My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just some crazy cat...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I decided to sell my old vehicle on ebay. This is the first time I've ever sold a vehicle. The only other time I disposed of one it was traded in. Anyway, the auction closed and the guy has paid. That was 16 days ago but the vehicle is still in my driveway.

Should I have put a clause in the auction about picking up within a certain amount of time? The buyer is a few states (several hundreds of miles) away. He has a transportation company (it sounds like a one-man operation) that will come pick it up, but he (the transport guy) hasn't contacted me. I've e-mailed him (and the buyer) a couple of times. The buyer has responded that he'll have his transport guy contact me, but so far that hasn't happened.

So now it looks like I'm providing free vehicle storage. That's OK for now, but when my new truck arrives I'm going to need the old one out of the way. Worst case, I'll have a buddy bring his flatbed trailer over and we'll haul it over to my rural property and store it there until he picks it up.

Does this kind of thing happen a lot?

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Always put time limits in the future (for non-refundable deposit, payment and pickup). :fing32:

What's the status of the payment? Hopefully you're not dealing with some sort of scam artist.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
What's the status of the payment? Hopefully you're not dealing with some sort of scam artist.
Ditto! how did he pay, if it was through Paypal make absolute sure it is in your account not some shame website you have to get a link through.....

·
Just some crazy cat...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... if it was through Paypal make absolute sure it is in your account not some shame website you have to get a link through.....
It was through Paypal. I put a time limit on a deposit (24 hours) and full payment (1 week). He did the deposit right away and the balance of the full payment a few days later. I transferred the funds to my bank account as soon as Paypal permitted it (13 days ago) and there have been no attempts by him to cancel the transaction or get the money back, so other than not being eager to pick up the vehicle it seems legit.

He said he also purchased a vehicle in Ohio that he plans on having his guy pick up on the same trip, but I would have thought he'd try to get the vehicles faster.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
It was through Paypal. I put a time limit on a deposit (24 hours) and full payment (1 week). He did the deposit right away and the balance of the full payment a few days later. I transferred the funds to my bank account as soon as Paypal permitted it (13 days ago) and there have been no attempts by him to cancel the transaction or get the money back, so other than not being eager to pick up the vehicle it seems legit.

He said he also purchased a vehicle in Ohio that he plans on having his guy pick up on the same trip, but I would have thought he'd try to get the vehicles faster.
transferring your money womt help if the buyer does a charge back.
Paypay will sue you for your money if it's not in your account.
I sold a camper as is and the person decided he did not want it after I transferred the money. Paypal made me put the money back into the account untill they looked into it. I won the case but Paypal keep my money tied up for 6 months while they looked into it.

·
Just some crazy cat...
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update to my original thread. The guy picked up the truck a couple of weeks ago. He'd had a string of bad luck (problems with his original transport company, truck problems of his own.) It turned out that my other vehicle won't be here for a while so the old one wasn't in the way and I was able to store it for an extra month. So the whole thing took a bit longer than expected but it all worked out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad it worked out. I'm selling my Mustang on eBay for the 2nd time now. First time someone made an account and bid on a bunch of stuff and then never paid. This time, there's another bidder with 1 feedback, about the same as what the last guy had (both bidder have used smartphone purchases for their 1 feedback). I guess someone thinks it's funny to not let me sell the car, but with a 1 week auction, 1 week to pay, and then the time to wait on the non-paying bidder resolution... doing this over and over is getting old fast. By the time the week and a half or so after the auction is up, then your next highest bidders have had time to find a different car. :mad: I can ask the bidder if they'll let me retract their bid, but it looks like they have to agree to it. Hopefully I'll get lucky and they'll find a new hobby soon, cause I'd really like to get the car out of here soon (like last week).

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,707 Posts
Years ago I sold a pickup truck... Guy wanted it, paid me, the check cashed OK, so I transferred title and did the appropriate notifications to the State. Mailed him the keys. A week later the truck is still sitting in front of my house.

It took one call to the guy telling him that he'd better come get it in two days or I'm calling it in as abandoned.

Sounds like I was lucky.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
my friends dad sold a 65 GTO to a guy about 18 years ago, it sat in his yard another 15 years, then the guy finally picked it up, I offed to buy it from my friends dad a lot of times, he still had the title :dunno:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a 1957 Chevy 2 door hardtop and 1956 Chevy 4 door station wagon for $75.00 back in 1977.Brought the hardtop home and kinda forgot about the station wagon.
Think if I went back it would still be there?;)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out, there are some shady things hat happen on eBay and craigslist, but I have not had bad deals yet, pretty easy to weed out the scammers, usually if the deal seems to good to be true it is.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,029 Posts
A few years ago I was watching a boat on EBay that was located 850 miles away. I contacted the owners and requested their phone number to get more info, as the boat was quite expensive. I explained to them that I wouldn't be able to come and get it for three weeks and they said that would be ok. So I bid and won. That is really the proper way to extend your pickup time but unfortunately many people don't see it that way. The best way around it if you are a seller is to state the maximum time you can keep the item. There is no guaranty that buyers will adhere to that time limit but it may make slackers think twice before bidding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts