator
13,207 Posts
Looks like a nice machine. I would agree about confirming the hours. Based on the pictures 310 seems more realistic. What state is the machine located in? That will have a big adjustment on value.

Price wise: X595's have been selling in the 3,000-6,000 range with only a deck. If this machine has 310 hrs on it I think it would be worth having it serviced - filters, fluids, battery, etc, but as you indicated that take money! So as it sits I think most buyers would be closer in the 3,000 range. (If it was within a couple hundred miles of SD I'd offer 3,000 based on the pictures and a person inspection).

If you have it serviced etc I think closer to the 5,000 range is a bit more realistic. The deck looks a bit worn but based on the pictures I get the impression the yard has a number of obstacles and is smaller.

Let us know your location and the hours on the machine.

I have to be careful here because this could be either a silly scam to fool people on this forum or a simple mistake. Look at the pictures of the deck. I have flipped many JD's and even with less than 100 hours, they don't look this good. Look at the decals on the switches. There we see very bright and clear decals which would be extremely unlikely at 3,100 hours. The seat, paint and blackness of the plastic are way too bright for that many hours. The only thing that looks messy is the oil fill cap on the engine. Check out the muffler. Have any of you ever seen a 3,100-hour muffler that still had the factory finish on it? I haven't seen one like that with 300 hours on it. I smell a rat here and until we actually hear back from Lisa, I think we are being played.
Then why don't you just report the post instead of trying to scare folks looking for help away? Hopefully Lisa returns for additional comments and help, although after the last couple of posts I don't see why she would. I certainly wouldn't feel welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for responding. Never done a forum before, didn't know what to expect. This tractor is in Chico CA, and if anyone is nearby I sure would welcome the help. I too was questioning the "meter read" reported on the last 2 service invoices, but since I don't know any better I took it at face value. Now that there is so much questioning I have a call in to the tractor servicing place to see what's going on. I wish I could just turn it on and see the meter, but the battery is dead. Then, if I were to charge it and get it started, I don't know if I would cause a problems/damage since its been sitting for so long. I will say this, there's not a large yard here in Chico, but this tractor travelled with us across the country from a farm in VA with lots of acreage. The big fields were handled by much larger farm equipment. But my husband used this JSX595 all the time in the fields in front of the house. Don't know how big they were but that's where the mini's (horses/donkeys) were, so not too small. The seat was replaced, by the way, in Feb 2013, and then like I said shortly after that the tractor was not used anymore, so yes it is new looking. I will get back once I hear from the tractor servicing place. Thank you all for the help/advice so far. Really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
26,909 Posts
Well, then it may be the hours are correct, but that would be a huge factor on resale so worth checking out! The mower definitely looks like something from a machine that has over 300 hours on it. But that could just be from using it in fields where the unexpected happens a lot!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lisa, If you've got a charger/jumper like for a car, hook it up to battery, turn key to "On" and panel & hour meter should light up...no need for tractor servicing place for $$$! Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the meantime...for the skeptics: Here is my son back in 2007 in the front fields in VA with this JD X595. This is how he learned to drive !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,909 Posts
Lisa, unfortunately we see scammers on here occasionally, it's pretty obvious you aren't and shouldn't have been on the receiving end of the post like that. No better way for a young boy to learn to drive!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think it would be worth your time to get the tires aired up and a new battery installed.

If the tires leak down after you reinflate them you can put tubes in them. I'd guess at most tubes would be $50 installed. New front tires will be around $250.

The battery I'd guess is around $125. It will most likely give you more money on the sale having the seller know the hours on the machine and knowing it runs vs. selling in unknown hours or mechanical condition.

The value changes drastically depending on your location. It looks nice cosmetically so around here that machine in good mechanical condition would be around $5,000-6,000. As it sits with flat tires and dead battery I'd say around $2,500-3,500. My prices are with average hours of about 750. If yours has 310 my prices are little to low, if it has 3100 my prices are little to high. Prices in your region may vary. You can search the web for local dealers to get a idea of prices of other X595's in your area.

If you have any questions about how to get the tractor running we will be glad to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Never doubted you Lisa, looks like a nice piece of property too. Having all the records of repairs and maintenance will help in the sale. I might even be interested in buying it from you if you weren't so far away from NJ.

Price will be depended on the hours on the tractor. Hopefully the receipts you have on the work will help in getting the real hours on the tractor.

Good Luck with your sale and be real careful. Just don't give it away. Always start high and make offer is a good way to start if you aren't ina super rush needing the money.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I apologize Lisa for doubting your post. Here in the Atlanta area, fake posts are so common that I forget there are real people out there. I just read three obvious scams on FB last night and two on CL list this morning. The advice you are getting is good and the more you can do to get it up and running the more you will make from it. If it truly is 3,100 hours then not only did your husband take good care of it but selling it will be easier because of the appearance. I think the thing that got most of our attention was the hours on the meter. I have looked at many 25 to 30-year tractors of all types and have never seen one with that many hours on it so I cannot offer any advice on what it should look like. Talk to the local dealer and he will be able to give you some idea about what it will be worth in your area. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts